Members
Latest Member
jacobss

So, you want to be a powerlifter...

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I keep seeing this and it's driving me nuts. So, please, let me help.

Being a powerlifter or training for powerlifting isn't a function of just lifting heavy, it's a change in the way you approach all training.

You CAN have a great physique and be a powerlifter. You can be healthy and be a powerlifter, and powerlifters DO train body parts like a bodybuilder does...

BUT

If you are a powerlifter then all training is aimed at improving the core lifts. You train movements, not body parts.

Training a squat involves training the movement as well as the muscles in the leg and posterior chain. Sure, I'll do leg extensions, but only if a quad imbalance is hindering my squat.
I keep seeing people post training logs that say they're for training squat, but in a 90 minute session there might only be 20 minutes of squatting.
My team has raw, single ply, and multi ply men and women on it. We were well represented at the arnold and are well known in the sport. How we train is very similar to how other top teams train. I've visited most of them. I've trained with most of the top guys. This is a universal truth not just my opinion of what I do in a garage by myself.

A squat day is 3-5 hours. On a heavy day a ( for example) 4 hour session is spent with about 3 hours of squatting and an hour tops of auxiliary work. I might do a variation of the squat to build a weakness in addition to regular straight bar squats. I might do some deadlift work as well...... but most of the time is spent with some sort of bar putting some sort of weight on my back.

Everything revolves around the main lifts. A squat and deadlift day and a day for auxiliary work to build the squat/deadlift. A bench day and a day to do auxiliary work to build the bench.
I train my back but there is no back day. I train my shoulders but there is no shoulder day. Those are both part of a bench or bench auxiliary day.

Take a step away from the 5 day, body part split we all learned from Flex Magazine. Powerlifting training is about training movements.

To be successful you need to change your mentality first.

Also, because I will recommend this to fix every single problem you will ever have - go find a team to train with. Nobody makes it to a legit national championship by training in a commercial gym by themselves.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Well said PLK.

I especially like the part, "You train movements, not body parts."

Powerlifting is a mentality and an approach to lifting as well as being a 'definition' (to an extent) of who and what you are.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Good post Porky. I get a lot of guys at another board who are curious about it. They'll see that I'm 270 and squatting what to them is big weights and they'll start asking questions about how I train or how they can bring up another lift. So I explain to them what I guess would be referred to as westside philosophy. You work percentages of your lifts you don't just go do a max effort daily. You also aren't going to train 6 days per week. And you don't have to get fat. The list of common misconceptions about powerlifting is mind boggling but if a guy is serious I spend the time to help them. I've taken a few guys over the last year thru their first meets with high 1400lb totals after training for PL for less than a year. Hell for one of em I drove to his meet in PA and coached him thru it. Totaled 1490 and hit all his goals for each lift. For free...

You forgot to mention though that 2 of the 4 hours on squat day is spent squeezing into your suit ya gear whore :D

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You forgot to mention though that 2 of the 4 hours on squat day is spent squeezing into your suit ya gear whore :D

LOL....

It almost seems popular to be a powerlifter these days. I don't do this b/c it's cool, hip, or the popular thing. I don't care if people think I'm off kilter, if they think my elevator doesn't go to the top, if I'm stupid. Yup, that's me the stupid guy who loves feeling that pressure on his spine as he unracks that weight. The stupid guy who doesn't listen to all the aches and pains. The stupid guy who shovels food in his mouth even when he's not hungry.

I'll also admit PLK is right you need to train with the right people and the right environment. I can't wait for SS and my training partners to come back so I can start pushing myself again. I'll most likely go back to where I once lifted so I can push myself and them a lot more. That'll happen around July/August and I can't wait.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
I miss training with my guys....slowly working my way back to 90% health...(we'll never be 100% IMO) it's been a long recent road but I can speak from experience that there is a huge difference between hitting some squats during lunch at work versus having a 3 hour session with my best partners out of the mono with 3 people yelling at me, sending commands etc....then walking out of there holding back a puke (POB watched me boot after some prowler runs after we squatted a while back) until I get outside.

The platform has eluded me due to my back and neck this last year, but I'm hoping October I'm able to step up on stage.

Great post PLK and thank you!

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Having a support system is huge.

The environment and atmosphere make a huge impact.

That makes total sense Porky. A lot of times I've had to and still have to remind myself I'm training for a lift, not for a body part. My goal is to move the most weight I can at one movement, and I need to remember I'm doing assisting work to assist THAT lift.

I guess sometimes its not hard to get a little lost.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
It does make a big difference training with people, I trained alone for 95% of the time but that 5% I did train with PL'ers those sessions raised the roof.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011

LOL ... that's probably accurate. 10 minutes getting in the briefs, then 10 minutes getting back out because you have to pee after one set..... etc......

also, it's great to hear that you are passing on your knowledge and helping guys come up. A 1400 total in their first meet is better than I did.
I know it can be frustrating and take a lot of energy to help new guys out, especially when so many can't hack it and drop off..... but it's all part of passing on what guys did for us.
Keep fighting the good fight.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I miss training with my guys....slowly working my way back to 90% health...(we'll never be 100% IMO) it's been a long recent road but I can speak from experience that there is a huge difference between hitting some squats during lunch at work versus having a 3 hour session with my best partners out of the mono with 3 people yelling at me, sending commands etc....then walking out of there holding back a puke (POB watched me boot after some prowler runs after we squatted a while back) until I get outside.

The platform has eluded me due to my back and neck this last year, but I'm hoping October I'm able to step up on stage.

Great post PLK and thank you!

Really looking forward to having you back in this summer. Nobody does the pre lift mental shake up like you do for me :x

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
This thread was the straw that broke my vagina's back. My lumbar region thanks you. Good on y'all!

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
This thread was the straw that broke my vagina's back. My lumbar region thanks you. Good on y'all!

Your vagina has a back and it is in your lumbar region? So you have a vagina on your backside? What's on the front a pee pee? Are you hermaphroditic???? Tell us the truth, bro. . . Let's have no secrets from your bros on TID bud. . .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic