Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

What Do You Know About DHT?

TexSon

TexSon

MuscleHead
Feb 15, 2013
Probably nothing, and for good reason. In terms of bodybuilding, it is a fairly useless compound. Still, in its own right, it is a powerful anabolic/androgen that plays a major role in your everyday life. It is also an interesting hormone and one worth reading about, escpecially if you are prone to using DHT blockers.

I know all about DHT because I am a dumb ass. I got my hands on some in my early bb days and used it not knowing better. After the immediate hair loss i experienced, I decided to research this hormone. The following information stems from those efforts.

Dihydrotestosterone

Except for matters concerning hair loss, you really don’t hear much about DHT. Especially in the bodybuilding world. And for good reason. As an AAS, DHT just doesn’t get the job done. No fault of it’s own, though. As and AAS, it is much more anabolic and androgenic that testosterone, but this fact is neither here nor there, for reasons I will explain in a minute.

I say that DHT is more anabolic than testosterone because it has a 3-5 times greater affinity for binding to the androgen receptors than regular test. The problem is, is that very little DHT ever reaches muscle tissue and what little bit that does manage to find its way there is quickly deactivated by the 3a-HSD enzyme.

DHT is product of testosterone, which serves as a prohormone in this case. Approx. 5% of your testosterone is converted into DHT via the 5alpha reductase enzyme (5-AR). The 5-AR enzyme is found in heavy concentrations over the entire span of the body EXCEPT skeletal muscle, which is why DHT is a poor AAS for bodybuilding. And, the fact is, outside of muscle tissue, testosterone has very little effect on the rest of the body. Whereas testosterone is limited mainly to muscle and tissue, DHT is distributed to everything else – skin, brain, genitals, skeleton – in fact, the majority or the body, which makes DHT is the primary androgenic signal.

Effects of DHT

The two most commonly know side effects of DHT is hair loss and prostate enlargement. For whatever reason, DHT had the tendency to collect in the hair follicles, causing the disfunction to hair growth. And this is the reason steroids accelerate hair loss in those individuals prone to the condition. It only stands to reason that the more testosterone you have circulating, the more DHT that will be produced. The more DHT produced, the greater the probability of suffering hair loss.

DHT also serves as the primary factor in genital development during the embryonic stage. Having a 5-AR deficiency from birth will actually inhibit the development of the male genitalia, in which case, the baby is raised as a female. Also, a complete absence of DHT inhibits the development of both body and pubic hair, which effectively amplifies the femininity perspective.

There are actually regions in the world, most notably the Dominican Republic, that for some unknown reason, produce an unusually large number of children with 5-AR deficiencies. The reasons for this condition, other than heredity, are still a mystery to science and the societies resulting from the malady harbor a large number of females who are biological males.

DHT Blockers

DHT blockers such as Proscar work to inhibit the 5-AR enzyme needed to convert testosterone into DHT. If you are into bodybuilding, this should be highly discouraged for a couple of reasons. First being DHT’s significance as the dominant male androgen in your body. Decreasing the DHT volume would adversely effect the anabolic process produced by testosterone. Secondly, DHT plays a significant role in the management of estrogen production and control in the male body. Reducing DHT levels would cause an increase in estrogen levels thus increasing the risk of contracting gyno.

Last edited:
M

morrey

Jul 17, 2012
thanks for the info. Didnt know T wasnt converted to DHT in skeletal muscle.

Bionixx

Bionixx

MuscleHead
Dec 6, 2011
So theoretically Finasteride could be used as a PCT, thus reducing the androgenic signal to the hypothalamus.

TexSon

TexSon

MuscleHead
Feb 15, 2013
So theoretically Finasteride could be used as a PCT, thus reducing the androgenic signal to the hypothalamus.

No, not really.

I never go off cycle so I never do pct. So, by my own admission, I am by no means an authority on the matter. still, I have a somewhat rudimentary understanding of the whole process, and it has everything to do with the hpt negative feedback loop.

The hpt negative feedback loop is what's responsible for the natural production of testosterone by the testicles, but the fact is, the loop is influenced by testosterone as well as estradiol and DHT. but for the purposes of pct, I believe that testosterone, not DHT or estradiol, is the primary catalyst.

If I understand the whole process correctly, this is how the hpt negative feedback loop works:

1. testosterone, DHT, and estradiol provide negative feedback to the hypothalamus.

2, the hypothalamus, in turn, produces GnRH in pulses that are sent to the pituitary gland (anterior).

3. the pituitary gland responds to the pulses by producing LH and FSH.

4. LH (and to a lesser degree, FSH) attaches to the receptors in leydig cells in the testicles. This attachment is the stimulus that causes the testicles to either increase or decrease production of testosterone.

5. during cycles, the excessive levels of testosterone over time causes the hypothalamus to reduce the GnRH pulses. How it reduces them, I am not sure - either by frequency (normally, the pulses occur every 60-120 minutes), amplitude or duration, or maybe all three.

6. The reduction of GnRH pulses in turn reduces LH and FSH production, which in turn, reduces testosterone production and secretion.

(An interesting side note here is that constant, rather than pulsating, GnRH will cause the suppression of LH and FSH release as well, which in turn suppresses testosterone production. So either a reduction, OR, constant GnRh pulses have the same effect - hypogonadism.)

So really, the whole idea of pct is to restore the production of LH back to its normal state, and to this end, there are a variety of methods for doing this. but inhibiting DHT production is not really one of them, at least that I am aware of because, as I stated above, I believe that testosterone is the primary androgenic stimulus to the hypothalamus, not DHT.

Last edited:
Birdman

Birdman

Jan 3, 2013
Note on Masteron:

Since Masteron is already a DHT derivative, Avodart and Propecia won't do anything to prevent hairloss while using this compound. These DHT "inhibitors" attempt to block the coversion of T to DHT ...but since Masteron is already DHT .....BoInG! Your hair falls out anyway!

There are some who argue that compounds like Tren, Deca and NPP will actually make Avodart and Propecia work against you and cause these meds to make even MORE hair fall out ...but I have never seen a good argument for this theory.

I DO believe that DHT is specially-designed "Man Serum" and blocking it all the time isn't really a good idea for men ....but I love my pretty, pretty hair...so I don't care!

-Birdman

TexSon

TexSon

MuscleHead
Feb 15, 2013
Note on Masteron:

Since Masteron is already a DHT derivative, Avodart and Propecia won't do anything to prevent hairloss while using this compound. These DHT "inhibitors" attempt to block the coversion of T to DHT ...but since Masteron is already DHT .....BoInG! Your hair falls out anyway!

There are some who argue that compounds like Tren, Deca and NPP will actually make Avodart and Propecia work against you and cause these meds to make even MORE hair fall out ...but I have never seen a good argument for this theory.

I DO believe that DHT is specially-designed "Man Serum" and blocking it all the time isn't really a good idea for men ....but I love my pretty, pretty hair...so I don't care!

-Birdman

your right. the blockers affect the 5-AR enzyme which causes the conversion. doesn't affect the receptors at all.

didn't know mast was a derivative of DHT.

thanks for the info.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic