pbtom
What's New?

Word Nerd

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
Today's word is:

meridian

This word is interesting (or strange), in that it has several diverse meanings. Its a line connecting the North Pole to the South Pole. It also means the middle of the day, or can used to mean the highest point, as relating to power, prosperity or development.

I don't know what it is about this word, but it calls to me lol. Adding it to my everyday vernacular.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I don't know what it is about this word, but it calls to me lol. Adding it to my everyday vernacular.
I felt the same about the word "ceraceous." Just don't know when I'll use it, and if I don't use it a few times, I tend to forget it!

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

nudum pactum

This word is a noun which means an unenforceable contract. Specifically, a contract that is void because of lack of consideration (something of value promised in exchange). This is in contrast to a contract that may be unenforceable for other reasons, such as a contract with a minor who does not have the legal power to enter into enforceable contracts.

The word is from the Latin nudus (bare), and the Latin word pactum (pact). The earliest documented use of this word is: 1603.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

titubation

This word is pronounced as: tich-uh-BAY-shuhn

This word is a noun and means an unsteady movement, such as the staggering, lurching, or nodding of the head. An alternative meaning is to stutter or stammer.

From the Latin wprd titubare. which means to stagger. Pretty old word, with an earliest documented use of 1641.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

twattle

This word is a noun that means idle talk or nonsense. This is actually a word that I know and while I don't use often, I've used it before. Not sure where the word comes from. Some thing it's an alteration of the word tattle. In any event, it's usually used to be derisive of what someone is saying.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Tommy, I have enjoyed the thread, I have done my best to avoid overdoing it in here, but ... REALLY?

twattle ???! If that ain't clickbait, or lickbait, or something, I don't know what.

Unfortunate resemblance to the word "spittle" conjures up mental images of where spittle and twattle might come from o_O

:) ?

Last edited:
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
It's NOT from the root word "twat", I assure you! LOL

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word (phrase) is:

cock of the walk

A noun that means a person who behaves in an arrogant and domineering manner in a group. Synonym: dickhead.

ETYMOLOGY:
In animal husbandry, an enclosed yard or a pen is known as a walk. A rooster who rules a roost is, literally, a cock of the walk. Earliest documented use: 1781.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

penetralia

This word is a plural noun that means the innermost, secret, or hidden parts of something.

This word comes from the Latin word penetrare, which means to penetrate, and from the Latin word intrare, which means to enter. The earliest documented use of this word is 1668.

This ends the week of words that each sound naughty, but in fact are not!

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Bringing back Word of the Day for my fellow word nerds.

Today's word is: epoch

It can be pronounced correctly two different ways: EP-uhk, or EE-pok

The word is a noun meaning a distinctive time period in history.

This word comes from the Latin word epocha, and/or from the Greek epoche. But the roots put together don't make any sense to me. From epi- (upon) + ekhein (to stay or hold). The earliest documented use was 1614.

I tend to think of this word as describing a time period marked by some specific dominating tribe, nation-state or train of thought. For example, the time period dominated by the Greeks either militarily or in philosophy can each be described as an epoch.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic