Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Anyone Deal With Permanent Hand Numbness?

FranchizeBBer

FranchizeBBer

Sep 10, 2010
For about 3 years now my hands have had a permanent numbness. Also knocking shit over etc. I got nerve scans done. Basically the docs said it can come from 3 places. Neck impingement, carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve.

It showed as mild nerve irritation and not damage (supposively). The wrist injections did nothing so the doc said surgery would most likely not work.

My training style has always been excessively brutal. High volume and high intensity together.

Interested to see if any other lifters have dealt with this for years as well. I get the usual numb arms while sleeping and sometimes pain in sleep. The main issue is permanent numbness. Am wondering if eventually will lose complete feeling in hands. In the last 3 years hasnt gotten that much more numb. Maybe a little worse. More wrist and hand pain though for sure. Its become a major nuissance

Id be interested to read anyones experiences with this. Training through it and how its progressed mainly

Havent really lost grip strength. But sometimes if I grip too long the wrist doesnt feel right.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I have had nerve issues that have given me numbness in my hands. At one point it was in my right hand and I couldn't even sign my name. A different time it was in my left hand and I couldn't do anything that required a pinching movement, like opening a beer etc.

I was told that the nerve can get pinched and that you can either get surgery or wait for it to wiggle its way to a new location on its own. I chose to wait, which was fine because in both instances it only lasted for a couple months.

It was scary though. I was worried that it wouldn't go away.

Another thing: I sometimes sleep face down with my head on my forearm. I have a vein across the top of my forearm and when I sleep like this I cut off circulation and wake up with an unusable arm for about 5-10 minutes.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I would get hand numbness during heavy benching. It progressed to arm pain to finally muscle death due to the nerve getting pinched at c4. So I suppose you could wait it out, lose muscle and risk loss of the use of the arm :) I ended up getting fusion back in May. I am about 90% recovered now, arm and hand only falls asleep due to positional reasons now.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I used to get it a lot and thought it was carpal tunnel related however I think it may be more related to compartment syndrome with me in the forearms... Not sure If you've heard of this.. I guess it's not a common diagnosis though

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
For about 3 years now my hands have had a permanent numbness. Also knocking shit over etc. I got nerve scans done. Basically the docs said it can come from 3 places. Neck impingement, carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve.

It showed as mild nerve irritation and not damage (supposively). The wrist injections did nothing so the doc said surgery would most likely not work.

My training style has always been excessively brutal. High volume and high intensity together.

Interested to see if any other lifters have dealt with this for years as well. I get the usual numb arms while sleeping and sometimes pain in sleep. The main issue is permanent numbness. Am wondering if eventually will lose complete feeling in hands. In the last 3 years hasnt gotten that much more numb. Maybe a little worse. More wrist and hand pain though for sure. Its become a major nuissance

Id be interested to read anyones experiences with this. Training through it and how its progressed mainly

Havent really lost grip strength. But sometimes if I grip too long the wrist doesnt feel right.

Which fingers are affected, and what movement exaggerates it? This is usually fixable, it's just hard to get a decent doc :)

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
Have you seen a neurologist to rule out any other potential injuries..even signs of a TIA or past issues as such??

Are you positive that it is relative to your back or muscular in nature?

B

BeauBody38

Jan 8, 2015
Sorry to hear that. I'm a nurse and I've seen a lot of people having that symptoms. Majority were diagnosed of nerve problems and CVA. Go get a check as early as possible.

sup3r_man

sup3r_man

Jul 28, 2014
I have my arms go numb sometimes because of some back problems. When i can see a chiropractor monthly, it helps a ton. Not too sure what she does back there but i dont even get the sleep numbness after working arms. Might be something to look into.

B

Berazzled

Dec 22, 2014
Ulnar nerve disposition. I had surgery to move the nerve all is well after 8 week recovery.

Ironhead68

Ironhead68

Feb 11, 2015
I would definitely get a second opinion...my case was carpel tunnel syndrome which surgery in the right wrist cured...left needs it too but not so bad there...talk to a chiropractor...they are very underrated with their ability to help...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic