Low Fat vs Low Carb

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by sup3r_man, Jan 13, 2017.

1. DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller MuscleHead

Mar 21, 2017
    There is a lot of medicine and science, studies, experiments, data on how our bodies work, how and when we build muscle, lose fat, etc. But when my head starts spinning I just think of the caveman... what makes sense for a caveman's body to do in a situation. If a caveman is starving but still straining his muscles the last place the body is going to sap nutrients is his muscles. What that says for less important organs like, say, the brain, I don't know.

2. shortz

shortz Beard of Knowledge VIP

May 6, 2013
    Genetically, we differ a lot from cavemen. This is one reason why the whole paleo thing is so silly. Cavemen also didn't have near as much muscle mass as we do as weight lifters. Caevman were likely short, small framed, agile, and built more for running and survival.

3. DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller MuscleHead

Mar 21, 2017
    I agree, its an oversimplification. But I think some things in the animal kingdom can be generalized, even if not understood why.

Sometimes I need simple... I'm not a doctor and only interested in enough biology/physiology/nutrition to be a successful lifter/bodybuilder.

4. CFM

CFM VIP Member

Mar 18, 2012
    One person may thrive on a vegan diet whereas another cannot maintain let alone feel or look healthy on the same diet. Some folks genetically require more carbs, some more fats. I have, based on multiple cuts, bulks and various diets learned from my own experience I require fats over carbs (generally speaking).

No one size fits all.

tommyguns2 likes this.
  5. BackAtIt

BackAtIt Senior Member

Oct 3, 2016

Question from the hip....Why does the body burn muscle when there is plenty of fat to burn?...In other words, why doesn't it (body) burn ALL the fat first, then attack muscle?...

6. mjbanks

mjbanks Member

Nov 4, 2015
    i just read an article that said if i train six days, hard/lite/hard/lite etc. that i should have the same protein daily, and less carbs on lite and rest days, in order to cut as I go, i feel it, but idk if there's any negative gains yet

good luck :)

7. BrotherIron

BrotherIron TID Board Of Directors

Mar 6, 2011
    Men need fat especially if they are not supplementing. Remember your test is created from cholesterol.

CFM likes this.
  8. sityslicker1

sityslicker1 TID Board Of Directors

Oct 6, 2010
    I completely agree with you on this. The RDA was created back when people were farming for a living or physically busting ass to make a living, not sitting in a cubicle for 8 to 10 hours a day. And Kids were out playing in the yard, riding bikes etc and not sitting on there ass drinking coke, eating Twinkies all day playing Xbox and posting on FB.

The plate replaced the food pyramid a few years back, which is also shit. It was an attempt to correct our growing epidemic of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. Basically the same mis informed information put in a pie chart vs. A pyramid with minor tweaks, lol.

RDA calories and portions of grain/ fruits to veggies/ protein are off centered for most Americans these days. There needs to be more studies and evidence base info to blast this bullshit. But it won't happen. Too much money to be made on miss informed unhealthy people through healthcare, insurance and meds. Plus the price of junk food is much cheaper to feed the general public vs. Healthier options, a great example school food. Basically shit calories.

At one point in my life I want to major in nutrition and become a dietian, but I didn't for 2 reasons- everything is based on RDA as a guide for patients and secondly they really don't get paid well.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Gms585 likes this.
  9. ChuckLee

ChuckLee Member

Oct 16, 2017
    I agree with the above but in any case the RDA is not made for bodybuilders. We need to, you know, push everything above the limit if you want to see results.
    The only real way to find a baseline of what you burn everyday is to stick to a number and see in a few weeks how much your weight increases/decreases and make your tweaks from there.

BackAtIt likes this.
  10. MuntyHide

MuntyHide Member

Oct 25, 2017
    I follow low card diet +take clen pills, for now I see good results and will keep going

11. ChuckLee

ChuckLee Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Either low carb or low fat, you need to lose weight if you wanna lose fat in a reasonable amount of time; to lose wight you need to be in a caloric deficit, so in order to lose fat you need to eat lees than what you consume.
    Or you can choose the longer journey and opt for body recomposition. It's slow but gives what you aim for without losing weight.

BackAtIt and woodswise like this.
  12. woodswise

woodswise TID Board Of Directors

Apr 29, 2012
    I think it is because when in a severe caloric defecit that resembles starvation, your body will consume muscle and store fat as with less energy burning muscle, you need fewer calories to survive, and you have fat reserves to fall back on if the period of "starvation" continues. This is why a lot of people who follow extreme diets losing massive amounts of weight, end up getting fatter over time (whether they stay on the diet or go off) rather than getting leaner.

ChuckLee and BackAtIt like this.