Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
AKC83
What's New?

Benign Atrial Fibrilation... need help with increasing Endurance and cardiac output....

goof321

goof321

Nov 18, 2011
Long story short i was diagnosed with benign ateial fibrilation. Its a random occurance, like 1 out of 365 days it happens to where i go from a resting HR of 60-70bpm to 170-220 in an instant with the heart rate being all irratic and inconsistent. Because of the two past episodes my training and cardiac endurance has suffered tremendously.
i was just cleared today to start back up training. Now my only issue is i have a taget heart rate of 150 bpm (docs orders) but being on a treadmi for 2 min im gasping for air due to the stress of the thought of going into a-fib while training (anxiety) and the lack of physical exhertion over the past 6 months.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to helping me increase my cardiac endurance quickly but safely? Should i just start walking on an incline 3.5-4.0mph till i reach my target heart rate and maintaining that rate for say 20-30 min per day and slowly increase or does anyone have any other suggestions not involving a treadmill, eliptical or stationary bike.
If you need me to elaborate more please feel free to ask. Figured a general idea of my problem could get these suggestions going

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I have something similar but it was called hyper ventricular tachycardia. Resting HR of 60 then up to 200+ bpm with no warning or indication. My doc said that there is an oblation procedure to fix it, but doesn't feel like the severity warrants the risk of heart surgery. Gave me a couple excer uses to combat the HVT when it occurs, but no cure. I notice mine happens more frequently during times of increased stress in life.

goof321

goof321

Nov 18, 2011
I have something similar but it was called hyper ventricular tachycardia. Resting HR of 60 then up to 200+ bpm with no warning or indication. My doc said that there is an oblation procedure to fix it, but doesn't feel like the severity warrants the risk of heart surgery. Gave me a couple excer uses to combat the HVT when it occurs, but no cure. I notice mine happens more frequently during times of increased stress in life.

I have had the "attempted" ablation procedure. When they put me under a controlled a-fib, they could not determine the skewed pathway that was causing the heart to go out of whack.
So after test after test after test after test, as of yesterday, it was declared that all 9 of my cardio conversions (where they used adenasine) to convert me back into a normal rhythm have been benign occurences.

Would like to ask you what excersizes were you instructed to do, maybe they can help me a bit with my quest to run a 5K in June (I know its not a huge deal for most, but with my condition Ive never attempted one, besides I need to start somewhere)

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
1) is to hold pressure with a valsalva maneuver. Basically hold your breath and bear down like you are taking a shit.
2) simulated drowning lol, this sounds worse than it is. I take a bottle if cold water or glass of cold water and drink it fast enough that I'm struggling to keep up.
The water has always worked better for me. I can shorten an episode to 1 minute when it sometimes lasts 5+ minutes.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic