Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Abdominal Hernia

C

ccjc81

Feb 2, 2011
Just got a hernia, after doing back the other day felt a marble size lump protruding above my belly button,very sore. Went home and layed down and it subsided but i can still feel it and its painful.going to doc today.should i stop lifting altogether?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
see what the doc says. i think several of guys on here have umbilical hernias and still lift. the initial tear is always painful because of the damage done to the tissue.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Ive had an umbilical for years, see what the Dr says each case is unique, depends where the tear is, above the belly button can be different.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Ive had an umbilical for years
Same here. Got it before I started lifting. I've never had any pain associated with it, but would like to get rid of it. From the limited reading I've done, if it goes down when you lie flat on your back, you're OK, but if it doesn't or it causes pain, you should be more concerned. Good luck bro.

MPMC

MPMC

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
I got one last year after training abs one day. They cramped up for a good 5 mins, hurt like hell. Next day, there it was. Dr said it wasnt anything to worry about unless it hurts or bothers me. The only time I really feel it bothers me is when I am bloated. Over time it has started to feel better and not bother me near as much. Maybe I have just gotten used to it though..

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
in general, they are not big deal. usually will get some omentum in them and as long as a section of bowel doesnt go in there they arent much to worry about. they can be fixed laprascopically but often times if the surgeon isnt used to fixing people who actually workout than they will reaccur once heavy lifting resumes.

best to check with your doctor and go from there.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I had one last year. Pushed in back in, but in kept coming back out. Wasn't painful, but doc said that it could get bad later. So I had in surgically fixed. Did the incision and inserted the mesh. Haven't had any problems since.

C

ccjc81

Feb 2, 2011
thanks peeps all this feedback is great.its nice to talk to people who really know the sport and have an indepth knowledge.thanks to the den and all its members.i love this board and will be a member for live.peace to you all

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I was born with a Ventral hernia and two inguinal hernia's. I had one inguinal about fixed about 30 years ago (week in the freakin hospital). I had the Ventral fixed about 10 years ago after doing some ab exercises and ripped a huge hole of it. I had it fixed and as soon as I healed I went back to lifting and it ripped again. I have lived with it 8+ years now. It is getting worse (it is right below my sternum). The doc said I can fix or wait until it gets really bad. No insurance = $6000 out of pocket at the minimum... I'm waiting.

~Old

Rancor418

Rancor418

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2011
I had one last year. Pushed in back in, but in kept coming back out. Wasn't painful, but doc said that it could get bad later. So I had in surgically fixed. Did the incision and inserted the mesh. Haven't had any problems since.

Same here.

I got one after getting sick and from coughing. I had it fixed with the mesh and this was about 10 years ago when I was 27. I was able to sit up after the surgery and walk to my wheel chair. I had it done on Thursday and went back to work on Monday. I was really sore and did not take any of the pain pills. I was back to training 8 weeks later once my Dr cleared me.

I know someone that who is 55 and had it done and he was out of work for 3 weeks...

If your young get the mesh because the older you get the harder it is to recover.

doug

doug

Nov 1, 2010
I've had two hernias from lifting. One umbilical and one ventral, both were fixed with surgery and mesh. No problems since the surgery and I can still lift heavy no problem. Go to a doctor and get it checked out.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
I had an umbilical fixed a few years back. Had the mesh that they use for lifters. Found a Doc that had done a bunch of them. I was doing MILD cardio the next day per the hernia center's recommendation for Olympic athletes. Three 30 minute light walks a day for a week and then started light supported lifting with cardio and slowly increased the weights. By week 8 I was full on lifting.....that is how I would recommend recovery because we are all used to working out every day. WE are not wired like the "norm" and our bodies need the blood flow to heal.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic