Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Journey to heavy-ass lifts!

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
I've never really been one for blogging or keeping track of my workouts, unless it's some kind of wise ass smart phone app that records my lifts for me saving me the bother of it all. I've been on this forum for about 2 days now and so far I've learnt a far bit and received some solid info. Some suggested a journal and I figured why not. So this is me...

5'7-5'8 not overly certain as to my height
I'm around the 90kgs / 200lb mark also. Couldn't tell you my body fat % but if I was to have a guess around the 25% mark.

My lifts...
Squat - 190kgs / 418 lbs
Bench - 105kgs / 231 lbs
Deadlift - 200kgs / 440 lbs

So here's where I started. Jus over a year ago I started 5/3/1 because I wanted to get strong, at the time is never really given PL'ing much thought. I carried on with 5/3/1 for the most of last year up until the beginning of this year, I started this year with
Squat - 165kgs / 363 lbs
Bench - 100kgs / 220 lbs
Deadlift - 180kgs / 396 lbs
It was then I decided I wanted to become crazy strong and get in to PL'ing and eventually try to compete at a meet of some sort.

So I started on shieko 29, then 37, and then got on to 30. But the volume was killing me! So I dropped shieko and started doing 5x5 SL to keep me active whilst I did my research on a decent solid lifting program. Which lead me here....I'm going to follow a Push/Pull/Legs layout.

My goals are to be meet ready in around a year or so time if sooner then great but a year is my overall goal. Id also like to drop some body fat and get down to around 10-12% mark so that perhaps I could lift in the 82kgs cat? Which brings me to my next issue my diet, it's terrible, I eat when I feel it and whatever I feel like eating! How I'm not a McNugget away from a heart attack is beyond me! So I spoke to a nutritionalist at my gym and asked her to write me up a diet that'll help me cut my BF % but still give me enough energy to complete my workouts and even progress.

This is basically what I've got -

Days I workout -

8am - 5 boiled eggs + 10oz steak
12.30pm - 1-2 chicken wraps with a whole grain wrap.
2pm - protein bar
3.30pm - tin of tuna
4.30pm - pre WO shake
6.30pm - post WO shake
7pm - 2-3 chicken breast with broccoli and spring greens.

Non workout days

6.30am - scrambled egg 3-4 eggs
12.30pm - 3 chicken breast with broccoli
2pm - protein bar
3.30pm - diced turkey breast with brocoli and spring greens
6.30pm - 1lb steak with greens.

To me that seems a little low on the off days. And was perhaps thinking about adding a jacket potato at around 5pm with some tuna or something and moving the 6.30 meal to 7.30.

So that's mean in a long and boring nut shell, sorry for the rather long essay. Any criticism is appreciated, completely new to this and so I'm not 100% sure if what I'm doing is right.

Thanks for reading, I'll try and keep this updated with my workouts n food intake!

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Yeah bro, if you're gonna powerlift you need to slam carbs for recovery.. otherwise you'll be dragging ass by week two.

Karma_Kinetics

Karma_Kinetics

Apr 27, 2014
and where is your fiber?
good to also add some other nutritious foods in addition to broccoli: ie veggies, green leafy, tomatoes, etc & some fruits(berries)

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Can't wait to follow along!

It sounds like you've made some nice progress.

You definitely need more carbohydrates. Just like NOV said, you'll be too tired in general and you won't have the explosiveness to drive the weight up. I can tell you this from my own mistakes. Haha

If you want to drop some weight and try to get stronger too you have to go reaaaally slooooooow with your weight loss. I think 1-5 pounds a month would be alright. Take your time so you don't effect your lifts that you've worked to get stronger at.

I made that mistake and I lost a noticeable amount on my bench.

This is just a suggestion. Find your maintainenace calories. Once you do, try starting off with just eating maintainence calories for about a month? Then drop to 200 calories below and see how you do.

Last edited:
Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Where are your carbs?!

Yeah bro, if you're gonna powerlift you need to slam carbs for recovery.. otherwise you'll be dragging ass by week two.
What sort of carbs would be best? And timings?

and where is your fiber?
good to also add some other nutritious foods in addition to broccoli: ie veggies, green leafy, tomatoes, etc & some fruits(berries)
Thanks man I'll bear that in mind
Can't wait to follow along!

It sounds like you've made some nice progress.

You definitely need more carbohydrates. Just like NOV said, you'll be too tired in general and you won't have the explosiveness to drive the weight up. I can tell you this from my own mistakes. Haha

If you want to drop some weight and try to get stronger too you have to go reaaaally slooooooow with your weight loss. I think 1-5 pounds a month would be alright. Take your time so you don't effect your lifts that you've worked to get stronger at.

I made that mistake and I lost a noticeable amount on my bench.

This is just a suggestion. Find your maintainenace calories. Once you do, try starting off with just eating maintainence calories for about a month? Then drop to 200 calories below and see how you do.

I've never really calories counted or done the iifym thing, the only advise I was given when I started lifting was eat like a horse n train like one, so id throw anything down my neck n then go lift and then go eat a shed load more. I'd like to lean out before thinking about losing weight. Obviously I'm going to loss weight whilst attempting a cut, but I'd like to get lean first, before I worry about my weight cat. I have no idea what to eat or when, hence the diet plan for the woman at the gym, admitting I did tell her my focus was the drop fat but I did also mention I didn't want my workouts/lifts to suffer

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
If you want to try the IIFYM type eating plan let me know. There is another member on this board that is big time knowledgeable on that type of eating.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
I want to do what ever is going to work for me, be it, IIFYM or eating chicken and pasta all day every day

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Go here and browse around: http://iifym.com

Go to the calculator tab and find the maintenance calorie calculator. Click on the IIFYM calculator tab and enter all of your stats. It will give you your calories you need to maintain your current weight.

Once you find that you can break your calorie intake into 3 categories: Protein, Carbohydrates and fats.

I'll send my friend a PM if you like and he can help you out a lot more than I can.

M

MJR

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2012
So your trying to cut and powerlifting at the same time? I think I missed sonethkng. You want a diet for powerlifting... Est a ton of good food high in carbs and protein. Then eat more, more, and more

just my opinion

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Before you try and figure out some kind of diet you need to really settle into your goal. It's either get stronger or get leaner. You won't do both.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
What kind of carbs? Powerlifting allows us to eat whatever the **** we want. Any diet, you want to get most of your carbs from vegetable and fruit sources. Complex carbs like rice and potatoes. If your fat, eat cleaner, if you need more weight eat everything. As stated, you can't cut and be a powerlifter expecting to increase strength. Any time you drop weight your strength will suffer somewhat. Pick a goal, stick with it. **** shit up and hurt feelings.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic