Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Another DOMS Thread!

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
This was a great question and has recived many great answers.... I too have often wondered if the pain level directly correlated with the growth level and over the years I see that it infact does not.

lactic acid build up in the muscles will also cause the sorenss you mention, and like you I relish the pain, as pain is only weakness leaving the body... However, I also have found that a good strecth post workout and during the onset of DOMS will help the weakness leave the body faster...

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
here's what i know. the better conditioned you are, the faster you go through soreness cycle. a conditioned athlete will feel soreness sooner and recover sooner as well. that being said, if you're getting DOMS from whatever routine set/rep, then you're either not conditioned for it or that was too much for you at the moment. then, does that shock(DOMS) create more growth? I'd say yes, just like beginner(underconditioned) experiences more rapid growth then seasoned trainee. as the trainee get more conditioned, training that caused DOMS won't cause it anymore, thus slowing progress. does that mean we seek more intense training to induce more DOMS? guess that's what OP is trying to find out...

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
all good post all good theory's

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This was a great question and has recived many great answers.... I too have often wondered if the pain level directly correlated with the growth level and over the years I see that it infact does not.

lactic acid build up in the muscles will also cause the sorenss you mention, and like you I relish the pain, as pain is only weakness leaving the body... However, I also have found that a good strecth post workout and during the onset of DOMS will help the weakness leave the body faster...

Thanks IC - stretching, foam rolling or even just working the muscle but with no weight to get the blood flowing always seems to help. I think the difference between DOMS and pain from lactic acid is that the lactic acid buildup is during the working set. Its that burn you get during the exercise.

here's what i know. the better conditioned you are, the faster you go through soreness cycle. a conditioned athlete will feel soreness sooner and recover sooner as well. that being said, if you're getting DOMS from whatever routine set/rep, then you're either not conditioned for it or that was too much for you at the moment. then, does that shock(DOMS) create more growth? I'd say yes, just like beginner(underconditioned) experiences more rapid growth then seasoned trainee. as the trainee get more conditioned, training that caused DOMS won't cause it anymore, thus slowing progress. does that mean we seek more intense training to induce more DOMS? guess that's what OP is trying to find out...

You're kinda right bro... Sometimes the day after smashing quads if I am able to get up the stairs at home without wincing a couple times I feel disappointed. But as far as conditioning goes - if you aren't pushing yourself beyond what you are conditioned for, why would the body be forced to adapt and grow? Pushing yourself past failure is the same as saying working beyond your level of conditioning IMO.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Here are the things I was looking for on how DOMS occurs. Lactic acid is no a culprit because of how quickly it is removed from the muscles.

Muscle Pain - an Update Mechanisms ... - Google Books

This is the more important document that I was looking for that directly focuses on your question

Optimal Muscle Performance and Recovery - Google Books

"They found that not only did NSAIDs not help with muscle soreness at all, they completely halted all SMFSR (that is, the muscle made no gains toward recovery)."

So

Ibuprofen or acetaminophen reduced inflammation
Pain persisted with reduced inflammation
Muscle growth/repair stopped with reduction of inflammation

So according to that book and the sources it cites, even with pain if inflammation is reduced there is no growth. There is not a constant relationship between perceived levels of pain and muscle growth.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Awesome reading Wolf!!!!!! That is great bro, can't thank you enough for that good stuff!

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
old widom ''no pain, no gain'' prevails...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic