Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kuma
What's New?

Exercises that don't involve neck too much?

A

arcticranger

May 5, 2024
Recently had a cervical spine surgery and told to know off the gym for 5 months which seems a long time. Would like to know what if any exercises does not involve the neck area. I'm thinking of light exercises like lying dumbbell raises or flyes. Or just doing light bench presses on a smith which seems well controlled. I am not going to take anything here as medical advice, just exploring the topic.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Good idea not taking anything anyone says as medical advice. I've recovered from a few surgeries but most didn't have the kind of potential repercussions that a cervical spine surgery could have. For me personally I'd stick with what the Dr allows you to do. I don't know any exercise that I'm not tightening up my neck doing. I think if you are wanting to do something just ask tell the Dr/surgeon what you want and see if he has any suggestions. Thats a surgery that you want to heal all the way up the first time then you can catch everything else up.

Diet during all of my post op periods was important the machine needs nutrients to recover. Has the Dr connected you with a PT yet?

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Good idea not taking anything anyone says as medical advice. I've recovered from a few surgeries but most didn't have the kind of potential repercussions that a cervical spine surgery could have. For me personally I'd stick with what the Dr allows you to do. I don't know any exercise that I'm not tightening up my neck doing. I think if you are wanting to do something just ask tell the Dr/surgeon what you want and see if he has any suggestions. Thats a surgery that you want to heal all the way up the first time then you can catch everything else up.

Diet during all of my post op periods was important the machine needs nutrients to recover. Has the Dr connected you with a PT yet?
Agree 100%. Only do what the doc writes for PT. Way too much risk here. 5 months seems like a long time, but fuck up a cervical surgery could be a lifetime.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Honestly, I’d stay away from any upper body work and maybe discuss Leg Presses Extensions and Curls with your surgeon.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
What did you have done? My wife had cervical french door laminiplasty C3-C6, and a laminectomy at C7 last October. She was walking from day 0 of surgery, and in the pool swimming and in the gym by mid December. Everything was taken very slowly of course, but they wanted her moving right away. She was released for full activity with the caveat of "listen to your body" in January. This was a very major surgery.

I don't think she will ever do heavy upper body lifts or competition squats again - just a risk reward thing. But they had her moving from day 1. 5 months no gym sounds extreme.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Got an assload more instincts+guesses than I have knowledge or experience, but I'm guessing that in-the-pool stuff makes all the difference in the world. Too bad that most doctors and their patients might not always have access to that.

"Hydrotherapy" is not common with Veterinarians and their patients, but it is not rare either.

Good on ya, @DieYoungStrong , and on your Wife and her care team.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Got an assload more instincts+guesses than I have knowledge or experience, but I'm guessing that in-the-pool stuff makes all the difference in the world. Too bad that most doctors and their patients might not always have access to that.

"Hydrotherapy" is not common with Veterinarians and their patients, but it is not rare either.

Good on ya, @DieYoungStrong , and on your Wife and her care team.

When we found out how serious her condition was, I said "F**k It", and took her to one of the best hospitals in the world for orthopedic and spine surgeries. Thankfully it's within driving distance for me.

When the Chief Surgeon said "I have performed this surgery on 2 NFL football players and 1 NHL hockey player, and they are all still currently playing." I knew I was in the right place.

They had her walking in her hospital room with a walker as soon as the anesthia wore off and it was safe for her to get up - we are talking like 5-10 steps and get back to the bed. Then once she could walk up and down the hospital halls in the next few days we went home. We walked in the house every day like she was told too. The first 2-3 weeks were hell for her....and me taking care of her.

Within a month she was doing multiple 20 minute walks a day around the neighborhood. The surgical teams whole mantra was - you heal the spine by walking.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
You 2 lucked out with that doctor, and your Wife lucked out with her long-term post-op care "team," not discounting his pre-op due diligence. ;)

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I don't think I could do much of anything without involving my neck. I can consciously try to avoid tensing up shoulders or neck, but five seconds in to a motion and damned if I'm not doing it again. Like doing injections, I can start off relaxing a muscle and think I'm still relaxing it, and then ten seconds later while injecting realize "oh it's not relaxed." If someone has that "presence of muscle," probably no issue, but I carry way too much tension from shoulders up to be trusted.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I don't think I could do much of anything without involving my neck. I can consciously try to avoid tensing up shoulders or neck, but five seconds in to a motion and damned if I'm not doing it again. Like doing injections, I can start off relaxing a muscle and think I'm still relaxing it, and then ten seconds later while injecting realize "oh it's not relaxed." If someone has that "presence of muscle," probably no issue, but I carry way too much tension from shoulders up to be trusted.
I completely resemble that shit my neck is on autopilot, when I was heavy lifting I had a mouthpiece in always

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic