Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kuma
What's New?

Macgyver: From recreational lifter/bodybuilder to powerlifter. A new road to travel.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You want a big bench Mac? Look to Metal Militia. Check out the set ups in this vid.

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Man....that is going to be tough! I liked setting my feet first as I could get a much better arch. Looks like I am going to have to start working up to it as flexibility (or lack thereof) allows.

I think I am going to do these twice a week to work towards getting down this path quicker. I dont just want to work on it once a week. With weights this light, is there any harm in that?

Schultz is right though. If I kick your legs they'll move easily b/c of your foot position. You at least want the ball of your foot down (in contact) with the ground to get leg drive. I don't keep my heels on the ground but I have my balls of my feet on the ground and I can feel it in my quads when I bench.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You want a big bench Mac? Look to Metal Militia. Check out the set ups in this vid.

]

Thanks man! I am absorbing (or trying to) the best I can. I am going to start working form twice a week. I am also going to work on flexibility. Thanks for the help!

Schultz is right though. If I kick your legs they'll move easily b/c of your foot position. You at least want the ball of your foot down (in contact) with the ground to get leg drive. I don't keep my heels on the ground but I have my balls of my feet on the ground and I can feel it in my quads when I bench.

I will get the balls down next time for sure. I was concentrating so much on the arch, I did not even realize I was on my toes!

Tonight I went a little heavier on squats since you guys said my form was OK.

Last set was a 475 single. While the weight was not 'heavy' from a movement standpoint, I was not 100% comfortable and you can see my CNS needs to come up to speed. (movement gets jerky at heavier weight). I need to spend some more time with weight on my back to get real comfortable. I also worked on getting a better walk-out, but that kinda broke down at heavier weights.

I think there is a decent amount left untapped. Good thing was I squatted with ZERO hip pain.

405 (was sloppy and uncoordinated)

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Man....that is going to be tough! I liked setting my feet first as I could get a much better arch. Looks like I am going to have to start working up to it as flexibility (or lack thereof) allows.

I think I am going to do these twice a week to work towards getting down this path quicker. I dont just want to work on it once a week. With weights this light, is there any harm in that?

I work bench 3-4x/weekly. I have gotten back to my before strength level so I am going to start working it twice weekly. Don't put your legs SO far back. I will get you a video of my footwork. and my bar path from a side view it'll be of good help. I go to a powerlifting gym where we've got a guy that missed a 1004 squat, several 700-800 pound deadlifters, and probably 10-15 of us bench over 400 and 30-40 of us bench over 350. Powerlifting bench not a touch and go. I get serious leg drive, if I could show you it could easily translate for it. It's hard to tell you how to do it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Your 475 squat looked better than your 405 squat. I would suggest adding in a 365 for a single or a double. That usually happens if you're taking too big of a jump. Other thing is, start with your knees locked. Look at the 475. Your knees are bent the whole time you're getting ready to squat. That is draining your muscles of energy. Its also against the rules. You'll never get a squat command.

Finally - squatting is war. And you need to be confident (bear with me, this is how I explain this lol). Look at your upper body posture when you unrack the bar. It lacks confidence. Slouched over, shoulders rounded forward, head down. You need to unrack that shit like a boss!!!! Head up, pack the neck, squeeze the traps, lats and your grip around the bar. Then pop that mother ****er out of the rack, step left foot back, right foot back and then step one foot out to your appropriate width. Knees locked, back arched. Open the hips and drop in and drive the knees out and up out of the hole.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I work bench 3-4x/weekly. I have gotten back to my before strength level so I am going to start working it twice weekly. Don't put your legs SO far back. I will get you a video of my footwork. and my bar path from a side view it'll be of good help. I go to a powerlifting gym where we've got a guy that missed a 1004 squat, several 700-800 pound deadlifters, and probably 10-15 of us bench over 400 and 30-40 of us bench over 350. Powerlifting bench not a touch and go. I get serious leg drive, if I could show you it could easily translate for it. It's hard to tell you how to do it.

I am going to work form as suggested twice per week. Would be great to catch a workout with some guys that actually know something. My gym is filled with some strong guys, but none are technical.

Your 475 squat looked better than your 405 squat. I would suggest adding in a 365 for a single or a double. That usually happens if you're taking too big of a jump. Other thing is, start with your knees locked. Look at the 475. Your knees are bent the whole time you're getting ready to squat. That is draining your muscles of energy. Its also against the rules. You'll never get a squat command.

Finally - squatting is war. And you need to be confident (bear with me, this is how I explain this lol). Look at your upper body posture when you unrack the bar. It lacks confidence. Slouched over, shoulders rounded forward, head down. You need to unrack that shit like a boss!!!! Head up, pack the neck, squeeze the traps, lats and your grip around the bar. Then pop that mother ****er out of the rack, step left foot back, right foot back and then step one foot out to your appropriate width. Knees locked, back arched. Open the hips and drop in and drive the knees out and up out of the hole.

POB

100% dead on. You are right. I lack confidence with the weight. My hip is always in the back of my head thinking it is going to give out on me. As I have been squatting narrow these past weeks, I am getting more confident. Funny you mention it as Flex gave me the same advice almost word for word.

I will work on the locked knee thing. I am not going to be doing many singles and at this point I am going to drop back and work the 3-5 rep range. Now that I know 475 is not an issue (a big mental barrier) I might just finish out my work days with it to get more used to the feel.

I am JUST NOW getting to the point where I have confidence in my deads. If I could get the same transfer over to my bench and squat I am sure it will pay dividends.

Thanks for the advice.....you KNOW I am going to do my best to put it to use!

On a cool note, I realized this (mediocre at best) squat puts me in the 1500 club. Now if I get my act together......:D

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Taking a little break from conventional deads for the next few weeks. Last week I did deficits. Today I decided to do some RDL's on a platform.

Went up to 495 on my last set.

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
you will never need straps again, ditch em

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
you will never need straps again, ditch em

I love straps and they have their place for me. On rep work like this, I am not trying to build grip strength. Hell, my grip is never an issue. Anything over 3 reps, I will use straps and DOH. (safer on bicep and better lat activation. I see no shame in it.

When the time comes, I can hold on to more then my max....that is all that matters for me :D

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Good pulling as always Big Mac.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Three weeks to get ready. First meet so important that you get the chance to soak it all in and enjoy it as well.

I'm excited for you buddy, looking forward to seeing what you can do on the platform.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I love straps and they have their place for me. On rep work like this, I am not trying to build grip strength. Hell, my grip is never an issue. Anything over 3 reps, I will use straps and DOH. (safer on bicep and better lat activation. I see no shame in it.

When the time comes, I can hold on to more then my max....that is all that matters for me :D

I would suggest if you like using straps, you pick up a pair of short nylon Oly lifting straps. They will barely help so you still work your grip.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic