Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Wendler 531

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
Anyone doing a wendler 531 program? I've made it through 8 weeks and I'm thinking of changing up my assistance exercises. I feel like I was doing too much. I'd like to keep to some core movements to build strength this summer. Things like pull ups, dips, chin ups, lunges, front squats, push ups, RDLs any suggestions?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Post what your list of movements and we'll see what should stay and what you should switch. We can also make suggestions. Are you performing good mornings? You should be. How about bent over rows? etc....

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I liked it and definitely plan on running it again.

I think you only need 1 assistance lift per movement. Then 1 or two accessories to follow that. This is what ive learned so far: If your goal is strength the majority of your time needs to be spend on the compound lift.

I'm still learning, but this is what ive learned so far.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Another question is which 5/3/1 are you running? BBB, Triumvirate, etc?

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Awesome program. Very simple, yet effective. Let's see what you're doing for assistance work currently, including set and rep schemes. I'm certain we can all help you out.

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
as far as assistance work i believe the last 2 months i have been doing too much. i have basically been doing my reg lifts after. My thought was with the beginning of this cycle i was going to concentrate more on the core lifts. as well as really work at developing my pull ups, i can do 27 would like to get to 50, push ups, chin ups.... so this is what i was thinking as a 4 day workout. my only issue with the below is no curls? and i want to make sure i don't lose any biceps gains that have taken me so long to get.

Reps as stated in 5/3/1 for both core and assistance work

Overhead press
close grip bench
pull ups and dips
rows

Deadlifts
front squat
step ups
chin ups, push ups

Bench
Incline press
pull ups, dips
Rows

Squat
Lunges
RDL
GHR, push ups

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
i posted what i am thinking of changing it up to. i do a lot of rows, they are my fav. actually back is my fav. usually on back day i warm up with pull ups 30, then i do my 5/3/1 deadlifts, then lat pulls, rows, usually t bar rows and dumbell rows, and back flys and cable rows

leg day is ususally squats 5/3/1, then 4 sets of 15 walking lunges, sumo squats, ham curls, glute bridge and calve raises

over head press 5/3/1, then millitary press, lat raises, front raises, delt flys, and rows

Bench 5/3/1, with decline press, chest flys, front press

then a separate day for bis and tris.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
One question, have you read any of the books? It's worth the ten bucks. Are you a PL? I would suggest the beyond 531 since you seem to be wanting more.

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
I have read both books. And since I haven't had my BPC this morning I'm not sure what PL is so I can't say if I am one. Lol

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
PL= PowerLifter. I like Wendler's program.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
i posted what i am thinking of changing it up to. i do a lot of rows, they are my fav. actually back is my fav. usually on back day i warm up with pull ups 30, then i do my 5/3/1 deadlifts, then lat pulls, rows, usually t bar rows and dumbell rows, and back flys and cable rows

leg day is ususally squats 5/3/1, then 4 sets of 15 walking lunges, sumo squats, ham curls, glute bridge and calve raises

over head press 5/3/1, then millitary press, lat raises, front raises, delt flys, and rows

Bench 5/3/1, with decline press, chest flys, front press

then a separate day for bis and tris.

To many assistance lifts. Also you don't need a separate day for arms. You're a PLer not a BBer. You know anyone with small arms who pulls 6? Me either. Your arms will grow if you're main lifts go up.

schmidt140

schmidt140

TID Lady Member
Jun 9, 2014
That's what I was thinking. Too many assistance lifts. I think the new plan is much better. We will see how the next 8 weeks go. I don't want to lose any of the mass I fought so hard to get. Lol. But that last 3% BF...that can leave anytime now!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic