Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

AAS and ovarian cysts

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Ovarian cysts.... So if birth control "estrogen" prevents them or makes them smaller would taking AAS cause them or make them worse ???

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Honestly I don't think its been studied enough asked two O.B.s here at the hospital and they had no idea. I'd be more worried about HGH than some low androgenic drugs like Var or Deca

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Honestly I don't think its been studied enough asked two O.B.s here at the hospital and they had no idea. I'd be more worried about HGH than some low androgenic drugs like Var or Deca
Thanks for trying to find out :) I have a history of them and the doc has me on low dose estrogen for it so I was just curious.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
A primary factor which determines the "responsiveness" of COD to hormonal therapy is whether they are "functional cysts".

However since the MOST COMMON ORIGIN of COD (in otherwise healthy females) is the development of FUNCTIONAL CYSTS from CYCLICAL ANOVULATION, AAS are more likely to LOWER their frequency, IMO!

On a comparative basis, BCP also cause annovulation, yet thru a different mechanism, by maintaining NON-CYCLICAL ELEVATION of E-2.

IMO the use of AAS would be MORE LIKELY to have the same benefit as BCP, since the hormonal environment would be similar, NON-CYCLICAL steady state, relatively low levels of estrogen.

Moreover this benefit has BEEN OBSERVED and STUDIED in patients using Danocrine for ENDOMETRIOSIS and COD!
It's primary MOA is to prevent the release of gonadotropins (LH and FSH), yet Danazol also has "mild" androgenic" effects.

Now whats important, Danocrine HAS been shown to decrease the frequency and reversed the presence of existing COD in some females!

The bottom line, based on BCP and Danocrine trials, AAS would be expected to DECREASE the frequency of COD in females!

regs
JIM

Last edited:
dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
A primary factor which determines the "responsiveness" of COD to hormonal therapy is whether they are "functional cysts".

However since the MOST COMMON ORIGIN of COD (in otherwise healthy females) is the development of FUNCTIONAL CYSTS from CYCLICAL ANOVULATION, AAS are more likely to LOWER their frequency, IMO!

On a comparative basis, BCP also cause annovulation, yet thru a different mechanism, by maintaining NON-CYCLICAL ELEVATION of E-2.

IMO the use of AAS would be MORE LIKELY to have the same benefit as BCP, since the hormonal environment would be similar, NON-CYCLICAL steady state, relatively low levels of estrogen.

Moreover this benefit has BEEN OBSERVED and STUDIED in patients using Danocrine for ENDOMETRIOSIS and COD!
It's primary MOA is to prevent the release of gonadotropins (LH and FSH), yet Danazol also has "mild" androgenic" effects.

Now whats important, Danocrine HAS been shown to decrease the frequency and reversed the presence of existing COD in some females.
regs
JIM

Perhaps I should also mention even though BCPS are widely used in the management of FUNCTIONAL ovarian cysts, treatment with BCP has NOT been shown to exceed the benefits (resolution) of "expectant management".

Conversely patients with CHRONICALLY elevated levels of androgens is a primary risk factor for the development of PCOD (Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease)!

What does this mean? Whether AAS would increase or decrease the frequency of COD PROBABLY has more to do with the dose and duration. (On a comparative basis Danocrine is a WEAK androgen)

(I'll keep looking for more evidence however, because it's a damn good question TG)
jim

Last edited:
dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
It didn't inflame mine, and I have a horrid reaction to birth control pills, they have never worked to stop my cyst. Though surgery had any pain associated at bay for about 9 years... They're back up and kicking now the devils that they are, and it was not related to aas at all :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic