Latest Member
lk has no balls

Bench Press Tips

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
Re: Bench Tips

as jute stated why would you bench and squat the same day that don't make any sense

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010

Well I was sharing my experience. Do any of you really know what the 5x5 is all about? It is not 5 working set. You have one working set, lower volume, train more often...

Here is a link to my log when I did a BS 5x5...I progressed well with it, although I was just getting back into training after several years away, so there might of been some muscle memory helping me...

Last edited:
J

jute

Dec 22, 2010

I know what it is.. but I stil dont see how you can get stronger lifting like that.. I bench once a week..I missed this past week, but the week prior I hit 550lbs. 3 weeks prior to that was 518 for 2.

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010

I know what it is.. but I stil dont see how you can get stronger lifting like that.. I bench once a week..I missed this past week, but the week prior I hit 550lbs. 3 weeks prior to that was 518 for 2.

Well if you check out my log I added 70lb over 10week to my bench following the 5x5. I made good progress with all weight, however I was just getting back strenght that I had already earned once..IDK....Like I said worked well for me, maybe now that I'm stronger it might not...I think it going to depend on the person...

O

oldman

Nov 16, 2010

Aware....I agree with you on the 5x5 program being effective.....
With the weekly progressive overload and the fact that you start the program out at submax weight and rework yourself up it keeps you from overtrianing and certainly can ad to your major lifts.
here is a link to a great 5x5 calculator.....5x5 Calculator
plug in your numbers and look at the progression.
I've run this program a number of times and it does work.

shibs

shibs

Jan 18, 2011

It sounds like he hit a plateau. why don't you try some static holds? These always help me get over a plateau. and why no fly motions? :S

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010

Aware....I agree with you on the 5x5 program being effective.....
With the weekly progressive overload and the fact that you start the program out at submax weight and rework yourself up it keeps you from overtrianing and certainly can ad to your major lifts.
here is a link to a great 5x5 calculator.....5x5 Calculator
plug in your numbers and look at the progression.
I've run this program a number of times and it does work.

5x5 always worked for me in the past for strength gains.

Getraw

Getraw

VIP Member
Feb 6, 2011

Im not sure about the gym you lift at, but if they allow chains these help alot. They help you with the exploding through the set. Use them for 2 weeks then take them off and lift your chest routine. You will be amazed at how much extra push you have on the up side.

Now if your gym doesnt allow chains, which most dont. You can add a shortly cut 2x4 and lay it on your chest and use that for a few weeks. you can go heavier weight cause you dont go all the way down. his will help you get use to handling the heavier weight. Also do alot of negatives. You need a partner for negatives but load the bench heavier than usual and let it down as slow as possible. Have you partner help you get the weight back up. Again all this does is get your body use to handing heavier weight. Alot of time it really is just mind over matter.

Much respect,
GR

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic