Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

1200 cals too low?

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
I hired a trainer to help me get lean before I go to Cuba in 7 weeks.

I recently started lifting again and eating right again after taking a 3 month break from everything. I didn't exercise at all and ate junk carbs and drank pop and coffee. I was stressed, tired, sick and didn't make time for my health (which I regret).

Anyway, my body fat went from 17% to 22% (apparently) and my lean muscle mass went from 98lbs to 85lbs. I have a lean frame to begin with so this is a huge difference for me. This is according to a body fat scale and I know they're not super accurate. I have a bit of a pooch now and look and feel bloated.

The trainer suggested a 1-2 day fast (no calories at all) followed by a 1200 calorie high fat, extremely low carb diet. The low calories concerns me greatly. I lift 4x/week and do HIIT 2-3x because I enjoy it.

Is there another way to get lean and in shape again in 7 weeks without cutting calories so much? I already reduced from 2200 daily to 1600 daily. 1200 seems like way too little.:(

Kimm4

Kimm4

TID Lady Member
Feb 5, 2016
7 weeks isn't a ton of time but you can make some nice changes in that time frame. 1200 calories is quite aggressive and most people don't need to go that low. What's your height and weight? If you give me that I can give you better feedback. A low carb diet isn't needed. Carbs are an important fuel that's needed for training and recovery. Give yourself and decent amount so you can function properly though out the day and you'll feel better.

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
7 weeks isn't a ton of time but you can make some nice changes in that time frame. 1200 calories is quite aggressive and most people don't need to go that low. What's your height and weight? If you give me that I can give you better feedback. A low carb diet isn't needed. Carbs are an important fuel that's needed for training and recovery. Give yourself and decent amount so you can function properly though out the day and you'll feel better.

Thanks!! I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 115lbs. Definitely back to being skinny fat.

Scale says 22% body fat but who knows.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
well, I'm at 1833 and I'm starving LOL

I train 5 days a week and do cardio pretty much everyday...you aren't going to have the energy nor the proper nutrition to gain some muscle with that number IMO, you are 5'8 @ 115, why in hell would you reduce calories, you need to gain some lean muscle woman :)

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
Exactly! And the more muscle I gain, the more fat I'll burn. Which is why I was thoroughly confused!

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
I suppose I could keep my calories up but switch to a Keto diet for a while. I think the trainer's goal is just to switch my metabolic state so I'm burning fat instead of carbs, which can be achieved still through high calorie intake but just extremely low carbs. Right?

Kimm4

Kimm4

TID Lady Member
Feb 5, 2016
Gaining muscle (calorie surplus) and fat loss (calorie deficit) are 2 different goals which means 2 different methods to get there. At your stats there's nothing to cut. You need to focus on adding some healthy weight/muscle to your frame. You need to build your foundation first and save the cutting/fat loss for the future.

If you were maintaining your weight at 2200 calories you'll need to increase that number. I would suggest a food scale to weigh, measure and track all foods accordingly. This is only way to know exactly how much you're eating.

Enjoy your trip!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Exactly! And the more muscle I gain, the more fat I'll burn.

Not true.... Sure adding muscle will raise your RMR, but it wont "burn fat". You burn fat when you are in a caloric deficit.

I suppose I could keep my calories up but switch to a Keto diet for a while. I think the trainer's goal is just to switch my metabolic state so I'm burning fat instead of carbs, which can be achieved still through high calorie intake but just extremely low carbs. Right?

Incorrect....keto is no magic potion. The same rules of thermodynamics govern it as well. If you eat more calories on keto the you burn you will gain weight. If you eat less than you burn, you lose it. Just like a conventional diet. Carbs are not bad....extra calories are.

Listen to the advice given. You have two girls in here who really know what they are talking about.

And agree....7 weeks in not much time to do anything. Faster diets generally lose more muscle. From your stats, I dont think that is what you are after.

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
Great information and just what I was looking for. Thanks all! I'll just continue doing what I did before my break since it was working for me.

And I suppose the pooch will flatten out again once my diet had been on par for a few more weeks? I've only really been back at it for about 2 weeks now and have been snacking (gasp!).

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I'll send you some formulas tomorrow that I used with this recent program I'm running that will help you figure out your calories and macros. :)

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I'd chew my arm off at 1200 calories.

Jenner and Kimm are giving solid advice. I'm twice your size and recomping on around 3800 calories

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic