Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Low Fat vs Low Carb

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Well I generally track calories, macros and weight daily. I will say I honestly believe that allot more research needs to be done on the calorie needs of office workers. I know for a stone cold fact that at about 2200 I will maintain. Thats with 30-40min of AM cardio and 1.5hrs of fairly intense weights at night. The impact of sitting at a desk without getting up hardly at all for 8hrs a day is way more major on some people; I truly believe this. Not to mention 30-45 min commute AM and PM so your talking 9-10hrs of complete inactivity. Humans are not supposed to exist like that.
My inlaws have an awesome cottage in a real rural area. When I'm there I'll eat 4000-5000 calories per day while drinking beer n booze at night. The difference is I am NOT working out but I am very active for 8-10hrs per day. Just doing that and not even working out and i can double my caloric intake and maintain. I often think of how much more i could eat if i worked a labor job. Then I wonder if I would still have the drive to go hit weights the way I do now.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
When you track, you have to make sure you're tracking EVERYTHING. I don't mean the lettuce that you put on your burger, and usually we can get away with no tracking condiments, however, I have know a couple people that would eat tons of ketchup in order to cover up the taste of things they were eating to the point that it did have an impact. We are talking hundreds of calories. lulz. I don't track my ketchup because I only use a couple servings max, which is less than 100 calories.

That being said, where people screw up is drinks, a handful of something they toss in their mouth, and little opportunities that they don't realize they are coming across. One client was grabbing a small handful of peanut butter M&Ms every day, a couple times a day, and failed to mention it to me. I actually came across one of her coworkers that told me. When I confronted her, she seriously thought they wouldn't add up to much. *sigh*

During the winter, when I am not watching my weight, I am in the habit of getting 2-3 praline pecans when I get in to the pantry. Over the course of a week, that shit adds up to a LOT! At the least, a few hundred calories right there. But looking at it from a daily perspective, it seems so little.

When I am being strict though, I count pretty much everything, and it adds up very fast.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Gunslinger, that isn't very many calories. Do you feel hungry at that caloric intake? If not, I suppose it's just your metabolism, but that would be tough for me.

My metabolism hasn't definitely slowed over the years, but yours looks like it's in super slow-motion.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Gunslinger, that isn't very many calories. Do you feel hungry at that caloric intake? If not, I suppose it's just your metabolism, but that would be tough for me.

My metabolism hasn't definitely slowed over the years, but yours looks like it's in super slow-motion.

Not at all. Because of the extremely high fat I don't feel hungry at all. I'll save my records for a month or so and report back so shorts can see it's not a one day thing. I just started using this app.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
When you track, you have to make sure you're tracking EVERYTHING. I don't mean the lettuce that you put on your burger, and usually we can get away with no tracking condiments, however, I have know a couple people that would eat tons of ketchup in order to cover up the taste of things they were eating to the point that it did have an impact. We are talking hundreds of calories. lulz. I don't track my ketchup because I only use a couple servings max, which is less than 100 calories.

That being said, where people screw up is drinks, a handful of something they toss in their mouth, and little opportunities that they don't realize they are coming across. One client was grabbing a small handful of peanut butter M&Ms every day, a couple times a day, and failed to mention it to me. I actually came across one of her coworkers that told me. When I confronted her, she seriously thought they wouldn't add up to much. *sigh*

During the winter, when I am not watching my weight, I am in the habit of getting 2-3 praline pecans when I get in to the pantry. Over the course of a week, that shit adds up to a LOT! At the least, a few hundred calories right there. But looking at it from a daily perspective, it seems so little.

When I am being strict though, I count pretty much everything, and it adds up very fast.

When I track I do. I'm telling you if you're a short stocky Endo type person and you sit your ass at a desk all day your metabolism grinds to a halt. It took me years to really get a grip on my caloric needs. The issue is even with 2x a day workouts your so relatively sedentary.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I'm near where Gunglinger is at. Between a desk job and long commute I'm only active a bit, though I work out nearly daily. I also think my Escitalopram is lowering my metabolism.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
When I track I do. I'm telling you if you're a short stocky Endo type person and you sit your ass at a desk all day your metabolism grinds to a halt. It took me years to really get a grip on my caloric needs. The issue is even with 2x a day workouts your so relatively sedentary.

Yep. Exactly the same here. Short endo body. I did what I was told for years from Drs. , nutritionists, trainers etc and I just got fatter. I had to find what worked for me. Was a long process of trial and error. I still cringe when I hear someone blindly recommend 200-300 grams of carbs per day. I remember eating like that and being 240 with 30% BF in my early 20's Low fat, moderate protein and high carb was the order of the day. Then a calorie was a calorie they said...lol

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Yep. Exactly the same here. Short endo body. I did what I was told for years from Drs. , nutritionists, trainers etc and I just got fatter. I had to find what worked for me. Was a long process of trial and error. I still cringe when I hear someone blindly recommend 200-300 grams of carbs per day. I remember eating like that and being 240 with 30% BF in my early 20's Low fat, moderate protein and high carb was the order of the day. Then a calorie was a calorie they said...lol

The issue is jobs SO sedentary coupled with increased sedentary personal lifestyles is a relatively new thing. Even the 70-80 year olds who worked desk jobs in their youth had more activity out side of the office. Not to mention the increased pressure today to not even get up from your desk for lunch. Honestly I'll have days where i barely leave my desk depending on conference calls, emails, ect...
It's one of the major modern issues for the health and fitness industry.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Just asking, but isn't there a higher risk of loosing muscle mass by doing this?

If you are natural, keep the deficit low. The dieting will take much longer as well, so you will need to break it up in to blocks in which you will want to reassess, adjust macros and calories, as well as possible refeeds. I normally don't recommend refeeds, but in a situation of a natty trying to lose a lot, it's a must at certain points. That being said, refeeds are NOT to be done every week, unless it's very calculated, but even then, I don't recommend it.

I cannot stress enough having the right macros and deficit. If you are using Hgh, peptides, aas etc, there is a lot more room for error without losing muscle, but as a natural, it's much more fickle at times.

Last edited:
IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Just asking, but isn't there a higher risk of loosing muscle mass by doing this?
When you cut fat it is inevitable that some muscle will be lost. It can be minimized though. And the end result will APPEAR to be more muscle mass because of the added definition. One of the keys is to keep lifting as heavy as possible to let your body know that you NEED that muscle and to burn the fat first.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
When you cut fat it is inevitable that some muscle will be lost. It can be minimized though. And the end result will APPEAR to be more muscle mass because of the added definition. One of the keys is to keep lifting as heavy as possible to let your body know that you NEED that muscle and to burn the fat first.

Agreed. I keep rep ranges similar to when I am putting on mass; 6-12. I see folks change up their rep pattern and "chase the pump" because they think that this will give them better results while dieting, but the fact is, the goal is really to keep the body in a mode where it wants and feels the need to maintain as much muscle as possible to accomplish the work.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic