BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I perform speed work for all 3 lifts.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Same here. Not as much for squats as I used to as it really beat up my hips.

Placebro

Placebro

Nov 3, 2014
I prefer to use Lillys Cube method as I believe its main audience is the Raw Lifter, in this sense he switches out the speed day for a rep day

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I definitely do speed days for upper and lower.

Westside does reps on both their speed days and their max effort days...... mostly on auxiliary movements.

The big part that doesn't get conveyed in the templates and articles is how intense the speed days should be. Every time I go out to Westside or the Sweatt Shop the speed days are more brutal than the ME days..... they push a really fast pace for everything and push through a LOT of accessory work. Every speed lower day I've done at either gym has resulted in me laying on the floor trying to get my lower back to unclench so I can breathe. They just outwork everyone.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I definitely do speed days for upper and lower.

Westside does reps on both their speed days and their max effort days...... mostly on auxiliary movements.

The big part that doesn't get conveyed in the templates and articles is how intense the speed days should be. Every time I go out to Westside or the Sweatt Shop the speed days are more brutal than the ME days..... they push a really fast pace for everything and push through a LOT of accessory work. Every speed lower day I've done at either gym has resulted in me laying on the floor trying to get my lower back to unclench so I can breathe. They just outwork everyone.

Man I would love to visit both of those gyms. The knowledge between the two is so impressive.

I haven't done speed work in a while for bench. I'm thinking it might be a good time to add it in on OHP days. Maybe in a cycle or two I will try to, and see how it does.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Man I would love to visit both of those gyms. The knowledge between the two is so impressive.

I haven't done speed work in a while for bench. I'm thinking it might be a good time to add it in on OHP days. Maybe in a cycle or two I will try to, and see how it does.

The big thing to remember is to go light and actually try to move the weight fast...... a lot of guys get caught up trying to move too much weight and it slows down.

Funny you mention OHP..... When I tore my pec I talked to Donnie Thompson a lot about how to rehab and get back to training. Per his advice, my bench days became OHP days. My speed bench day was literally a speed OHP day for 5 weeks until I could bench the bar again.

As a moderately related subject - everyone needs to look up Donnie's YouTube channel and actually watch all of his videos. It will make a dramatic change in your training. I seriously love the X-Wives that me and my teammates got per his advice.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yea i like his videos. His "Batman" video is what kept me from having surgery for so long.

I would like to have one of those ex wives too.

I would also love to visit his gym and get a rehab routine for my low back, shoulders and knees to help stay healthy. And also my trap. I think I have a nerve issue in upper right part of my back/trap.

Rolling it helps. I sit on the bench and put pressure against the bar. Maybe I need like a tennis ball.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Porky, what do you think about his cannon ball db. I believe Sorienx is making them for him.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Turbo - I broke my neck a decade ago and get all sorts of fun nerve bullshittery from it ( including it turning off my left arm for 6 months in 2012) ..... Donnie, as well as a good friend who is an ortho suggested using a shotput ( or bocce ball) .... tennis balls are too small and soft. Lacrosse balls work well for my 130lb wife, but even she needs to use a bocce or softball to get her traps, lats, and spinal erectors. If you can make it to any of his seminars GO! He's coming to Long Island soon and will be in Chicago in May..... look him up and ask if he's coming to your area. The $50 or so for the seminar will pay off several times.

BI - I used his prototype when I was down there last summer .... I can normally pound out sets of laterals, rear delt flies, and front raises with 50+ lb dumbbells.... the 35lb cannon balls almost killed me.... I don't understand why they are so nasty ( I was too busy asking about the X-Wife to ask about them) ...... they were definitely fun to play with. Honestly, though, for the money I'd start with buying a fat pad and bolting it to a bench in your gym. That thing is doing wonders for my shoulders.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
.....BI - I used his prototype when I was down there last summer .... I can normally pound out sets of laterals, rear delt flies, and front raises with 50+ lb dumbbells.... the 35lb cannon balls almost killed me.... I don't understand why they are so nasty ( I was too busy asking about the X-Wife to ask about them) ...... they were definitely fun to play with. Honestly, though, for the money I'd start with buying a fat pad and bolting it to a bench in your gym. That thing is doing wonders for my shoulders.

I don't have to worry about the pad anymore. The gym owner went out and bought a comp bench for us and also made us a "power" room so we're set. I also just found out today my training partner is going to pick up a okie dl bar. I have a texas squat bar in there and a texas power bar we use for benching so we're g2g. The only thing left to do is pool some money and pick up a used mono.

I'll have to take the drive and check our Donnie's new gym b/c I'd love to pick his brain about shoulders... most here know my shoulder is bad and that's held my benching back. Perhaps he can help me with that.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic