Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Backwards Legs

O

Ozkon

Aug 3, 2011
Recently, I had a consultation with a personal trainer who had been noticing my squat form and wanted to adjust it before I got injured.. I normally box squat 225 lbs. and I also do ordinary squats at 185 lbs.

In my session with him, we adjusted my form, because the way I was squatting was forcing most of the weight to be managed by my glutes and hamstrings, taking much of the attention off of my quads. When using a proper form, I could barely complete four sets of 12 reps with just the bar, alone! Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed in myself, but I'm really trying to fix this, so I'm willing to put the ego aside and perfect my form.

People say that there is supposed to be a 2:1 ratio (roughly) for quad strength to hamstring strength. Essentially, my hamstrings are twice as strong as my quads - they're completely overdeveloped. I can easily handle twice as much weight on the leg curl machine as I can on the leg extension machine.

So, now that I've gotten all of that off my chest. Does anyone have any routines/suggestions (hopefully something involving supersets or negatives or partials or .. well, whatever works) that will absolutely shock my quads? I'm trying really hard to get them burning so they can catch up to my hamstrings.

Thanks!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
interesting thoughts on squats. i personally feel that squats are and should be a whole leg workout, hams, glutes and quads. i have been doing more of a wide stance because i feel it hits the gluts hams better and i want a well rounded looking thigh :D

that being said, form has to be #1 with squats to prevent injury. so regardless of the reason for changing, it is a good thing. i have been working on my squat form for months and still dont have it down. i keep my weight low and work on reps so that good form is natural. i was watching some youngsters squat yesterday and holy moly, bend forward, stick the ass out, go partial reps. they thought they were awesome. only one of them had half way decent form. on squats, pride needs to be shelved. who cares how much you can squat if you look retarded doing it or if you hurt yourself! i bet i lifted just the bar for a month working on my form. it has been a slow process but one that i am glad that i have been working on.

stick to the bar and light weights until your form is great. when i first started working on my form one of my powerlifting friends sent me an article by a guy who was an NFL football player i think. he wrote about how he could squat a million pounds (i dont remember the amount but it was a lot) and one day someone told him that his form sucked. so he decided to change that. a huge guy and he said that he could even squat the bar with proper form. he worked for a long time and kept the weight low and moved up slowly as he reconditioned his muscle memory and such so that his form was correct. he had never reached his old max but his form and his results were outstanding.

O

Ozkon

Aug 3, 2011
Glad to know I'm not alone on that one! Thanks for the reply!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
See my post on front squats. Those and hack squats will bring up the quads pretty quick. What a strange thing though. I usually hear and notice quad dominance in back squats causing a problem. Good luck!

GarnetandGold

GarnetandGold

Aug 15, 2011
interesting thoughts on squats. i personally feel that squats are and should be a whole leg workout, hams, glutes and quads. i have been doing more of a wide stance because i feel it hits the gluts hams better and i want a well rounded looking thigh :D

that being said, form has to be #1 with squats to prevent injury. so regardless of the reason for changing, it is a good thing. i have been working on my squat form for months and still dont have it down. i keep my weight low and work on reps so that good form is natural. i was watching some youngsters squat yesterday and holy moly, bend forward, stick the ass out, go partial reps. they thought they were awesome. only one of them had half way decent form. on squats, pride needs to be shelved. who cares how much you can squat if you look retarded doing it or if you hurt yourself! i bet i lifted just the bar for a month working on my form. it has been a slow process but one that i am glad that i have been working on.

stick to the bar and light weights until your form is great. when i first started working on my form one of my powerlifting friends sent me an article by a guy who was an NFL football player i think. he wrote about how he could squat a million pounds (i dont remember the amount but it was a lot) and one day someone told him that his form sucked. so he decided to change that. a huge guy and he said that he could even squat the bar with proper form. he worked for a long time and kept the weight low and moved up slowly as he reconditioned his muscle memory and such so that his form was correct. he had never reached his old max but his form and his results were outstanding.

If you want Wheels and a nice Ass.....Ya Gotta Squat if you don't Ya Don't Know Squat.....lol You will know if you go low enough

because ur butt cheeks should clap, if they don't clap go deeper..... HAHAHA......Seriously, squats target the whole quads and glutes. Walking BB lunges are great for rock hard glutes. Also the step mill is the best cardio for women, b/c It targets womens problems areas, legs and ass.....What I do.....for example if BB #1 has great leg development, I might youtube his/her workout and see what he/she does differently. You gotta love youtube. I also try to learn from the best Charles Glass, Charles Poliquin and Hany Rambod, I youtube those trainers/contest prep people as well. Hope this helps ;)

O

Ozkon

Aug 3, 2011
I'll definitely check some videos out.. That's a good idea..

Not too keen on getting my booty to clap though.. Ha...................

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic