Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Amazon Fire Stick

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I have a roku, are they hackable as well???

R

regular

MuscleHead
May 31, 2012
There's nothing illegal about streaming. It's when you download the content that's illegal.

It's very illegal but he MPAA learned that coming after end users is a non-starter so they push the boundaries of the law when going after operators. The MPAA is intensely interested in eliminating streaming services, more so than even torrents.

I don't really understand it beyond it will break up the cable monopoly.

Someone wanna explain this thing?

The fire stick one of many small computers that you plug into your TV's HDMI port. You load software that you can download from the internet onto your small computer, which enables you to stream just about anything you want that has been pirated. Think of it like a pirated free netflix with content that is still in the theater and tv shows. This should do to TV what napster and torrenting has done to the music and film industry. For example, Hulu now finally offers a commercial free version.

I shut my cable tv off two years ago because I hardly watched it and I can stream or download 99% of the few shows that I do watch.

I have a roku, are they hackable as well???

No, there was a hack but kodi hasn't been ported to it.

DaSarge

DaSarge

VIP Member
Nov 20, 2014
Good thread.
Reminds me of those hacked cable boxes from 25+ years ago...only better!!!...

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
just ordered a fire tv box too, I see the roku isn't hackable, I'll give the fire tv a shot too. I have 3 tvs, so I guess Ill pick the best choice between the two and order a third!

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
regular - if you don't have cable, what WiFi service do you have? I want to shut cable off as well but Xfinity has such great WiFi speed.

R

regular

MuscleHead
May 31, 2012

Excellent citation, however, pay close attention to the bottom two paragraphs where the author comes out of the afterglow of getting free stuff and back to reality. I'm not a lawyer but I do understand the MPAA pretty well. They are extremely effective in the courts. They also employ private security firms to conduct every from of attack imaginable against an intended target. I can only describe that opinion piece as out of touch, except the two bottom paragraphs. The MPAA are extremely active in perusing anyone that creates a streaming service, which is why the addons that stream these shows are developed in secret by parties that attempt to remain anonymous. There have been streaming app developers who did not take measures to conceal their identity who have been identified and forced by threat of legal action to eliminate their streaming app.

See: http://www.tvaddons.ag/mashup-xbmc/ & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NinjaVideo & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_Time

Regardless of the method of transmission, an end user is streaming their content. Also, 99% of what's on these apps is not live streaming content that can't be captured. Almost everything is just a file on someone's server somewhere that is being watched through a streaming service that can also download and store the file locally.

@regular - if you don't have cable, what WiFi service do you have? I want to shut cable off as well but Xfinity has such great WiFi speed.

I use normal internet service from a local provider in conjunction with a paid VPN service. I disconnected my TV service not my internet connection. You don't have to get a bundle as much as they try to convince you that you should.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
So if I got this right, (technology 101 for me)

1. Plug Fire Stick in HDMI port

2. Connect via WiFi

3. Watch tv?

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
Yes. That is correct. Fire stick needs its own power source to plug into but other than that you are ready to rock.

USMCRabi

USMCRabi

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
So if I got this right, (technology 101 for me)

1. Plug Fire Stick in HDMI port

2. Connect via WiFi

3. Watch tv?

1.) without Kodi yes. With Kodi no

2.) yes (check your speed. Need high speed or will buffer I'd say at least 25mbps)

3.) click and play

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
Yeah you can run firestick with or without running Kodi. Depends on what you want to watch.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic