Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

Macgyver: From recreational lifter/bodybuilder to powerlifter. A new road to travel.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I do these but I use strict form and call them barbell rows, I am also far more explosive than this guy is. With any weight.

That's why you are...........superman! Great movement for strengthening the upper back

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You can cut from 205 to 198 with water alone the day prior to a meet and not affect strength at all. That is a very minimal cut. You got this handled. Don't over think it. Get that squat revamped. like sad mentioned lots of reps at 50% for form. strengthen that upper back and soar big mac.

Fair enough. I will take your word on that. I have no experience cutting weight fast, but I have read where others say it can be done.

Looks like my focus will be on my squats and benching for a while. I am going to have to stick with close stance squats till the hip gets better, but I think I can still move some decent weight that way.

I will be posting some progress vids.

Just sub'd to this journal ;)

Cool man. Good to have you on board!

hey mac, PM me I'll send you some links to help your bench form. It's garbage. Thats funny too considering the amount you put up with that form. If you use a better form you would clean that weight with ease.
You are a strong mother****er, If you ever need anything I'd be glad to help you are a monster and will break alot of local and possibly state records very quickly if you train properly.

PM sent for sure! Thank you for the offer.

Im in MAC I have goals I'm not reaching due to a couple things all of which are just me,
Sub your log may help me fix myself!

Cool. Hopefully we both can learn something!

Welcome to the madness Brother, Subbed!

Thanks man.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Just wanted to say thanks to Superman who sent me a bunch of homework. I still have to go through it all, but I will post what steps I am taking and vids to see progress.

Cant thank you guys enough! Hope I can pass on anything I learn.

Mac

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
That's awesome, he seems like a cool guy and certainly sounds like he went out of his way for you Mac.

Looking forward to seeing how you respond to everything !!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I do these but I use strict form and call them barbell rows, I am also far more explosive than this guy is. With any weight.

Super... you know who that is right? That's Max Aita. He got a 1600+ raw total @ 220lbs with an hamstring injury. Dude squats in 7's at that weight. He's also got a monster pull. His bench isn't very good but when you pull and squat what Max does it doesn't really matter.

He was also a decent Oly lifter so I don't know if you're faster Super. Gotta be fast to perform the classical lifts.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Max's bench is respectable as well. His transition to PL has been cool to watch.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
OK guys. This is my first shot at a better bench form.

I watched Dave Tates series on youtube. "So you think you can bench".

Boy...is my form sucky! It really is amazing how tiring setting up a good bench can be. I did 3 sets of 5 with 135 and then 4 sets of 5 with 225. I was actually sucking a little wind.

I moved my grip out about an inch on each side. Used to bench with pinky in the ring, now my ring finger is on the ring. Looking at the vid, I can see that now my elbows do not drop down below the bench. I am going to continue to practice this and not go any heavier then 225. To work my chest well and not carry over bad habits, I will introduce heavy dumbbell presses to make up the lack work.

Here is my first shot at a more technical form.

Last edited by a moderator:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
OK guys. As promised. Here is squat form. Using light weight (225) concentrating on chest out. Considering my close stance, I am thinking it is OK that my knees travel over my toes. (not sure though) Good news is no hip pain at all during entire session.

Would love any feedback.

I did 7 sets of 5 today staying with 225. (It is time for a deload on 5/3/1 anyway, but I am thinking I will take advice given here and try to straighten out form a little before going up too much.

Feedback welcome and appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Squat form looks pretty good. Try to work on a 3 step set up when walking out. first step out, second step the opposite foot in squat position, third step lead foot now in squatting position. Will save some energy.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic