Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

What we eat and how we feel.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
the past few weeks i have been pondering about what i eat and how it makes me feel. for those of you who have competed and done strict dieting or who are into nutrion, im sure what i have to say is something you already know. but for those of us who just do this to do it sometimes we dont realize what a difference the things we eat have to do with how we feel.

last weekend i made cookies with the monchers. fully loaded, nothing healthy about them and i figured that i would use them to fuel my 350# deadlift attempt. all week long i snacked on cookies throughout the day. i kept telling myself it was ok, i needed the energy. well, not only did it not give me enough energy to make the pull, i also felt exhausted and had no energy by the end of the week! so this week i decided to get back on the better nutrition plan. monday i did good and ate a good balance of protien and complex carbs but tuesday we were very busy at the clinic and so i stopped by little ceasars and picked up a couple of cheese pizza on my way to get zac. i ate pizza for lunch and again mid afternoon. now the macros arent horrible for a slice but it is still a heck of a lot of simple carbs in comparison to the protein. i woke up wednesday feeling tired and i had no energy. AHHHHHHH i see a trend here! so my common sense driven mind is now finally getting it figured out! it makes me think of my mom who is always complaining about being tired even though she stays at home and isnt real active. her diet is mostly simple type carbs, bread and crackers and a few sweets but rarely does she eat protien or complex carbs. her body can never catch up nutritionally!

totally aside for the muscle and strength aspect of nutrition, eating a diet that is balanced with complex carbs and protien with some fat thrown in makes one feel less tired! the simple carbs are going to cause insulin spikes and that is going to drop the sugar drastically which then makes you want more and it all becomes this cycle, up and down. it is no wonder i feel exhausted and worn out at the end of the week when i am eating like that because i am not providing my body with the nutrients to repair itself!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I do not run better on junk. I feel more sluggish when I eat too much crap and generally dont perform well either. I also have to drink alot more too when I up my calories before a heavy day .

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
I do not run better on junk. I feel more sluggish when I eat too much crap and generally dont perform well either. I also have to drink alot more too when I up my calories before a heavy day .

it is easy to get caught up in the quick sugar rush and thinking that it is actually doing something for you. i had never really consciously thought about what i ate the day before and how it made me feel the next day. everybody talks about cheat meals and cheat days which are great if they contain enough protein and complex carbs. my problem is when i cheat, i cheat on simple carbs and so instead of being stronger and having more energy, i am exhausted and feel like crap. i just cant believe it took me this long to figure it out :eek:

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Its funny my husband and I had this very conversation. We both believe there is a direct correlation between food and how you function and feel. There is a book out called "Eat for your blood type" or something close to that. It is fairly accurate as far as what we can tell. For example if my husband eats pork or milk he has a bad reaction and it bothers him for days. He now uses rice protein and has 0 problems.

Again, this is what WE found is fairly accurate, doesnt mean it is true or applies to all.

Example:

If you're blood type O ("for old," as in humanity's oldest blood line) your digestive tract retains the memory of ancient times, says D'Adamo, so you're metabolism will benefit from lean meats, poultry, and fish. You're advised to restrict grains, breads, and legumes, and to enjoy vigorous exercise.

Type A ("for agrarian") flourishes on vegetarian diets, "the inheritance of their more settled and less warlike farmer ancestors," says D'Adamo. The type A diet contains soy proteins, grains, and organic vegetables and encourages gentle exercise.

The nomadic blood type B has a tolerant digestive system and can enjoy low-fat dairy, meat, and produce but, among other things, should avoid wheat, corn, and lentils, D'Adamo says. If you're type B, it's recommended you exercise moderately.

The "modern" blood type AB has a sensitive digestive tract and should avoid chicken, beef, and pork but enjoy seafood, tofu, dairy, and most produce. The fitness regimen for ABs is calming exercises.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
I ate a TON of sushi yesterday and I wanted to take a nap. lol

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Its funny my husband and I had this very conversation. We both believe there is a direct correlation between food and how you function and feel. There is a book out called "Eat for your blood type" or something close to that. It is fairly accurate as far as what we can tell. For example if my husband eats pork or milk he has a bad reaction and it bothers him for days. He now uses rice protein and has 0 problems.

Again, this is what WE found is fairly accurate, doesnt mean it is true or applies to all.

Example:

If you're blood type O ("for old," as in humanity's oldest blood line) your digestive tract retains the memory of ancient times, says D'Adamo, so you're metabolism will benefit from lean meats, poultry, and fish. You're advised to restrict grains, breads, and legumes, and to enjoy vigorous exercise.

Type A ("for agrarian") flourishes on vegetarian diets, "the inheritance of their more settled and less warlike farmer ancestors," says D'Adamo. The type A diet contains soy proteins, grains, and organic vegetables and encourages gentle exercise.

The nomadic blood type B has a tolerant digestive system and can enjoy low-fat dairy, meat, and produce but, among other things, should avoid wheat, corn, and lentils, D'Adamo says. If you're type B, it's recommended you exercise moderately.

The "modern" blood type AB has a sensitive digestive tract and should avoid chicken, beef, and pork but enjoy seafood, tofu, dairy, and most produce. The fitness regimen for ABs is calming exercises.

i have read about the blood type diet. not sure i agree with all of their principles and such but the basics behind it make sense. i had a friend who did it for about a year. she said that she felt better to a certain extent but didnt feel that it made a big enough difference to be worth all the trouble.

personally i think a good basic clean diet is best and makes me feel the best. no extremes one way or the other. 40/40/20

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
I feel sluggish and water retentive when I eat wheat/whole grains...eliminate them as much as possible. After reading Wheat Belly by cardiologist Wm Davis I get angry at the way whole grains are hyped to the unsuspecting public. It's not your grandmother's wheat. Not even your mama's wheat due to genetically altering grains for the almighty dollar (agribusiness). Wheat may actually surpass sugar as Enemy#1 in the fight against obesity. I highly recommend the book.
Amazon.com: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (9781609611545): William Davis: Books

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011

Example:

Please don't buy into that book's bullshit. The claims about the evils of lectin in some people for example are so wild it would be a wide spread cause of death if the claims were true. No actual evidence has ever backed this guys claims. correlation does not imply causation. Since I don't want to write what's already been written by others with medical degrees which I lack, his timing of blood types in evolution is way off (which throws the whole theory off), his book lacks scientific backing and in practice as a whole more people claim it has not been true in practice for them. Those who do claim its accuracy seem to as I said mistake correlation for causation.

I feel sluggish and water retentive when I eat wheat/whole grains...eliminate them as much as possible. After reading Wheat Belly by cardiologist Wm Davis I get angry at the way whole grains are hyped to the unsuspecting public. It's not your grandmother's wheat. Not even your mama's wheat due to genetically altering grains for the almighty dollar (agribusiness). Wheat may actually surpass sugar as Enemy#1 in the fight against obesity. I highly recommend the book.
Amazon.com: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (9781609611545): William Davis: Books

I'd say corn is a bigger issue than wheat as it is in almost everything but the bigger issue is that western culture is so rich and abundant with food that people are lazy. The issue is less the wheat and more that people have convince at their fingertips. When I was a kid we played outside, now kids play video games and watch TV, for us fast food was a rare treat and now it's commonplace. If you look at the data from culture to culture it's pretty clear that the more well off a culture is the lazier they get and the more unhealthy food choices they make as a whole. Some people do have an intolerance to grains though and just like a dairy intolerance in that case they should be avoided.

Last edited:
Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011

Example:

I'm a real freak B- when I lived in Japan, I recall the Japanese actually think relationships should be based on blood type. I know that the foods I eat have a huge impact on how I feel. I'll start to see about avoiding wheat, corn and lentils. I don't eat lentils very often but I have enjoyed them. I'll see if I can find more and read up. Thanks for the post MW!

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I read that book w/ interest about 5 yrs ago - at a macro level it seems to apply, but stuff seems to start to fall apart when you dig in to the specifics. Its possible parts of it apply, but at the large generalization of blood type its got limitations.

I also think the stuff that people come up w/ about this & that type of food is evil --- eh... I agree that if you base your decisions based on the marketing stuff we get from the food industry, you're definitely missing some important details. I dunno - I eat about 90% all basic food - nothing processed, but I don't bother w/ organic. After certain experiences I've had on ultra-restrictive diets when I got sick from deviating to something I haven't eaten in a while, I'm a big proponent of occasionally throwing some shit down the pie hole to keep my digestive & immune systems on the lookout. Keep it simple, keep it clean. Be aware of any food allergies you have like wheat / gluten.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic