Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bicep thickness

S

simonjpa

Sep 10, 2010
What are some good lifts for making my biceps thick? They have a pretty good peak so far, but i think they lack some thickness. What are some lifts that have got your biceps thicker from your own personal experience ?

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
Wide Barbell curls,And lots of hammer curls.

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
Basic movements... barbell & dumbbell curls.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
cross body hammer curls have done wonders for my biceps.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
drag curls, 21's and pinwheel hammers like fixx said.
pretty much all of the above

V

vin1080

Oct 22, 2011
OK,I guess I'll be the one to write a small book here :) Ok,everyone gave great examples of what exercises to use. But honestly,you may think I'm crazy but you know what made my arms go from thin long lanky looking 17.5" arms to around 20 inches. 2 things.....a massive weight gain and I took a few months off from working out arms specificaly. I did all big power movements with big weight. The only thing I would do specificaly for bi's would be hammer curls with the rope attachment on cables. I do a movement that you'll sit like your doing a row but where my back would be at full contraction, thats where I begin the curl. When the rope handles touch my front delts thats where I squeeze. To me it feels like it forces your biceps to move the weight by leaning forward. This was the only bicep exercise I did for those couple of months.
One thing I'm sure everyone has told you already,or I hope atleast,is that your not going to gain mass on your arms unless you gain weight. You can change the shape of certain muscles without gaining weight. But if you want to gain size your going to have to gain some decent weight. Theres a rule of thumb as far as how much weight you need to gain to grow your arms "X" amount. For example 1 inch will require 25-30lbs of weight gain. Thats not exact,it's just an example but you get the idea. I went from 17.5" arms to 20" by going from 185lbs to 248lbs. And I have naturally muscular arms,but not very large arms. I gain on my arms really quickly but when I start getting up to whats considered "big" for me it gets harder and harder to gain. Arms are funny. I've made my biggest gains when I wasn't even trying to make big arm gains. I think it's because it's so easy to overtrain arms.
Also maybe try training bi's and tri's together. I just trained bi's and tri's together a few weeks ago. Man if nothing else it gives your arms a "back to front" pump that had my arms feeling like they were gonna' explode! Hey,it's something different,right? Good luck,man!

Last edited:
V

vin1080

Oct 22, 2011
Reading my post I don't think I emphasized enough how important one thing is here. You can do all the curls in the world, if you don't give your arms the weight/mass they need to be bigger your actually going to just make the muscle smaller and more defined by hammering the shit out of it. You gotta' feed it!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I think the rule of thumb is about 15 pounds of added bodyweight per inch.

R

rocco

Oct 26, 2011
What made my arms get extremely thick is hammer curls and more hammer curls.I do about 15 sets of hammers once a week and it made a huge difference in my arms.

V

vin1080

Oct 22, 2011
I think the rule of thumb is about 15 pounds of added bodyweight per inch.

ok,there you go. Thank you,IronInsanity. I thought it was more like 20 or 30lbs but I can see 15lbs being accurate.

V

vin1080

Oct 22, 2011
What made my arms get extremely thick is hammer curls and more hammer curls.I do about 15 sets of hammers once a week and it made a huge difference in my arms.

Yeah definately,I brought out my brach a lot with heavy seated hammers. I also do reverse grip curls with the straight bar. For some reason the cambered bar doesnt work for me as well. But the small straight bars work for me. I place my hands shoulder width apart.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic