Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Anyone actually check weight of oil absorbed?

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
I don't eat super lean ground meat, beef, turkey etc. Just too much $ for what it is. However I'm not opposed to using a couple napkins to absorb 85% fat ground beef or turkey.

Has anyone here weighed how much fat they have absorbed while cooking doing this? I'm about to see what my 85% lean meats up being.

I should be able to weigh food first(for this sake, say the single serving which on nutrition label is 4ounce), the napkin before use , adsorb fat mid cooking, put napkin after zereod out on scale to see how much actual fat is being removed right?

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Except the napkin will also absorb water, so you will not know how much is fat and how much is water.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I'd just get a leaner percentage, but 85% definitely tastes better. I go by the rule of thumb that it cooks down by 25%. So that 4oz precook becomes 3oz after cooking. This only matters if you're going to try and get multiple meals out of a package. It's not exact, but I don't eat red meat often enough for any big errors to add up. This isn't exactly what you're asking, but I think at some point you just have to accept some margin of error. Sounds like you're trying to get the taste of 85% for the leanness (or close to it) of maybe 95%.

I'm coming off salmonella poisoning so cut me some slack. I think most of what I wrote didn't even address the question.

Last edited:
Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I'd just get a leaner percentage, but 85% definitely tastes better. I go by the rule of thumb that it cooks down by 25%. So that 4oz precook becomes 3oz after cooking. This only matters if you're going to try and get multiple meals out of a package. It's not exact, but I don't eat red meat often enough for any big errors to add up. This isn't exactly what you're asking, but I think at some point you just have to accept some margin of error. Sounds like you're trying to get the taste of 85% for the leanness (or close to it) of maybe 95%.

I'm coming off salmonella poisoning so cut me some slack. I think most of what I wrote didn't even address the question.
@beefnewton would know it's in his name! For medical reasons I don't eat sugar and carbs are very limited. For me more fat the better.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic