Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Nickobat
What's New?

Macgyver: From recreational lifter/bodybuilder to powerlifter. A new road to travel.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Good deal man. Glad to catch it from the beginning.

HDH

Thanks man....good to have you along.

Mac,

Incorporate some pendlay row as show and this will help with your upper back strength additionally, helping you to be more upright on the squat. Also get that head up prior to unracking the weight. Best of luck with the training

Thanks for the squat tips. I am trying to switch over to low-bar (always squatted high bar in the past). As you can tell, I am not even close to feeling comfortable and stable yet.

For speed from the floor on deads, work in deficit deads and snatch grip deficit deads.

For completely revamping your bench and squat form, work high rep in the 50% range for at least a few weeks. The old adage about how long it takes to make something habit and how much longer it takes to break bad habits and remake good ones, makes it sensible to get there faster using lighter weight and higher reps. If you try to get in hundreds and hundreds of reps at 75+% it'll take months and months, IF you stay healthy.

Once you've gotten your form worked out and have found a thoughtless and comfortable groove using your new form, THEN start working back to the heavier weights.

Just my opinion.

Thanks man! Glad you come by. I appreciate it truly.

Can't wait to follow MG.

Your numbers are really impressive man.

I think you will do great in powerlifting. :cool:

Thanks....but my challenge now it to become more technical. I was able to add 40lbs to my dead by cleaning up some issues. If I can make similar improvements in bench and squats, I will be very happy. The biggest challenge will be my squats. It is just going to take some time to feel comfortable under the bar again. The movement still feels very uncoordinated and my muscles are not yet firing in a smooth coordinated order. I think that will come with time. If in the mean time, I can improve my basics, I will be much better off in the long run.

Bench....well....At least I know where to start. The beginning ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Workout philosophy

I have always enjoyed basic heavy compounds. Recently I ran 4 cycles of 5/3/1 and enjoyed progress, but there were other areas that were lacking for me. My training will be keep the 5/3/1 progression on my main 4 lifts but deloads will be 'as needed'. The accessory work will totally change up. This is a hybrid of my former program and 5/3/1

breakdown:
4day split. Upper/lower. Body gets hit twice per week. On heavy and one light.

Mon Upper
Chest and back focus

5/3/1 bench progression
3x10 bent row
3x10 dumbbell fly (really working stretch...terrible chest flexibility)
3x10 pullup (variations of grip)

2 set of tris
2 sets of bis

Tues Lower

5/3/1 squat sets

3 sets of either light squats with 50%1rm or hacks or leg press.

Leg curls
Calf work

Thu: Upper shoulder and arm focused

5/3/1 OHP

3x10 dumbbell lateral

3x10 CGBP

3x10Cable flys

3 sets heavy tricep work (oh dumbbell ext, skull crusher...etc)
3 sets heavy bicep work (ez curl, dumbbell..etc)

Friday

5/3/1 deadlift progression

Accessory dead work as feeling it. (deficits, speed pulls etc)

Leg ext
Leg curls

Calf work.

So that is my 'hybrid' routine. I enjoyed the 5/3/1 progression and not taking all my sets to failure. I also like working the sub-maximal weights and trying to add reps to my "+" sets over time. The structure is nice with the juxtapose of a more free-form accessory work that is some what bodybuilding style and fun to do.

Feedback is welcome for sure.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
When is the next meet that you have planned?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Two thumbs up Mac

Thanks

When is the next meet that you have planned?

Nothing specific planned right now. Maybe for the fall. I was going to try for a full power meet in early June, but I was not anticipating my leg taking so long to heal. This has really complicated things for me.

It however gives me a chance to focus on improving my form. I am not in a big rush.

Last thing I need to really get a handle on is my bodyweight. I have let it drift up to 205 range. (207-208 mid day). To be at my best, I would imagine I would have to be in 198's. That will take me a probably 4-6 weeks to cut the fat slowly without hamper my strength too much. Since I have not had any specific plans, I am just letting my weight be for the time being and enjoying summer (letting things hang lose a little). This is really the first time in over 2 years that I have not been planning and tracking my macros for all my meals. I still have "abs" but I am not bodybuilder lean. Guessing 11-12% bf atm.

It is a nice break for sure. :D

Legs still very lean. Skinfold under 4mm atm. I just snapped this. Cold sitting at my desk.
4b143ea0-0f3b-41c4-a1b7-d80f1e1887f9_zps4f7372f5.jpg

Last edited:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
You can cut from 205 to 198 with water alone the day prior to a meet and not affect strength at all. That is a very minimal cut. You got this handled. Don't over think it. Get that squat revamped. like sad mentioned lots of reps at 50% for form. strengthen that upper back and soar big mac.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Just sub'd to this journal ;)

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012

Mac,

Incorporate some pendlay row as show and this will help with your upper back strength additionally, helping you to be more upright on the squat. Also get that head up prior to unracking the weight. Best of luck with the training

I do these but I use strict form and call them barbell rows, I am also far more explosive than this guy is. With any weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
hey mac, PM me I'll send you some links to help your bench form. It's garbage. Thats funny too considering the amount you put up with that form. If you use a better form you would clean that weight with ease.
You are a strong mother****er, If you ever need anything I'd be glad to help you are a monster and will break alot of local and possibly state records very quickly if you train properly.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
...you are a monster and will break alot of local and possibly state records very quickly if you train properly.
I have to agree with this. With a good coach behind you, I'm sure you would be able to do really well Mac.

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
Im in MAC I have goals I'm not reaching due to a couple things all of which are just me,
Sub your log may help me fix myself!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 3 members watching this topic

, ,