Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Benefits of Glutamine.... does it really work?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm not sure glutamine is bunk, but I think it was WAY overhyped about 10 years ago as some miracle supplement that did everything. I know many who swear that it helps with recovery. I take it with BCAAs when I'm cutting. IMO, BCAAs are the biggie when it comes to OTC stuff.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Damn... Thanks admin, I knew I forgot something....lol... Seriously, I have found that glutamine does help, at least for the stress end of issues associated with training and repair. Through the years of research on my end, and my own usage, the best glutamine to use is Peptide Bonded Glutatmine. I believe the only company that makes it that I am aware of is German American Tech. And you mix it with your protein shakes, but I can't explain the difference in terms, but i just felt much better than the regular L-glutamine white powder.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i think it is like any supp, some feel it works and some dont. one can find opposing articles on anything, look at creatine, some swear by it and others dont. when it comes to articles and research, unless there is statistical significance, it is all trends or populations, not concrete evidence that supports anything.

the way i look at it, it is cheap, if it helps great, if not, it isnt going to hurt you :D

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Well if it works for you, it works. I'm not saying to stop. But I do generally question its effectiveness especially in well trained individuals. Let me bounce this idea off you guys as well. Glutamine can be converted to glutamate or GABA, Glutamate can be converted to glutamine or GABA, basically they all can convert depending on the needs of your body. Chicken breast can contain up to a gram of glutamic acid per an ounce, lean pork can contain 1.2 grams of glutamic acid per an ounce, some lean cuts of beef up to 1.5 grams of glutamic acid per an ounce. Even bacon contains close to 1.5 grams of glutamic acid per an ounce.

There has to be some cut off point where glutamine supplementation isn't effective in the diet of a well trained athlete.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
My take on glutamine supplementation is this. if you are drinking a quality protein powder post workout you are already going to be getting around 5G of glutamine. I dont think you are going to be able to use any more than that. so i dont bother buying it.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
There has to be some cut off point where glutamine supplementation isn't effective in the diet of a well trained athlete.

this is true with most supplements of AA origin i would think. if ones diet is adequate then it should be be supplying the basic needs. but many people arent consuming enough quality protein with just their basic diet.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic