Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Would you train in the AM on an empty stomach?

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
The way my schedule has been lately training early in the morning is my only option, Im also currently cutting and had been doing fasted morning cardio. So, my question is would you guys just get up and go knock it all out at once? Ive done it before and Im definitely weaker but Im not really expecting record breaking gains here. Thoughts and opinions are always appreciated.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
no. i used to train in the morning before work but i would drink a protein shake and an Animal Pak as soon as i woke up just to get SOMETHING in me before training. worked well for me for years that way.
perhaps do your cardio AFTER your workout?

B

BikerTrash

Rottens cookie dealer
Mar 19, 2011
I have been hitting the gym at early a.m hours for several years.
Im always up at 3:30am , eating and drinking shake and then shower .
Im at the gym lifting at 4:45am - 6:15am mon-fri ..Although I dont do cardio and havent the slightest bit of opinion on wether to eat before or after cardio but I do know this .I always eat every morning upon wakeing up prior to the weights and drinkin my coffee on the truck ride there.
If I were to incorperate Cardio into my routine I would do it Post weight training rather than prior so that not to use up all your energy source on cardio before wieghts ,just my .02 pennies

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Personally I wouldn't lift fasted but I know a couple people who do and it works for them. Experiment with it and see.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I wonder if doing so would leave you more prone to injury???

I think even if we were to look past the arguments about cannibalizing your lean mass to energize your workouts, there still is the argument about whether you have enough power and energy to perform at your greatest potential. Or even a level high enough to cause the muscles and CNS to adapt. At the least, I'd chug some BCAA's prior and during training.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
There was just a study done, I think by Layne Norton? that concluded that doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing has no significant advantage over eating something beforehand...

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I would imagine that your insulin sensitivity is super charged training in the am before meal. then you spend all day refeeding the trained muscle, I can see how one can eat more and stay leaner that way.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I do a 4 day split. up at 530 and gym by 615. I will drink a shake on all days but legs. leg day I do a small protein bar. just enough to get me through it. thats just me.

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
I've been training in the a.m. on an empty stomach for the past 3 months due to my schedule. ( I work a lot of hours).

Preworkout- water, aminos, ibuprofen and caffeine for energy.

Postworkout- protein shake right away.

Results - lost a lot of fat and gained some muscle but I would not recommend it if you are trying to gain serious muscle.

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
How hard did you push yourself in the A.M. Realize?

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
The caffeine actually helps a lot as far as intensity. I'm sure if I had some food in me I would be even stronger though.
I'm only training like this because I basically have no other choice right now.
Its good to experiment though and see how your body reacts/adapts.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic