Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Aragon Top 20 Overrated Supps

Project

Project

Jun 22, 2011
don't care what the research "says". anectdotally, i know weight gainers, arginine, and trib work

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Placebo is effective too.

Project

Project

Jun 22, 2011
and to say that weight gainers don't work is essentially tantamount to saying that food doesn't work

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
and to say that weight gainers don't work is essentially tantamount to saying that food doesn't work
The title is overrated not "doesn't work." This isn't my list, but I have a lot of respect for the guy whose list it is. That's not to say that I agree with everything in it. If it was my list, I'd just say this: ALL SUPPLEMENTS ARE OVERRATED!

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
project you may wish to read more than just each supplements name:

(quote]weight gainer

The Claim: Weight gainers are typically marketed towards people who are desperate to put on muscle.

The Facts: These products typically consist either a simple carbohydrate, or a complex (yet empty-calorie) carbohydrate such as maltodextrin, with protein, fat, and micronutrients rounding out the minority of the contents. People are deceived into thinking their gains in scale weight are quality pounds, but often it’s just a matter of packing on a bunch of fat along with muscle. The solution is understanding how much muscle can realistically be gained: about two to three pounds per month for beginners, one to two pounds a month in intermediate trainees, and about half a pound to a pound a month in advanced trainees.
[/quote]

Which part of this were you debating?

L-Arginine

The Claim: Arginine is a conditionally essential amino acid touted for its ability to increase nitric oxide (NO) production, which in turn is hyped to promote training performance, muscle growth and recovery through vasodilation, better pumps, and enhanced nutrient delivery.

The Facts: In a recent scientific literature review, 3 out of 5 short-term studies, and 4 out of 8 longer-term studies showed significant performance improvements from arginine supplementation [24]. That’s a pretty mediocre track record, especially considering that two other recent studies showed a lack of significant effect [25,26]

Again same question

The Claim: Tribulus terrestris is a plant native to warm temperate and tropical regions of Africa, Southern Europe and Asia, and Northern Australia. But more importantly, this herb has been hyped to raise testosterone, and thus aid in size & strength gains. Think steroids, without the shrunken goods. The Facts: Tribulus terrestris has consistently failed to show an increase in testosterone production [34-36]. And in tests of its impact on body composition (less fat) and training performance (more strength), it has also failed repeatedly [37,38].

it's actually hard to even argue the last 1 as the research measured testosterone levels. Then again what are these tests, they are tests on a large group of people which use valid methods of measuring possible variables for change where as what you rely on project is 1 person rather than a group with no direct measure of said variables. The best thing to do is weed through the junk studies and find the good ones (Alan does this well and I respect him a great deal) and then when needed (such as with non human studies) test the conclusions yourself, and if possible do it on a larger scale like with clients.

Sometimes the community is ahead of the science but only when the researchers have not done the proper studies, in other cases people choose to live in a dream world.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
I am 100% with Project on this one. This Alan guy is just looking for something to complain about. Yes, all supplements are overrated if you think they're gonna work miracles.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
I am 100% with Project on this one. This Alan guy is just looking for something to complain about. Yes, all supplements are overrated if you think they're gonna work miracles.

Ditto, and don't supps work differently in different people? Not everyone will get the same result from a particular supp...that's a major variable.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
This Alan guy is arguably the foremost expert on nutrition and supplementation as it relates to bodybuilding. Not as valid as broscience though.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
project you may wish to read more than just each supplements name
^^^ This
Sometimes the community is ahead of the science but only when the researchers have not done the proper studies, in other cases people choose to live in a dream world.
^^^ And this.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic