Latest Member
Remy14
What's New?

A Very Serious Side Effect Steroids - Polycythemia

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I kinda got to agree with F.I.S.T on this none of this really has been proven in regards to AAS use... there are alot of theories

Well the fact AAS raises RBC is proven, it's impact on renal failure....well it's questionable as those who usually present with increased RBC have existing chronic kidney disease not the other way around but it does raise the risk of thrombotic complication (like a heart attack) so it wouldn't be a big stretch to link the 2.

Glyco what did you mean by "The later is genetic but the former is not."?

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
That's also my thought process nut... Don't even think it's debatable, aas increases rbc's that's what it's sposed to do and that thickens you're blood... Great thread and I'm glad I read it.... Fist you're smart and lucky, you have a good doctor and get reg blood work done that comes back with goo results, but everybody isn't going to be as lucky as you.... Some may have gyno issues or prostate, high bP etc.... It's a real issue and should be taken seriously.

Q

Qwerty1424

MuscleHead
Mar 2, 2011
i understand what ur saying nut nut i always respect your info yes although AAS may increase RBC some increase alot more like EQ and others... I feel in my own opinion that if u run things moderately you should not have a problem with a overwhelming increase in RBC.... eating to much red meat can increase your RBC so if a person goes out and eats 8 10oz steaks a day he will run into a problem lol....but then again this is why we all get blood work done you do not even have to be a great doctor because when the blood work comes back.... it has the ranges on one side... yours on the other.... and it will also tell if it is high low very high very low.. etc.... so if your RBC is comming back very high on blood work im sure your doctor will look into it... and if ur using gear and thing its at a dangerous level it could be time to back off a little

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I found this googling and thought it was interesting

9 Reasons For Donating Blood | www.wftv.com

8. For men, there is a life-saving benefit to donating blood. Men are at higher risk for "hemochromatosis or iron overload" a potentially deadly problem where too much iron builds up in the blood. It can lead to heart disease and other major health problems. Research shows if men give blood 3 times a year, they can reduce their iron overload and therefore their risk of a heart attack by as much as 50%!

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Well the fact AAS raises RBC is proven, it's impact on renal failure....well it's questionable as those who usually present with increased RBC have existing chronic kidney disease not the other way around but it does raise the risk of thrombotic complication (like a heart attack) so it wouldn't be a big stretch to link the 2.

Glyco what did you mean by "The later is genetic but the former is not."?

Most persons with polycythemia have a JAK2 variant known as the JAK2 V617F mutation. Erythrocytosis is the more genericterm describing a condition where ther are to many RBCs.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
You know guys if you cycled this would rarely even be a concern. The RBCs come down in the off cycle period returning to normal in 6-10 weeks approximately.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
I absolutely disagree. Look up the downside of Erythrocytosis/Polycythemia. The later is genetic but the former is not. That's what you are when your Hct is 55 and over. It's no joke. Stay on a gram of AAS for 12 weeks at a time and cruise on 200 and repeat on end and you will have erythocytosis. You run the risks if you stay in that range. Look at all the pros that blow out their kidneys.

Glyco,you're confusing "ABUSE" with normal use.If you abuse AAS of course you run more risk than if you ran normal cycles and ran proper pct's and came off from time to time.As you said,look at the pro's.You know how much gear pro's run today? A lot more than the average everyday user that for certain.But even with that,there aren't as many pros dying as you'd expect.

I never run less than a gram a week of test,750mg of deca or eq and as I stated my blood work always comes back fine.As I said though,I really keep in control of my diet which is a HUGE part of my health in addition to my healthy lifestyle.I don't smoke,drink moderately and keep my training and cardio high.I teach MMA so I am always burning my body down brother.All big big parts to lasting health.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
I kinda got to agree with F.I.S.T on this none of this really has been proven in regards to AAS use... there are alot of theories

Very ture.Many theories but little medical evidence of it happening.The theories are what they know AAS "can" do to you organs BUT..... many of these health issues are offset by the benefits from their use as well as the combating of these things thru diet and exercise.

Of course there are always those "PRONE" to these health issues and no matter what they do in the long run will most likely develop these conditions anyway.For example,some smoke cigarettes and live till their 90,while others who never smoke die from lung cancer at 40.

Last edited:
69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I never run less than a gram a week of test,750mg of deca or eq and as I stated my blood work always comes back fine.As I said though,I really keep in control of my diet which is a HUGE part of my health in addition to my healthy lifestyle.I don't smoke,drink moderately and keep my training and cardio high.I teach MMA so I am always burning my body down brother.All big big parts to lasting health.
Side effects never present in 100% of users.

The rise in RBC count is one of the many reasons it is unsafe to run AAS without bloodwork. You don't feel your thick blood. You stroke out or have a heart attack.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Side effects never present in 100% of users.

The rise in RBC count is one of the many reasons it is unsafe to run AAS without bloodwork. You don't feel your thick blood. You stroke out or have a heart attack.

Couldn't agree more.I have blood work done before,during and after my cycles.As I said before,at my age im really on all the time with bridging so regular blood work is a must for me.I also keep my blood tests from the past and compare them often so I can see the changes happening to me as I get older.This is the best way to prevent any health problems IMHO and should be done by everyone cycling especially into their latter yrs.

Q

Qwerty1424

MuscleHead
Mar 2, 2011
get ur blood work done and u will be fine in sure

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic