Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Thoughts on best way to stretch...

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
That is a good point. I do some TFL Lunge Stretches everyday, but I can move around and find those tight spots and open up better. Same with the Band distraction stuff. I've been watching a lot of Chris Duffins stuff lately.

As for the X-Wife... I've been thinking of ways myself. I have a 6in PVC Pipe that is 24in Long. Heavy Duty stuff. Been using it like a Foam Roller. What I've been thinking of doing is filling it with Concrete. Just not sure what it would weigh? Using an online Concrete Calculator.. It says about 55lbs. Would that be enough to do any good? Could call it the Step-Child...lol

If you don't want a solid chunk ( or just can't find one) go to any sporting goods store and buy a few bags of the lead shot they use to reload shotgun shells...... #9 birdshot should be heavier than concrete.

The idea with putting it ON you rather than under you is that you can just relax and let it work. When you're balancing on something you're not completely relaxed and can't get as deep in to the good stuff.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
So, how does one increase mobility? Will rolling out do using an X wife or other such techniques make up for it?

Hawk

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Just wondering how everyone static stretches? I see recommendations from trainers who recommend several 15-30 second stretches and others like Kelly Starett who recommends a single 1:30to2:00.

Thoughts?

Hawk

It's more important that you never stretch cold and also go correct . Time is irrelevant Just do after workouts for increase mobility

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
If you don't want a solid chunk ( or just can't find one) go to any sporting goods store and buy a few bags of the lead shot they use to reload shotgun shells...... #9 birdshot should be heavier than concrete.

Good Idea, I'll start looking around and see what I can find.

So, how does one increase mobility? Will rolling out do using an X wife or other such techniques make up for it?

Hawk

Stretching is still needed IMO,. but stuff like the X-Wife and Banded work does help a lot. Before and I after is what I do many times. But mainly I do just before or between warm up sets. Once I feel good I head into my heavy sets.

It's more important that you never stretch cold and also go correct . Time is irrelevant Just do after workouts for increased mobility

You can stretch cold, just takes much longer to do. I like to warm up a little to get the blood moving. Air Squats, push ups, Curls etc.. Just light weight. Then I work in my Banded Stretches or rolling.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Good Idea, I'll start looking around and see what I can find.

Stretching is still needed IMO,. but stuff like the X-Wife and Banded work does help a lot. Before and I after is what I do many times. But mainly I do just before or between warm up sets. Once I feel good I head into my heavy sets.

You can stretch cold, just takes much longer to do. I like to warm up a little to get the blood moving. Air Squats, push ups, Curls etc.. Just light weight. Then I work in my Banded Stretches or rolling.
Sorry no way would I eves recommend - when I teach at the Kung fu / chi gong schools past 20-30 years of "teaching " most injuries and permanent dysfunction result from that . I guess persons goals also important . Contrary to some authorities bad idea to stretch in between sets - doing to opposite things and only in this example create an adjustment making easy to injure. If you are involved in sport do slow deliberate motions mimicking your sport OR do treadmill or walk or light calisthenics are only way one warms up - then static type stretching . One exception is to begin slow deliberate dynamic stretching and as body temp increases - increase speed and range of move. In event some here are unfamiliar with the term dynamic or static - static is what mist understand stretching where you bend area it point where you feel tension in muscle targeted and hold stretch for duration of seconds ( few second too 20,30 or more ) these should only be done after warm up not only to prevent injury but that's one way to increase range of motion . In my 40 years of living exoerience doing it and teaching on top of formal education . Forgive me please for saying - usually more efficient and quicker way is dynamic - where say hamstrings / bicep femoris etc you stabilize your self standing on one leg and basically swing the other like a pendulum . Start with say ten reps not pushing it , then as you get warm and fitness level increases you can do more Reps, more intense and increase range of move . Dependence on body position is paramount to what muscle you are working - the hips , quads , hams. You can google dynamic stretching for every body part . Certain Korean martial art dojangs specialize on this type training to increase mobility in legs and hips to kick higher, faster and powerful. My initial experience . I say this not to brag but actually I've lived somewhat lop sided life . 40 somewhat years training in many many martial arts - my social life was train and hang with teachers now students . In the military I took advantage of traveling or training in Japan, china, Indonesia , Thailand and Philippines . Even when toured desert storm way back I hung with other guys who practice in free time . Socializing was never drinking or video games etc it was training or going to classes of some form. I'm actually jealous all you guys who have nice homes , nice cars family ,wife . So when I say I do this or that please know Its with respect . In the game of life I defer to all of you . Anyway variety in training ( and in life as I should ) use both modes of stretching . Just take it slow use good form . My qualm is I have seen too many permanent serious injury from stretching incorrect . Believe it or not worst unjuries I ever seen was people doing too much too soon In yoga classes . Anyone thinks thAt don't happen is mistaken . Just go slow in small increment if you are tight .

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Sorry no way would I eves recommend - when I teach at the Kung fu / chi gong schools past 20-30 years of "teaching " most injuries and permanent dysfunction result from that . I guess persons goals also important . Contrary to some authorities bad idea to stretch in between sets - doing to opposite things and only in this example create an adjustment making easy to injure. If you are involved in sport do slow deliberate motions mimicking your sport OR do treadmill or walk or light calisthenics are only way one warms up - then static type stretching . One exception is to begin slow deliberate dynamic stretching and as body temp increases - increase speed and range of move. In event some here are unfamiliar with the term dynamic or static - static is what mist understand stretching where you bend area it point where you feel tension in muscle targeted and hold stretch for duration of seconds ( few second too 20,30 or more ) these should only be done after warm up not only to prevent injury but that's one way to increase range of motion . In my 40 years of living experience doing it and teaching on top of formal education . Forgive me please for saying - usually more efficient and quicker way is dynamic - where say hamstrings / bicep femoris etc you stabilize yourself standing on one leg and basically swing the other like a pendulum . Start with say ten reps not pushing it , then as you get warm and fitness level increases you can do more Reps, more intense and increase range of move . Dependence on body position is paramount to what muscle you are working - the hips , quads , hams. You can google dynamic stretching for every body part . Certain Korean martial art dojangs specialize on this type training to increase mobility in legs and hips to kick higher, faster and powerful. My initial experience . I say this not to brag but actually I've lived somewhat lop sided life . 40 somewhat years training in many many martial arts - my social life was train and hang with teachers now students . In the military I took advantage of traveling or training in Japan, china, Indonesia , Thailand and Philippines . Even when toured desert storm way back I hung with other guys who practice in free time . Socializing was never drinking or video games etc it was training or going to classes of some form. I'm actually jealous all you guys who have nice homes , nice cars family ,wife . So when I say I do this or that please know Its with respect . In the game of life I defer to all of you . Anyway variety in training ( and in life as I should ) use both modes of stretching . Just take it slow use good form . My qualm is I have seen too many permanent serious injury from stretching incorrect . Believe it or not worst unjuries I ever seen was people doing too much too soon In yoga classes . Anyone thinks that doesn't happen is mistaken . Just go slow in small increment if you are tight .

I never said anything about Static Stretching? I follow Chris Duffin and some of Kelly Starrett stuff.

It is a good thing to learn from other sports. Powerlifting has been adapting and many of introduced to thoughts on this subject a lot these last couple of years. It's a good thing to see happen in our sport.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic