What's New?

Whey vs. Casein Protein

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Whey vs. casein protein
by Jeff S. Volek, Ph.D., R.D.
Proteins provide the body critical amino acids that serve as building blocks for the formation of new muscle. But not all dietary proteins are equal. The major proteins in milk are casein and whey. These two milk proteins are both excellent sources of all the essential amino acids, but they differ in one important aspect—whey is a fast-digesting protein and casein is a slow-digesting protein.

Whey stimulates protein synthesis

Fast-digesting whey means it is emptied from the stomach quickly, resulting in a rapid and large increase in plasma amino acids. This translates into a quick but transient increase in protein synthesis, while protein breakdown is not affected. Whey also has higher levels of leucine, a potent amino acid that stimulates protein synthesis. Whey protein is superior at augmenting protein synthesis rapidly, but this positive effect is short-lived. Consuming repeated doses of whey allows for sustained high levels of blood amino acids and repeated bursts of protein synthesis that provide superior effects on muscle protein balance.[1]

Casein offers a positive protein balance
Casein is the most abundant protein in milk. It is relatively insoluble and tends to form structures called micelles that increase solubility in water. During the processing of milk, which usually involves heat or acid, the casein peptides and micelle structure become disturbed or denatured to form simpler structures. As a result, a gelatinous material is formed. This is the basis for why casein has a slower rate of digestion, and results in a slow but steady release of amino acids into circulation.

In one study, researchers gave healthy subjects 30 grams of either whey protein or casein protein and made several measures of the anabolic and catabolic effect for 7 hours after the meal.[2] Whey protein resulted in a rapid increase in blood amino acids and protein synthesis, but it was short-lived. Casein, on the other hand, resulted in a prolonged increase in blood amino acids that resulted in a 34% reduction in protein breakdown. The net protein balance remained more positive after intake of casein protein over a 7-hour period. The superior long-lasting effect of casein was attributed to a delayed gastric emptying and slower absorption rate from the gastrointestinal tract to the blood.

Whey and casein are better together
Since whey rapidly increases protein synthesis and casein blocks protein breakdown, a combination of both would be ideal.

A recent study compared the effects of supplementing with either a combination whey and casein protein versus carbohydrate on several markers of muscle anabolism during strength training.3 Untrained men participated in a 10-week resistance training program and either supplemented with 40 grams of carbohydrate or 40 grams of protein containing a mixture of whey and casein. Half of the supplements were consumed one hour before and then immediately after exercise on workout days. The results were overwhelmingly positive for the combination protein group. Despite similar background diets and identical training programs, supplementation with protein resulted in greater increases in several measures of muscle anabolism, including greater increases in lean muscle mass, thigh muscle mass, muscle strength, anabolic hormones and muscle specific proteins.

In a similar study that lasted 14 weeks, untrained men performed resistance training and received either 25 grams of carbohydrate or 25 grams of a combination whey and casein protein one hour before and immediately after exercise.[4] The combination protein group had significantly greater increases in muscle fiber size compared to the carbohydrate group. These studies provide strong evidence that a combination protein consumed before and after workouts increases muscle size.

Practical uses of whey and casein
The science unequivocally shows that the digesting rate of protein is an important regulator of protein balance. Whey provides a quick burst of protein synthesis while casein makes an ideal protein supplement to sustain long periods of an anabolic environment for muscle growth. Based on these different characteristics, whey and casein can be used alone and in combination to exploit their unique biologic effects.

For example, whey protein can be very effective before and after a workout and first thing in the morning. But since the benefits of whey after exercise are short-lived, you should consume a meal containing protein 20-60 minutes after drinking a post-workout whey protein shake. In one study, 30 grams of whey protein were provided in a sequence of 13 small meals given each 20 minutes.[1] This was found to be far superior for muscle anabolism compared to a single meal of whey or casein.

Alternatively, a combination of whey and casein (20 grams) could be consumed one hour before and immediately after exercise for a sustained benefit on protein balance. Casein is a perfect protein for a shake before bed because it promotes a sustained anti-catabolic environment while you sleep.

Summary
Because whey and casein have different but complementary effects, many people keep both types on hand and use them differently throughout the day—whey in the morning and after workouts and casein before bed. Or you can mix whey protein into a large glass of milk (about 80% casein) to combine the benefits of both. Research shows these proteins support greater increases in lean body mass and decreases in body fat as part of a resistance training program.

References
1. Dangin M, Boirie Y, Garcia-Rodenas C, Gachon P, Fauquant J, Callier P, Ballevre O, Beaufrere B. The digestion rate of protein is an independent regulating factor of postprandial protein retention. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Feb, 280(2):E340-8.
2. Boirie Y, Dangin M, Gachon P, Vasson MP, Maubois JL, Beaufrere B. Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1997, 94(26):14930-5.
3. Willoughby DS, Stout JR, Wilborn CD. Effects of resistance training and protein plus amino acid supplementation on muscle anabolism, mass, and strength. Amino Acids. 2006 Sep 20.
4. Andersen LL, Tufekovic G, Zebis MK, Crameri RM, Verlaan G, Kjaer M, Suetta C, Magnusson P, Aagaard P. The effect of resistance training combined with timed ingestion of protein on muscle fiber size and muscle strength. Metabolism. 2005 Feb, 54(2):151-6.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I think of whey as the fast acting protein to get into my system soon after a workout, and cassein as the slower acting protein that may be a better fit in the evening as a last meal. Don't know if others view it as such. Plus whey makes me fart. Correction: whey makes me fart more than cassein, since everything seems to make me fart.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I used to us casein but I just don't bother anymore. I'll have cottage cheese before bed often and I leave it as that. I only use pure isolate. I stay away from " timmed release" proteins with multiple sources because if your eating on a good scheduled there is really now need.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
If whey and casein are the two milk proteins... and they are better taken together... And some sugar is good for an insulin boost... Then why not drink some lowfat milk?

M

mick

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2012
Exactly my thoughts Big Paul. But milk has got to be Whole or it aint in my fridge.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
If whey and casein are the two milk proteins... and they are better taken together... And some sugar is good for an insulin boost... Then why not drink some lowfat milk?

A glass of milk has about 9 grams of protein in it, whereas a glass of water mixed with the whey protein I use has about 52 grams of protein. So to get the same total grams of protein you would have to drink about 5-6 glasses of milk, which is really uncomfortable for some people.

A good idea, however, is to mix your whey protein into milk, since casein is the more abundant protein in milk.

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
A glass of milk has about 9 grams of protein in it, whereas a glass of water mixed with the whey protein I use has about 52 grams of protein. So to get the same total grams of protein you would have to drink about 5-6 glasses of milk, which is really uncomfortable for some people.

A good idea, however, is to mix your whey protein into milk, since casein is the more abundant protein in milk.

Yes and all that milk would be way to much sugar!!!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Haven't used whey for years, wouldn't touch casein if that's the only protein that was available (read up on 'The China Study' by Dr. Campbell) and I haven't drank milk for many years.

I'm 36 this year and eliminating those three has markedly improved my health in many areas.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Food all the way along with training and steroids.the thing is how do you really know what's in the powder is actually true to what there advertising.i have used both and I prefer whey whpi isolate when I miss a meal.with solid food you know what your putting in your body

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Haven't used whey for years, wouldn't touch casein if that's the only protein that was available (read up on 'The China Study' by Dr. Campbell) and I haven't drank milk for many years.

I'm 36 this year and eliminating those three has markedly improved my health in many areas.

SERIOUSLY??
Well I have to look at the china study, but I cannot imagine your health improving so vastly, care to expand on that for me?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic