Baghdad's Siagon Moment

C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014
Helicopters on the Roof

by Mark Steyn

June 11, 2014

http://www.steynonline.com/6414/helicopters-on-the-roof

In May 2011, in the wake of Osama bin Laden's death, CNN's Fareed Zakaria wrote a column headlined "Al Qaeda Is Over":

The truth is this is a huge, devastating blow to al Qaeda, which had already been crippled by the Arab Spring. It is not an exaggeration to say that this is the end of al Qaeda in any meaningful sense of the word.

Al Qaeda is not an organization that commands massive resources. It doesn't have a big army. It doesn't have vast reservoirs of funds that it can direct easily across the world.

Zakaria is famously a confidant of Obama's, but there are limits to the horse manure even devoted courtiers swallow. Three years on, just one malign al-Qaeda progeny, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, now commands more territory than ever - from Aleppo in western Syria to the gates of Baghdad. It has all the tanks and weaponry abandoned by the Iraqi "army" we trained. It has control of the northern oil fields, the cash reserves of the second largest city in Iraq, and is now "the world's richest terrorist group".

Meanwhile, the White House has apparently canceled its cable subscription and daily newspaper. On Tuesday, as half-a-million Iraqis were fleeing Mosul, Administration flacks were talking up Hillary's Greatest Hits:

Earnest was asked by a reporter at the daily press conference to describe Clinton's accomplishments while she was Secretary of State.

"Ending the war in Iraq and winding down in a responsible fashion the war in Afghanistan, and doing that after the success of our our efforts to dismantle and destroyed Al-Qaida core that had established a base of operations in the mountains of Afghanistan and Pakistan," Earnest answered.

Obama and Clinton ended the war in Iraq by losing it. They "pivoted" from Iraq to Afghanistan, and wound up losing both. Hillary crowed over Gaddafi's corpse - "We came, we saw, he died" - and then sat by as her ambassador and best friend "Chris" was devoured by the mob: He died, she sat by, we're gone. The Arab Spring that Zakaria claims "crippled" al-Qaeda delivered Egypt to the Muslim Brotherhood and a military coup, Tunisia to soft Islamists, Libya to ever harder Islamists, and much of Syria and Iraq to jihadists too hardcore for "mainstream" al-Qaeda.
Events are moving fast on the ground. As I said on Fox News on Tuesday night:

In Iraq, the al Qaeda flag flies in Fallujah on buildings American troops built. And as we have just heard, al Qaeda has taken hold of Mosul, the second-largest city in Iraq, earlier today.

On Wednesday, they took Saddam's hometown of Tikrit, where in the spring of 2003 I strolled with gay abandon. Where next?

Iraq Militants, Pushing South, Aim at Capital

And so the US Embassy in Baghdad readies for its Saigon moment - for the helicopters on the roof, and the executions of the "friends" they left behind.

The Obama dominoes tumble: Benghazi, Mosul, and soon Kabul. But it doesn't matter because, as the Administration has assured us and as far too many Americans seem willing to believe, wars end when the ADHD superpower decides to take its ball and go home. As I wrote on Wednesday:

Only a fundamentally unserious people would think the answer to the Obama Presidency is to follow it with the Rodham Presidency.

And yet 67 per cent of Americans regard Hillary as "a strong leader" - presumably for her success in "ending the war in Iraq" and "destroying al-Qaeda". Who needs Pravda when a free people are happy to live at this level of delusion?

Out there in the rest of the planet, the soundbites - "bin Laden is dead and General Motors is alive" - are a tougher sell. Here's what I wrote over seven years ago:

If you happen to live in Ramadi or Basra, Iraq is about Iraq; if you live in Tehran, or Cairo, or Beijing, Moscow, Pyongyang or Brussels, Iraq is about America. American will. American purpose. American credibility.

To the people who cheered when those towers tumbled 13 years ago, there is no Bush, no Obama, no Clinton. There is only America. And when the black flag of al Qaeda is raised in Baghdad it will be seen, correctly, as an American defeat. We have told the world something about ourselves, and the world will conduct its affairs accordingly.

As to the suggestion that it doesn't matter because we should "come home" to a domestic Green Zone, ask those seven-year-old moppets pouring across the southern border how impressed they are by "Fortress America".

Big_paul

Big_paul

MuscleHead
May 14, 2014
This has a more complex storyline than Vietnam. Vietnam is one country now. Iraq will never be. The sunni, shiite and kurds are going to carve it up and there isn't much that can change that.
The only thing we need to be concerned about is if any of those lunatic bastards get their hands on nukes like Pakistan and North Korea. Fasten your seat belts, this world is headed for nuclear war. My guess is within the next 20 years.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Mark Steyn is one of my favorite writers. He's able to write with that British smart-alik prose without sounding pissy. He has more passion for liberty and free speech than most Americans, sadly.

Iraq is a disaster. Al-Maliki should have brought in the Sunnis and supported reconciliation, but he did exactly the opposite. Now, if he's not careful, his head will be on a pike.

Dtownry

Dtownry

Jun 13, 2014
Uggghhhhhh.

Cleared that city once, well twice actually if you count the surge and Sadr City. I'm not going back. I don't care. Let the pundits talk.

Nukes or water shortage, we are going down one way or the other and soon. Live good and live hard while you can brothers.

Big_paul

Big_paul

MuscleHead
May 14, 2014
Uggghhhhhh.

Cleared that city once, well twice actually if you count the surge and Sadr City. I'm not going back. I don't care. Let the pundits talk.

Nukes or water shortage, we are going down one way or the other and soon. Live good and live hard while you can brothers.

Brother I'm with you on that. Not to belittle any sacrifice you or anyone else has made. You did the job given to you and you did it better than any other country has ever done. The problem my friend is politics. Unfortunately things have went too far already and there is very little support for what needs to be done, and that is to come down on every ****ing country that has nuclear weapons, with the exception of those who can already lob nukes on the homeland.
We are playing p***y with the N Koreans when what we need do to smoke the m*****S before they can do it to us, which will not be too long. So they torch the south, would it be better to wait until they can smoke the west coast of the US?
This country had better wake up and take a history lesson.
Every administration this country has had has f***ed up, dems and republicans alike. P**s on all of them.

By the way, I'm running for President in 2016, can I count on your vote?

Last edited:
JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
The vacuum created by weakening our military and retreating has been filled by radical islamists and other fanatics. And American Exceptionalism has been replaced by political correctness. We're SO ****ed now...

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I wonder whether a policy of allowing the sunnis and shiites to slaughter one another to their heart's content would work. We simply announce that the Middle East doesn't matter to us, we're going to drill, drill, drill and develop our own energy to meet our own energy needs, and that we promise to annihilate anyone that performs an act of terrorism against Israel or any of our European allies.

Then when something happens, we simply bomb the shit out of that area until no stone is left standing on another, and we then go along our way. The arabs know only one thing, and that is power and the will to weild it ruthlessly. Saddam Hussien knew what he was dealing with. We kill every living thing within "x" miles of the origination of the terror act, and we promise to do it again X2 upon the next action. Those a-holes would quickly learn that they'll get more bang for their buck killing one another.

The entire Islamic world is one big nihilistic death cult. If they love death so much, we should just give it to them.....

C

CBS

Jan 7, 2014
I wonder whether a policy of allowing the sunnis and shiites to slaughter one another to their heart's content would work. We simply announce that the Middle East doesn't matter to us, we're going to drill, drill, drill and develop our own energy to meet our own energy needs, and that we promise to annihilate anyone that performs an act of terrorism against Israel or any of our European allies.

Then when something happens, we simply bomb the shit out of that area until no stone is left standing on another, and we then go along our way. The arabs know only one thing, and that is power and the will to weild it ruthlessly. Saddam Hussien knew what he was dealing with. We kill every living thing within "x" miles of the origination of the terror act, and we promise to do it again X2 upon the next action. Those a-holes would quickly learn that they'll get more bang for their buck killing one another.

The entire Islamic world is one big nihilistic death cult. If they love death so much, we should just give it to them.....

I think that is going to happen regardless of what the West does to try and prevent it. The hatred between the Shia and Sunnis has been burning for 1400 years. The post-Christian West no longer understand the importance of religion in the lives of those who still practice their faith with such fanatical devotion - particularly a violent, warrior faith that forces its adherent's thinking to remain trapped in the 7th century - so rather than address what they don't understand, they ignore it. IMO, it wasn't only Western arrogance, but Western ignorance that led us to believe that we could convince these two sects to leave 1400 years of religious hatred behind and exist in peace and harmony.

Iraq was always an artificial construct anyway, set up by the British after the fall of the Ottoman Empire. It only held because it was ruled by authoritarians like Hussein who understood not only the mindset of its citizens, but what was needed to control them. Without Hussein's ruthlessness, the current situation was inevitable. The Sunnis want to establish a new Caliphate. They're well on their way.

Last edited:
ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I'm with tommyG let them take each other out - stop saving them - keep intel and strike when we need

Big_paul

Big_paul

MuscleHead
May 14, 2014

That's what is going to happen anyway brother, with or without us. The thing is is that when it's over we go home, and those assholes are still there and will do what they will do.
Not one more American life for that country.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic