Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Yoke technique

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
So I was asked to participate in some Strongwoman training a couple of weekends ago. We did a variety of stuff, axle c+p, farmers walks, axle deads for max reps, and yoke walks. The gym has a proper yoke, the thing is everyone else is large enough to push against the uprights with their hands. I'm only a lil tacker so that's no go for me.
After my last 20m run of 245kg, my elbow was screaming. Why? It's the same position for my squat, bit further back due to the size or the bar there, but I've never hurt my elbow before. Tips on how to stop this from reoccurring?

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Pushing against the uprights works for some, but not for everyone, some of the fastest guys in the world hold onto the crossmember. I'm sure the weight u used was more than your typical squat, so you were fighting to keep the bigger bar (which also sits higher on your traps than a regular barbell) on your back. That's a lot of torque on your elbow joint. It is a new movement pattern all together and tough on your joints. You will get used to it the more you practice with it. Until then ice after training and deep tissue myofascial release on your biceps/bicep tendon will make a huge difference

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks alpha. Got another session tomorrow so I'll definitely be icing and hitting up the masseuse after.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Most times I can grab the sides. However there are a few I have to grab the crossbar on. It plays hell on everything ! You are essentially stabilizing the whole damn thing by the crossbar .
I love love yoke runs though ! I assume you are from the uk ? Are you gonna take a swing at competing ?

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
I'm from Australia. There's an amateur comp coming up so thought I'd give a whirl. Its bloody good fun. But hurts... Do you know of Asha Tracey? She's the local inspiration.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Yes ! I met her last year at the arnold. Do you know of Leigh or Susan keen ?
Have fun !

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hoping Asha comes to train tomorrow. Somehow I've ended up at the competing gym :-/ people get real funny about that shit here. I know of Leigh, i haven't met her tho, I didn't realise her mum was a competitor too. That's fkn awesome. I'll be sure to post an update on how it goes. It's certainly added a whole heap that was missing from the pl training.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
So to update this, I was in the amateur competition on the weekend. It went amazingly well. Was four events. Yoke, axle deadlifts for reps in 60 sec, axle clean and press for reps in 60 sec, and farmers timed over 20 metres. There were 18 competitors in total but only 3 chicks. I won every event, but more importantly to me, I beat all my old pr's. Was great fun.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
So to update this, I was in the amateur competition on the weekend. It went amazingly well. Was four events. Yoke, axle deadlifts for reps in 60 sec, axle clean and press for reps in 60 sec, and farmers timed over 20 metres. There were 18 competitors in total but only 3 chicks. I won every event, but more importantly to me, I beat all my old pr's. Was great fun.
That's awesome, congrats!!

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing more competitions. I like that there's fewer rules. being stung for technicalities sucks balls

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Lol ! And thAt is exactly why I would stink at powerlifting.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic