Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Word Nerd

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
Perspicuously ... but I'm making supper right now and might be splitting Hares.
Exactly why i have to use simply words. I even struggle with that sometimes lol.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
I'm grateful-as a teenager-I continually used a thesaurus as a means to seperate myself from the ill-educated rednecks that surrounded me. However, as an adult, I look back at me teenage egotism with indignity.

The best thing to do:

Use google and type "word synonym". Any word you choose will be given a list of synonyms for that word. Enjoy.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
Today's word is:

yestereve

This word is a noun that means yesterday evening. I guess this must be the cool way of saying "last night." At least it's the kind of word that means just what it sounds like.
Be careful with words such as "yestereve".

It is archaic; it is no longer in use. You'll get weird looks or even be mocked.

Google searches can tell you if a word is archaic or not.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
Today's word is:

typomania

The word means an obsession with typography, typology or symbolism. Or an obsession with getting published.
Suprisingly, it doesn't mean you freak out when people don't correct their typos?

I've got a friend who's a graphic designer, and he's relatively famous for designing a new font that was adopted for a version of the Bible. Apparently, there is a lot of effort is designing fonts that are "compact", meaning the resultant words don't occupy a lot of space on the page, but at the same time are not difficult on the eyes when reading. I had no idea. But it makes sense. You waste less paper, but who really cares if the text is difficult to read and no one bothers reading it.
With "typomania", the focus is the typesetting (i.e. what font is used), not grammatical errors.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Word for today is:

neoist

This word is a noun that means one who favors or employs new ideas, styles, techniques, etc.
As an adjective it's favoring new ideas, styles, techniques, etc.

I'd like to think that I'm a neoist, but when I'm honest with myself, I'm pretty comfortable sticking with the old tried and true. I suppose the key is to know when to do each.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Be careful with words such as "yestereve".

It is archaic; it is no longer in use. You'll get weird looks or even be mocked.

Google searches can tell you if a word is archaic or not.
So many good reasons to be mocked. Here's one more! LOL

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
Word for today is:

neoist

This word is a noun that means one who favors or employs new ideas, styles, techniques, etc.
As an adjective it's favoring new ideas, styles, techniques, etc.

I'd like to think that I'm a neoist, but when I'm honest with myself, I'm pretty comfortable sticking with the old tried and true. I suppose the key is to know when to do each.
Also you can see "neo" often used as a prefix (e.g. neogenesis, neoconservative, neonatal).

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Yep! Neo is from the greek word neos meaning new or recent. Thanks for the input. Will be helpful in better interpreting other words using that root.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
This week focuses on some new words. Today's word is:

clickbait

The word is a noun, and means a sensationalized, often misleading, headline that is designed to entice users to click on a hyperlink.

Seems like that's all you see today on many news feeds. It's a negative in my opinion.

Interesting tidbit: the earliest documented use of this term was in 1999.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

omnishambles

The word is a known that means situation that is a complete mess, especially when resulting from mismanagement.
Kind of like the US withdrawal from Afghanistan! Synonym: clusterf*ck.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

listicle

The word is a noun and means an article or other piece of writing structured in the form of a list. Sounds like a word my kids would make up! LOL

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Years ago, when my daughter was about 6 or 7, she was in the car with me, and asked me, "dad, what's a dick ass?" I was a bit shocked, and asked her where she had heard that. She said, "the other day when we were at the stop light, the lady in front of us was looking at her phone, and when the light turned green she didn't go. And you yelled at her and called her a dick ass."

I then had to patiently tell her that the woman was not a dick ass, but instead was a dickhead. Was important for her to learn the proper terminology. You learn pretty quickly that your kids are always listening, so I needed to be more careful! LOL
Years ago when my son was maybe 3 or 4, he was in the car with my father in law. They were waiting in line to get gas and the pumps ahead of them were now empty, but the car in front of them had not pulled forward.

My FIL said he heard my son's little voice from the back seat speak up at that moment to say, "Move up, you fuckin fool!"

I'm certain my FIL was mistaken though. Where would my son have heard such language? Couldn't be.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic