Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Aragon Top 20 Overrated Supps

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
its events like the Arnold or the Mr O where supps companies hand out samples of their products for people to try out...that's how people get drawn in. Good post.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
In my opinion, everything BUT supplemental protein and roids is a waste.

Food, whey, and AAS is all you need. Oh, and coffee. ;)

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Seriously guys? WTF?! Who fucking cares if it's broscience or quadruple-blind-peer-reviewed-placebo-controlled-journal-published, if you like the shit, take it. If you don't, DON'T. It's as simple as that. Sick of this "broscience vs. studies" bullshit.

By the way, placebo effect still has the word "effect" in it. I personally believe that if your brain thinks it's working, and your body feels like it's working, then it's working.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
This Alan guy is arguably the foremost expert on nutrition and supplementation as it relates to bodybuilding. Not as valid as broscience though.

The guy has a good record and credentials imo, I give him more respect for not being pimped out by a nutrition company more than anything else.

Biography ► Alan Aragon has over 18 years of success in the fitness field. He earned his Bachelor and Master of Science in Nutrition with top honors. Alan is a continuing education provider for the Commission on Dietetic Registration, National Academy of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, and National Strength & Conditioning Association. Alan recently lectured to clinicians at the FDA and the annual conference of the Los Angeles Dietetic Association. He maintains a private practice designing programs for recreational, Olympic, and professional athletes, including the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Kings, and Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Alan is a contributing editor to Men's Health magazine.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Seriously guys? WTF?! Who fucking cares if it's broscience or quadruple-blind-peer-reviewed-placebo-controlled-journal-published, if you like the shit, take it. If you don't, DON'T. It's as simple as that. Sick of this "broscience vs. studies" bullshit.

By the way, placebo effect still has the word "effect" in it. I personally believe that if your brain thinks it's working, and your body feels like it's working, then it's working.

That's not even the case here, someone was claiming something was said which was not said. Based on your thoughts though a substance causes a reaction so long as a person wills it to be so. Reality is it wasn't the substance it was the person in such cases, this is in fact why the placebo effect even has a name. If we didn't have placebos research would be alot further behind. You know by definition a placebo is an inactive substance or procedure, the idea that an inactive substance can't be defined as overrated to me is silly. To top that off it's still a moot point here as nothing has shown any of these had such an effect nor was the author saying they had no value.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
That's not even the case here, someone was claiming something was said which was not said. Based on your thoughts though a substance causes a reaction so long as a person wills it to be so. Reality is it wasn't the substance it was the person in such cases, this is in fact why the placebo effect even has a name. If we didn't have placebos research would be alot further behind. You know by definition a placebo is an inactive substance or procedure, the idea that an inactive substance can't be defined as overrated to me is silly. To top that off it's still a moot point here as nothing has shown any of these had such an effect nor was the author saying they had no value.

What wasn't the case NutNut? That people haven't been drawing a line in the sand and you have to be on one side or the other of the broscience vs. studies debate? My point is that you should use both to see what works for you, and just because something works for you doesn't mean the same for the next guy and vice versa. It's not a new idea and it seems that it gets lost when people start with the broscience-is-bullshit and studies-are-meaningless argument.

I am not ignorant of the definition of placebo and the purpose for them in studies. Again, you are missing my point. I was not arguing that a placebo effect is or is not overrated. Read my post again. If you think its working and you feel like its working, then who's to say you shouldn't take it? The mind is a powerful thing (although it seems that people are neglecting to use it recently.)

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
When i said "that's not even the case here" I was speaking about it being broscience vs science. The poster didn't bother to fully read the article and was arguing a point that was not made. I only explained the value of research due to him bringing it up but the basis of him mentioning it was his own lack of effort in reading the article. It's less about broscience vs science and more about reading comprehension.

I don't disagree with you when you say use both science and experience, I've said that over and over, hell I don't disagree when you say use what you want, it's the means to the end I was just making clear. Sometimes it's not that the actual component of a supplement that seems to matter but the ritual it's self. In that case we can call anything valid. I think people need to back up and re-read the article then take it for what it really says and is. It's AA's opinion based on some scientific lit and his experience with clients.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Gotcha. I should've made it more clear that my post was less about this thread and more about the growing divide between the two schools of thought.

^^^^^ The part about the ritual itself is very true.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic