Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

495 squat single @ 204

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
This is the heaviest I have squatted in almost 20 years. Prepping for a meet and wanted to see how some weight felt. (will be in 198's)

495 was not much strain at all. My leg (and pulled hip flexor is holding tight and had no pain)

I really have no idea where I might max at now as I thought 495 was going to be heavy and it did not feel like it.

I forgot to push out my chest prior to going down, but all in all it was not bad.

I know....too many steps walking out.!

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You didn't struggle with it so congrats. You don't need to walk it back that much, you took something like 6 or 7 steps which wasted energy. Just take 3 or 4 steps to get set up and than squat.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Wow you buried that dude.

Yea just take your steps back enough so you clear the racks.

Awesome squat man.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
How are you this strong???????????????????????????????????????????????

Nice job. You pointed out two of the things you're doing wrong. One other thing though, if you're going to compete. You need to start with the knees FULLY LOCKED OUT. You will not get a squat command until that happens and you'll just be left standing there.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You didn't struggle with it so congrats. You don't need to walk it back that much, you took something like 6 or 7 steps which wasted energy. Just take 3 or 4 steps to get set up and than squat.

Thanks BI. I knew I walked out too much. I dont feel comfortable on those racks only taking 3 steps out, but I am going to practice this A LOT leading up to the meet.

Thanks for the help!

Wow you buried that dude.

Yea just take your steps back enough so you clear the racks.

Awesome squat man.

Thanks man!

How are you this strong???????????????????????????????????????????????

Nice job. You pointed out two of the things you're doing wrong. One other thing though, if you're going to compete. You need to start with the knees FULLY LOCKED OUT. You will not get a squat command until that happens and you'll just be left standing there.

It might be chocolate chip cookie dough icecream I have been eating. (also the reason I have to drop weight to make 198's :D)

Dont know man, I have always responded well to training, but in my 20's I was more worried about bodybuilding. Now coming back, I am finding great satisfaction in lifting heavy stuff.

Today I just went in there and decided to 'attack' the weight and not be afraid of it like you told me. I have been pussy footing around squatting with my hip injury, but I was confident now that I can squat narrow with no pain. So I just said fuk it! And felt 100% confidence dropping down in the hole. It was almost fun.

One thing that was humbling....was the effect that squats have on your deads. I did a simulated full meet today. Stopped at 95% on my lifts.

When the time came to dead, I ended up topping out at 585. (that is a 35lb drop from what I normally pull when I am going at it fresh). It was good to learn.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Nice lift mcgayver looks like you got a lot more in you, great idea cutting weight to be more competitive..

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Nice squat bro congrats!

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
nice brother best of luck in ur meet, you know what needs to be fixed so no point any of us rambling on about it again

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Nice lift mcgayver looks like you got a lot more in you, great idea cutting weight to be more competitive..

Nice squat bro congrats!

Very nice lift

Thanks guys!

nice brother best of luck in ur meet, you know what needs to be fixed so no point any of us rambling on about it again

Yep....it is time to 'put up or shut up'. I am nervous, but just going to do my best. I appreciate all the support on here from guys in the journey to do this. Guys like BrotherIron, POB, MiniForklift,Superman...etc. (sorry if I left anyone out).

Thanks guys!

C

caveman

Apr 17, 2013
Congrats! Great squat. I hope I'm as strong as you when I grow up!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic