Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bent over row vs reverse grip bent over row

BlueDevil

BlueDevil

MuscleHead
Jul 9, 2011
Who likes which one better and why? Anyone use both?

I've always done the regular grip but I'm thinking about switching it up. Maybe even doing 3 sets reverse grip and 3 sets regular.

I know the answer is do what feels best for you but i want to hear some other opinions from you knuckleheads so fire away.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Reverse grip puts more strain on the lats and will involve the lower lat. I do one type for 6 workouts then switch. Overhand grip also involves rhomboids et al.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I always do regular grip. I've only done the reverse a few times. They just feel odd for some reason.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i like reverse grip better as generally i can pull more weight that way. i think that they should both be used because they work things a little differently. the biggest thing i see is people using too much weight and using momemtum instead of muscle to move the weight and that isnt doing anything but setting you up for injury!

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
regular grip. I have bad wrists that don't quite turn around enough.

BlueDevil

BlueDevil

MuscleHead
Jul 9, 2011
i like reverse grip better as generally i can pull more weight that way. i think that they should both be used because they work things a little differently. the biggest thing i see is people using too much weight and using momemtum instead of muscle to move the weight and that isnt doing anything but setting you up for injury!

I think this is the number one issue with just about any exercise in the gym. Even if it doesn't lead to injury it yields no results. Ego training and I see it everyday.

regular grip. I have bad wrists that don't quite turn around enough.

Tried some reverse grip today and I'm with you. Bad wrists didn't like it but I just dealt with it. Missing two of the 8 bones in my right wrist doesn't help things.

have you tried doing them with the EZ curl bar?

good call. next back day I'll try that.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
Reverse grip puts more strain on the lats and will involve the lower lat. I do one type for 6 workouts then switch. Overhand grip also involves rhomboids et al.

what he said... i like the stretch i get when doing the reverse grip. they both have a place in my workouts.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Reverse is my favorite move, the body feel while I'm pulling the weight, bi's lats, whole body just feels great right down to the floor.

Often mix in overhand, at the end though, always- not sure why ;)

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
I prefer the standard barbell row, the reverse version puts your biceps in a position to move a huge amount of weight that can result in a tear(remember dorian),don't get me wrong, no exercise is ever fool-proof. i do the reverse grip on occasion, but with a lighter weight and after complete warm up, it is essential not to cheat or heave the weight, your biceps are in a vulnerable position and the weakest link.be careful.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic