Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

3 Weeks until my first PL Comp - Looking for training/prep advice

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
This comp was a bit of a last minute thing, and timing is not great as I am on vacation next week and won't be training.

So that gives me two weeks when I get back to train/prep.

Everyone says no training the week before the meet but I am already taking next week off so looking for suggestions on what to do the final two weeks pre-comp.

Train both weeks or what?

I generally train M-F in the morning before work, so I do have some time constraints (90min - 2 hours per day).

What should I be doing on what days?

My squat and dead are OK; I'm fine with maintaining them. By bench is total crap; need lots of work there.

Thanks in advance,

FLEX

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Once you get back, the week before, do singles on each lift up to around 50-65%, then stop. Make it like a d load or easy week.

You strength isn't gonna drop in two weeks. It could actually help you be fresh for the meet.

But the week before your meet do some light work with low volume to get stuff moving.

Porky will have some real good advice for you when he logs on.

Last edited:
any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
the last week before your comp...that Monday...I would warm up. Do your opening lifts then call it till the comp. Rest and depending on where you're at weight wise...eat.

Good luck with the meet. You'll do fine.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Hey Flex have you chosen your openers ?

What are the rules on wraps and a belt?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Hey Flex have you chosen your openers ?

What are the rules on wraps and a belt?

Raw Modern so belt, wrist wraps and knee wraps allowed.

For my lifts I am thinking:

495 Squat, then 525, and maybe 545

275 Bench, then 305 attempt, then maybe 315

525 Dead, then 565, and maybe 575 or 585

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
That whole " lots of work to do for your bench" thing should wait until after the meet. Nobody gets stronger in 3 weeks, at least not much. But in 3 weeks you CAN royally mess up what you do have going for you.

I'd go to 2nd attempts with judging calls before you leave for vacation.
Enjoy the week off.
2 weeks out hit your openers with commands early in the week ( all 3 on the same day ) and do your regular assistance work the rest of the week.
The week before maybe do some light assistance stuff just to flush out and no lifting the last 4-5 days before the meet. Just stretch a little, maybe light cardio if you need to do something.

The whole idea of the last few weeks is to gut check your openers and then just let you feel a little weight without doing any more work than necessary. Just flush out and focus on going in healthy.

Think about it like this: training hard it's fair to expect a 50# increase in your squat in a year for an advanced lifter. That's about a pound a week. So, if you bust ass the last two weeks you could potentially increase your squat by 2 pounds. -or- in two weeks you can beat yourself up in the gym and even without getting injured just come in to the meet fatigued and achy and only perform at 90% that day.... which, for a ~550 squatter means only getting your 495 opener and getting stapled by the next two attempts. The risk isn't worth the reward.

Good luck, stay hydrated on vacation, and lift smart.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
I'm with porky, that's why I've kept my trap mostly shut about your bench training which is what I concentrate on the hardest. I don't want to hand out any harmful advice... 3 weeks isn't enough time to make rapid gains. This kind of thing doesn't happen overnight, strength is earned by blood and tears.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Like everyone else has said, you can't build anything in that amount of time but you can run yourself into the ground and bomb out.

Your openers should be something you can hit for a triple imo so take that into consideration when deciding what your openers are going to be.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Good advice guys. Thanks.

I've been pushing the bench only because I think it's more of a form issue than strength.

Having a sub-300 bench for my size and strength in all other lifts is just silly. And embarrassing.

Even if I could somehow throw up 315, which would be a new PR, it would still be quite lame.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Good advice guys. Thanks.

I've been pushing the bench only because I think it's more of a form issue than strength.

Having a sub-300 bench for my size and strength in all other lifts is just silly. And embarrassing.

Even if I could somehow throw up 315, which would be a new PR, it would still be quite lame.

I'll have a plethora of benching information you can use when you are done with your meet. I'm not going to risk giving it to you now, I don't want you to blow a 1500 pound total by concentrating too hard on your weakest lift. 1500 is a fantastic ****ing total.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I'll have a plethora of benching information you can use when you are done with your meet. I'm not going to risk giving it to you now, I don't want you to blow a 1500 pound total by concentrating too hard on your weakest lift. 1500 is a fantastic ****ing total.

If I hit all my gym lifts (515/305/575) I should have a 1395 total.

If I pull a rabbit out of my hat I might hit 1420 or so.

1500 is a way off for me now.

Look forward to your bench tips.......

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
If I hit all my gym lifts (515/305/575) I should have a 1395 total.

If I pull a rabbit out of my hat I might hit 1420 or so.

1500 is a way off for me now.

Look forward to your bench tips.......
**** why was I thinking you had a 600 squat and deadlift. Damn... :-/ either way your first step onto the platform and your going to total right at 1400 that is un real bro... My first meet ever I was 242 and it was a deadlift only, I had a 475 pull lol. At that time I could bench 275. If I would've done a full meet I think I could squat like 330... so I'dve totaled 1080 at 242... lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic