Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Fraud

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
This is why I no longer use a debit card. The bank has been good about getting us out money back, however, they have been utterly useless in terms of preventing it from happening in the first place. For instance, I travel out of state, tell them I am traveling out of state, and I use my debit card ONCE and it gets cut off and doesn't allow me to make the purchase for fuel. Then, a few months later, someone in Africa uses my debit card, for several thousand, over 10 transactions. Seriously? What moron is making the decision that domestic gets cut off immediately, but international use is ok for several charges???

Instead, I have a chase card for online purchases, coupled along side of PayPal, which is like double protection, and an American Express blue card for my every day spending.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Some useful information here:

https://identitytheft.gov/

When it happened to me I did the following:

*Made police report
*Contacted bank to start investigation
*Reported it to the credit bureaus
*Kept all records
*Contacted my attorney

It took awhile but the bank eventually ruled in my favor and I got everything back.

That is pretty much the exact steps she took. I'm not sure if she has spoken to her lawyer yet. He's already busy on a custody case for her so I'm not sure. I'll look into that. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Contact your local newspapaer, tv people.....Banks hate when this stuff hits the news and will be more likely to talk and remedy the situation.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Contact your local newspapaer, tv people.....Banks hate when this stuff hits the news and will be more likely to talk and remedy the situation.

Never even thought of that. Thanks FD

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Never even thought of that. Thanks FD

If u are near a big city the local tv station may have an investigation unit, they will do all the work for u to get the funds back....

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
If they used a debit card to drain account your bank is required by merchant account rules (visa and MasterCard) to cover those losses. IE if someone gets your card and changes on your account. They can do an investigation and takes up to 90 days and if they can't prove YOU actually spent the $$ then they have to give back...

The first thing you need to do is contact ALL THREE credit bureau's and tell them to put a fraud alert on your SS#. They will lock it for 90 days for free so No One can open any new accounts. You can pay a free and lock it up to 5 years I believe they do now.

IF someone stole your identity and opened new accounts you are going to have to probably hire a lawyer that specializes this and you can be held accountable for the loss. Identity theft is a very ugly thing and unfortunately, the credit bureau makes you do all the leg work.

I use Credit Karma (free) and Lifelock Ulitmate (paid) to monitor everything and I think everyone should it's worth the $$ I( seen it save people savings and credit.

If it was a debit card and the bank is NOT helping I would do as suggested, try and tell a local TV station but I would try to contact https://usa.visa.com/ and see if they can point you in the right direction as far as your bank not standing behind their merchant agreement. ALL banks using the Visa or MC logo on their cards even if it's a debit card has to protect their users from fraud.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
If they used a debit card to drain account your bank is required by merchant account rules (visa and MasterCard) to cover those losses. IE if someone gets your card and changes on your account. They can do an investigation and takes up to 90 days and if they can't prove YOU actually spent the $$ then they have to give back...

The first thing you need to do is contact ALL THREE credit bureau's and tell them to put a fraud alert on your SS#. They will lock it for 90 days for free so No One can open any new accounts. You can pay a free and lock it up to 5 years I believe they do now.

IF someone stole your identity and opened new accounts you are going to have to probably hire a lawyer that specializes this and you can be held accountable for the loss. Identity theft is a very ugly thing and unfortunately, the credit bureau makes you do all the leg work.

I use Credit Karma (free) and Lifelock Ulitmate (paid) to monitor everything and I think everyone should it's worth the $$ I( seen it save people savings and credit.

If it was a debit card and the bank is NOT helping I would do as suggested, try and tell a local TV station but I would try to contact https://usa.visa.com/ and see if they can point you in the right direction as far as your bank not standing behind their merchant agreement. ALL banks using the Visa or MC logo on their cards even if it's a debit card has to protect their users from fraud.

Thanks Tuff, I really appreciate all the info. She has contacted the credit agencies and they are watching it now. Hoping that they try to open one more so they can pin it. I'm heading home now so I'll get all the details I missed during the day on how much further the process is. I really appreciate all of the feedback from you guys.

pix3r

pix3r

Mar 14, 2017
I know this is of no help now... but i recommend placing transaction alerts on ur accounts. I get instant alerts of all transactions! It helps early detection of shit going south

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Happened to me once; only a couple grand. Bank contacted me so they knew something was up. They froze my account for a few days, replaced my card, put the money back.

Good luck.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Happened to me once; only a couple grand. Bank contacted me so they knew something was up. They froze my account for a few days, replaced my card, put the money back.

Good luck.

I hope it goes that well for us. The bank seems to want to work against us so far.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I hope it goes that well for us. The bank seems to want to work against us so far.

read and re-read everything in this thread, it will prove far more useful than your initial contacts with "the authorities." YOU, (she) should emerge just fine, other than the stress, but those mutha's will drag their feet a bit. Do not ignore LE, the other "authorities" may want a police report, informal phone convo doesn't count, might need something formal and documentable down the road. All of this should not require paying a lawyer to make a case for you, but if one is already working with her on other stuff, can't hurt to ask, additional fees would be a red flag.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
read and re-read everything in this thread, it will prove far more useful than your initial contacts with "the authorities." YOU, (she) should emerge just fine, other than the stress, but those mutha's will drag their feet a bit. Do not ignore LE, the other "authorities" may want a police report, informal phone convo doesn't count, might need something formal and documentable down the road. All of this should not require paying a lawyer to make a case for you, but if one is already working with her on other stuff, can't hurt to ask, additional fees would be a red flag.

I agree with you bro. Thanks for your input as well. We did do a formal and documented police report, but we all know there's not a lot they can do. That's something beyond them. We prob will mention it to the lawyer, he's a cool guy and she went to high school with him.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic