Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Thoughts on best way to stretch...

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Just wondering how everyone static stretches? I see recommendations from trainers who recommend several 15-30 second stretches and others like Kelly Starett who recommends a single 1:30to2:00.

Thoughts?

Hawk

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
A thirty second static stretch doesn't even get you past the stretch reflex so no actual relaxation occurs.

Issue with static stretching is that the fascia around the muscle that gets restricted isn't stretchy. I do almost no static stretching. The closest I come to this is stretches with band distractions.

But even there I am pulling back. I am finding that all of my guys who have been doing static stretches particularly on the hips have muscles that are no longer tight but are experiencing joint pains anyway. My best guess is all the scouring of the capsule is just building more and more inflammation.

Instead of stretching consider some light movements. Are there particular areas you are looking to gain some better ranges with?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I prefer to perform movements with my red mini bands like PoB stated. It seems to work better for me.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
A thirty second static stretch doesn't even get you past the stretch reflex so no actual relaxation occurs.

Issue with static stretching is that the fascia around the muscle that gets restricted isn't stretchy. I do almost no static stretching. The closest I come to this is stretches with band distractions.

But even there I am pulling back. I am finding that all of my guys who have been doing static stretches particularly on the hips have muscles that are no longer tight but are experiencing joint pains anyway. My best guess is all the scouring of the capsule is just building more and more inflammation.

Instead of stretching consider some light movements. Are there particular areas you are looking to gain some better ranges with?

Thanks POB for your input. It is appreciated as always. The MT feels that my lower back issue (kind of tight and a general fatigue) is likely due to my hips being tight. Particularly my G. Minimus and adductors and iliopsoas.

She makes a good arguement as after several hours of torture and stretching I could feel a marked improvement in my low back :) However, there is still work to do.

Hawk

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Careful how you read Kelly Starett's stuff on stretching. If you watch his videos it's not a lot of static stretching, it's working in and out of the edges of a range of motion. Stretching, yes, but not the 1950's gym class static stretching we all got in grade school.

I do some of Starett's movements to open up hips and shoulders. Some of Donnie's stuff for the shoulders and back is done weekly. I also swear by the X-wife, we have one at the gym and I keep one in my living room. It's sitting on my quads as I'm typing this.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I need more information on this x wife.... I have a real x wife but shes not good for nothing...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I need more information on this x wife.... I have a real x wife but shes not good for nothing...
130 to 180 pound steel cylinder that you basically steam roll yourself with.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Careful how you read Kelly Starett's stuff on stretching. If you watch his videos it's not a lot of static stretching, it's working in and out of the edges of a range of motion. Stretching, yes, but not the 1950's gym class static stretching we all got in grade school.

I do some of Starett's movements to open up hips and shoulders. Some of Donnie's stuff for the shoulders and back is done weekly. I also swear by the X-wife, we have one at the gym and I keep one in my living room. It's sitting on my quads as I'm typing this.

When you do your hip flexor shove a ball under the butt cheek on that side. Pushed the hip into extension and the ex wife does the rest. Tried this the other day where my left side is giving me shit. Worked amazing.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012

That is a good point. I do some TFL Lunge Stretches everyday, but I can move around and find those tight spots and open up better. Same with the Band distraction stuff. I've been watching a lot of Chris Duffins stuff lately.

As for the X-Wife... I've been thinking of ways myself. I have a 6in PVC Pipe that is 24in Long. Heavy Duty stuff. Been using it like a Foam Roller. What I've been thinking of doing is filling it with Concrete. Just not sure what it would weigh? Using an online Concrete Calculator.. It says about 55lbs. Would that be enough to do any good? Could call it the Step-Child...lol

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
That is a good point. I do some TFL Lunge Stretches everyday, but I can move around and find those tight spots and open up better. Same with the Band distraction stuff. I've been watching a lot of Chris Duffins stuff lately.

As for the X-Wife... I've been thinking of ways myself. I have a 6in PVC Pipe that is 24in Long. Heavy Duty stuff. Been using it like a Foam Roller. What I've been thinking of doing is filling it with Concrete. Just not sure what it would weigh? Using an online Concrete Calculator.. It says about 55lbs. Would that be enough to do any good? Could call it the Step-Child...lol

You need to get it heavier. According to PoB you need it to weigh closer to 130. You'd probably be better getting a thick hollow piece of steel and filling that with concrete.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic