Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bent over row vs reverse grip bent over row

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
Reverse grip is for women, do it the right way.

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Personally i prefer the underhand (reverse) grip. I feel like my forearms are working WAY too much with the overhand grip. Also I have noticed that although I can go very heavy on these (i have done 140kg/308lbs for 6 times with good form) weight only puts strain on your lower back. This is one of the exercises that you need to squeeze your back on the end of the movement and feel every muscle fiber work.

acon83

acon83

TID VIP Lady Member
Jul 6, 2011
I prefer reverse grip, but should probably do both to hit everything....

rocco-x

rocco-x

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2010
i like reg grip but will do a burnout set once in a while of reverse grips at the end.ever try Pendlay rows/almost between a deadlift and a bent over row.builds power pretty fast.i use it in my 5 x 5 routine.gotta have a good lower back tho which i really need to build up.thinking of doing some WSBB moves like good-mornings a few times a week.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
have you tried doing them with the EZ curl bar?

Then it wouldn't be a reverse grip, but a neutral grip. It's not worth it to me, I grin and bear through the wrist pain on bicep days so I'm not trying to give myself anymore pain any other day when I don't have to, nah mean?

I prefer the standard barbell row, the reverse version puts your biceps in a position to move a huge amount of weight that can result in a tear(remember dorian),don't get me wrong, no exercise is ever fool-proof. i do the reverse grip on occasion, but with a lighter weight and after complete warm up, it is essential not to cheat or heave the weight, your biceps are in a vulnerable position and the weakest link.be careful.

Excellent point. Couldn't agree more.

Also, how are we doing these rows? Are we doing them from the floor with our backs parallel or with our backs bent at a 45 degree angle looking all quasi-moto like?

biggerben692000

biggerben692000

MuscleHead
Feb 3, 2012
When I first started doing bent over rows back in the early 90's I was intent on the underhand grip because I saw Dorian in the mags. Once I tried an overhand grip I was sold. I feel it so much more. I'm able to jut my chest out more and get a better contraction when I pull that bar into my lower abs. I vary the width on my grip but I really enjoy a grip with my hands pretty close together. I feel it all through my lats and higher.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I haven't done reverse in some time but I used to do both. I'd perform one for 8 weeks and later on when I came back to rows I'd switch to the other version. They hit different areas of the back. And like what's been said it's easy to strain the bicep when performing them with an supinated grip. I prefer to do them with a pronated grip b/c I can move more weight and I feel it has greater carry over to my big lifts.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic