Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

What to do when you catch a bug?

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Hey gals, putting this here because it pertains to training and diet....

Woke up yesterday with swollen glad/lymph node in left throat, hurt all day, particularly when swallowing... but I tried to write it off as no big deal, then got to gym and Wednesday is a kickboxing esque class I do, its very high intensity , and impact.. I made it through but struggling more than normal, was dead to the world from there...
And woke up feeling like I have been thoroughly run over by a truck.... I am still going to work, but I can only think of soft, light, and simple carb foods that I can even fathom stomaching right now....

Doesn't help that when I catch a bug I am starving, very literraly insatiably starving, AND I'm in the mid of pms....

So question, do I still train until I'm running a fever, or puking(both rare for me)?

Do I try and keep cals down but don't worry about what it is (eggs, chicken soup, sorbet, tea, oatmeal)??

Or do I just stick to the plan and eat a normal low carb, all from complex sources and vegetables?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
definitely no training. the body needs a chance to gear up to fight off what is attacking your system. so when you are further running your body down by training then it is only giving part of its efforts to fighting the bug and part to clearing up the damage that you do to your muscles. so neither is very successful.

as far as eating, eat clean but it probably wouldnt hurt to throw in some extra calories so the body has enough nutrients to properly fight!

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Sleep, hydrate, eat. If your appetite is lacking, eat something small every 2-3day hrs.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I with ya on the hunger DC. Maybe hot drinks like sugarfree cocoa to help with the sweet tooth.I know it isnt the same though.Hot drinks are supposed to help kill off a bug too.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Well I hit the grocerystore and I got chicken noodle, and tomato soup, some mini saltines as my tummy was particularly rumbly then though I don't think ill need them...

Some yogurt,
Blueberries(trying for antioxidants here lol)
Yellow squash I can cook down
Eggs to scramble,
Fresh avocado
Some sorbet/frozen yogurt
And finally some diet 7up
Cepacol and ib profen....

I do have some chicken with salsa as well, but not sure how well that is going to workout though I'm hoping to hit a feel better peak somewhere between the got out of bed, been run over by a semi feeling, and the afternoon/evening worst possible symptom attack...

Thanks y'all, hopefully this is short lived and I can turn my unbalanced day back into nicely split ones.

I'm

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i hope you get better soon! i hate being sick. when the monchers first started going to school it seemed like we were all constantly sick! being around babies is bad for ones health :D

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Hope you can kill that bitch quickly! Definitely don't train - for one, you're sharing your germs w/ the rest of the gym and for t'a other, your body is already working its ass off in full defense mode against the germs. At the end of the day all you do is exhaust yourself. Better to recover. I can't tell how much RECOVERY, in any sense of the term (from a heavy leg day, good quality sleep, or time off when you're sick) plays in your overall "progress".

I'm beyond annoyed - every year since I moved to California in 2007, I've picked up this gawdawful bug that isn't really a bad cold or flu, but is a perpetual scratchy throat & low-grade fever. Speaking of good quality sleep - the hacking cough usually starts around 4 am and continues until 9-10 am and then settles down during the day, and repeats the next morning. I get up for work feeling like I got hit by a bus and completely exhausted from coughing so hard.

Every year I end up trying every OTC medication under the sun for 6 weeks and eventually end up seeing my doc for antibiotics. So this year I got the flu shot (first time in 23 yrs) in October. I made it all the way thru the holidays, including to cross-country flights w/o any issue. The first day I walk into the office after New Year's, its like walking into a petri dish. Sure enough, here comes the scratchy throat. That was last Monday-Tuesday. Now I"m going on 4 days of the 4 am hack. I just called my doc and I'm waiting to hear if he will just write me the script and I can get it overwith.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Sassy hope you feel better! I had a doc spot that left me waiting in the public petrify dish for 30 minutes, sure enough next day I have sore throat! And then it got worsr. I'm drinking hot tea like crazy and gay did I find the hunger, ready to be done, stress from work today is not helping!

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I am lucky I get pretty sick once for every 7-8 bugs that go around in the people I'm regularly with.... sometimes I feel just a bit more tired like I'm fighting something but never actually sick

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
Hope you guys shake it quick, sucks to be sick. I rarely actually get sick, but had some god awful stomach bug last Sunday..but it only lasted half the day (thank goodness) and then all was well. I was going to blame a virus, but had an undercooked bison burger the night before (thanks Bistro Market LOL)...so it was probably that.

I totally agree...no training when sick, and even for a few days after you feel better just to allow your body to stabilize before you start throwing anything too strenuous at it....better to miss training a couple extra days than to go back too fast and end up with a relapse or a new bug because your system was compromised.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic