Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Journey to heavy-ass lifts!

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Go here and browse around:

Go to the calculator tab and find the maintenance calorie calculator. Click on the IIFYM calculator tab and enter all of your stats. It will give you your calories you need to maintain your current weight.

Once you find that you can break your calorie intake into 3 categories: Protein, Carbohydrates and fats.

I'll send my friend a PM if you like and he can help you out a lot more than I can.
Thanks man I'm gna have a ganders now!

So your trying to cut and powerlifting at the same time? I think I missed sonethkng. You want a diet for powerlifting... Est a ton of good food high in carbs and protein. Then eat more, more, and more

just my opinion

Before you try and figure out some kind of diet you need to really settle into your goal. It's either get stronger or get leaner. You won't do both.
Yeah that's pretty much it, I'd like to drop the body fat a lil first but I know it's not all that easy. But without sounding all hurr durr "he's my hero I want to be like him" what about dan green guy is ripped, jacked and a machine!

What kind of carbs? Powerlifting allows us to eat whatever the **** we want. Any diet, you want to get most of your carbs from vegetable and fruit sources. Complex carbs like rice and potatoes. If your fat, eat cleaner, if you need more weight eat everything. As stated, you can't cut and be a powerlifter expecting to increase strength. Any time you drop weight your strength will suffer somewhat. Pick a goal, stick with it. **** shit up and hurt feelings.

So would taking carbs from the likes of veg and fruit be a cleaner way of getting carbs, and perhaps result in a lower bf %?

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
So would taking carbs from the likes of veg and fruit be a cleaner way of getting carbs, and perhaps result in a lower bf %?
Absolutely. You might even invest in some vitagro or karbolyn. Just make sure you pound carbs. You'll hate your life if you don't lol.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Just a general idea for you:

Your carbohydrates can be all over the place:

Rice, potatoes, rice cakes, cereal, hash browns, pasta, cake, french fries, donuts etc.

If you use the IIFYM protocol your diet can be as dirty or as clean as you want.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Definitely keep your fruit and vege intake high, not only for the carbs but the fibre as well.

Keep up the good work in here, looking forward to seeing what you can do.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Absolutely. You might even invest in some vitagro or karbolyn. Just make sure you pound carbs. You'll hate your life if you don't lol.
Thanks, in British, what are they?
Just a general idea for you:

Your carbohydrates can be all over the place:

Rice, potatoes, rice cakes, cereal, hash browns, pasta, cake, french fries, donuts etc.

If you use the IIFYM protocol your diet can be as dirty or as clean as you want.
Yeah I'm gna have a real good look at that n see if I can work it!
Definitely keep your fruit and vege intake high, not only for the carbs but the fibre as well.

Keep up the good work in here, looking forward to seeing what you can do.

Thanks man!

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
So today's session
Pull
Deadlifts 3x5 - 160kgs so these where a lot harder then I has originally thought. On the second set last rep I had to stop completely and reset myself to get that last rep. That whole of the last set was an utter struggle but I kept my best form and tried my damned hardest to work through it!

BB rows 3x5 - 80kgs
Again these where a little harder then I first imagined, but got through them a lot easier then the DL's, though every set I struggled on the last rep, and so felt obligated to hold it for 2-3 seconds at the top.

Curls 3x10 - 10kgs
Turns out I can curl more then 10kgs for 10 reps, so eventually ended upping it to 12.5kgs not a massive increase but enough, could only get 6-7 with 15kgs.

At this point I was supposed to do some chins and leave it at that for tonight, but a friend of mine was doing some T-bar rows and i ended up dropping in for 2 or 3 sets.

Then I eventually got on to chins. I suck at these! 3xAMRAP! Well i got 6 reps the first set and the last two sets 4/5.

Food intake today was VERY low bad quite terrible if I'm honest! As I've said previously I haven't a clue what to eat or when to eat it. But I'm learning slowly!

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Karbolyn and vitagro are carb supplements, you can buy them in most supplement stores or online. Dieting is very simple. Everyone over complicates it. Eat lean meats and starches, vegetables and fruit. Stay away from processed and pre packaged foods as much as possible. You need calories.. start at 3000 and increase regularly. If you start getting fat, back off. General rule of thumb, eat as clean as possible leading up to your workout.. afterward you can pretty much eat anything. WHOLE FOODS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND. What this means is foods in their natural form, without additives or any other bullshit. Buy fresh lean cuts of meat and fresh fruit/ vegetables. Remember, greens are unlimited.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks! I work in a butchers so access to meat isn't really an issue I have. Tomorrow's lunch and mid afternoon/preworkout food will both be 2 chicken breast and a shit ton of broccoli

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
So leg day!
Food in take wasn't that great today. Well it jus want as I planed it. But got on with it anyways.

Squat 5x3 - 140kgs
Felt really weak doing these, but then the only over time I've got to 140kgs I've kept the reps really low. And not really gone past 3-5, so to do 3x5 just felt a bit weak. I'm not all that sure?

Front squats 3x5 - 120kgs
Turns out I can't front squat 120kgs for 5 anymore and ended up dropping to 100kgs. Can anyone recommend anything to work on flexibility to help me hold the bar across my delts?

Leg press 4x6 - 347kgs
Nothing to really say about this other than it hurt!

SLDL 3x5 100kgs
This also hurt a lot! All in a good way though!

Now I was supposed to do lunges but someone on here had suggested to not do them. So I ended up doing leg extensions, did about about 5 sets, and kept the reps above 10.
Then that was me done, any advise? Was wondering if it was a good idea to swap the front squats out for back squats, dropping the weight a lil and upping the reps?

Also the leg extensions cut them out? Replace them with something else? Is there anything else I could add to it?

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
So after some research and some asking around, changed a few things up.
On my push day instead of flyes, I'm doing paused benching, with a little less weight for five sets of ten.

On my pull day I'm doing snatch grip Deadlifts for three sets of ten

And then on leg day instead of leg extensions I'm doing paused squats with around 110-120kgs for five sets on ten.

Solodshot

Solodshot

Apr 28, 2014
Push day!

First time I've benched in a couple of weeks also the first time I've pressed in a while too. Had to drop the weight here and there was jus to heavy for me. Guess I let my ego plan my weights and not my brain, lesson learnt! So here it is...

Bench

Bar x 30-40
60kgs x 5
90kgs x 5
80kgs 2 x 5

Press
3x5 - 60kgs

Weighted dips
10-15 at body weight
30kgs on the belt x 4
20kgs - 2 x 8

Paused bench
5 x 10 - 60kgs

DB bench
3x5 - 30kgs

Then after all that did a few set of flyes on the machine.

So there were a few lifts that I guess we're just to heavy for me, dips were way to much, I'd previous done 3x5 with 35kgs on the belt but that was a good six weeks ago. First set on bench were a lil to much also, again had previously done 3x5 with 90kgs but that was also a good 6-8 weeks ago.
The paused reps were intense, really made my triceps burn, but I could tell right off the bat that they were going to hurt and help me in the long run and refused to lessen the weight!
There wasn't much reason for the cable flyes other then I just wanted to, I'd finished my workout and figured it wouldn't kill me so did it.

If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Where are your carbs?!

I completely agree with MJR. If you want to bend bars and set PR's you NEED carbs.... and lots of them. You also need lots of greens.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic