Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Water Obsession - Do you really need so much water?

• Thread starter Steve Armstrong
  • Start Date
S

Steve Armstrong

Sep 16, 2010
I've always been a bit suspicious of the convention that you need to drink 8, 8oz glasses of water per day.

Unless it's a very hot day in which you've done a lot of physical activity, and sweated a lot, it's very hard to drink so much. You seem to have to force it down and it feels nasty.

Your body is pretty good at warning you of its needs and problems. We have all experienced thirst; our bodies tell us when we're dehydrated. We have all experienced hunger; our bodies tell us when we need nutrients. We have all experienced pain when our bodies are injured.

I'm not trying to downplay the importance of staying hydrated. I know it's very important for bodily function. But I don't think we need to be forcing down over a gallon of water a day. It seems ridiculous to me. Animals are doing fine with a few slurps a day. Should we probably have a little more water than we feel we need? Yes. but maybe 1-3 extra glasses a day above what we drink when thirsty. This idea of drowning yourself....over a gallon of water a day, on top of all the water in our food and other beverages...it seems crazy!

I found this article that supports my belief:

How Much Water Do You Really Need? | The Dr. Oz Show

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Lol at Dr Oz being evidence...
Sorry not trying to be a turd, but your body is also very good at homeostasis. So if you don't consume much water normally, your body adapts to having less and finds normal in that situation. If you drink a lot, your body will find normal for that situation. Is either optimal? Well that's for you to discover for yourself. But in no instance is Dr Oz evidence. Try pubmed.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ok Dr Oz isn't evidence or support of something... but look at your last sentance. "I found this article that supports my belief."

Look at the literature and then form your opinion. Not the other way around.

I will say when I get in a full gallon I feel much better. I hate being dehydrated.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I didn't click the link because I would imagine it's about regular people.

We are not regular people that do regular things.

Do you train naturally?

The majority of us here don't.

Even if you do, how much water do you think you sweat out per training session?

For us non natural trainees, keeping ourselves drinking higher amounts of water keeps the toxins coming in, going out.

Just a few things to consider.

H

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
In a situation like this I always pause and ask myself;
What would F.I.S.T. say?

anyway, I like water and don't have a problem "forcing it down."

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I have been drinking 1 gallon of water a day for a few years and definitely notice when I don't get as much water. lately I have increased the intensity of my workouts and diet, and have been getting cramps during workouts. My coach said I need to increase my water intake (I assume) because cramps are a sign that my body is using salts to eliminate waste, and if I consume more water it will take less salt for my kidneys to eliminate waste, thus easing the burden on them.

So the past couple weeks I have been drinking 1.5 to 2 gallons per day and I am still finding I get thirsty sometimes! LOL. Kinda crazy, but definitely working for me because my cramps have subsided.

Last edited:

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Who needs water, I find PBR tall boys hydrate me pretty well! Haha, wtf

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Sorry, but the Dr. Oz thing is for fat middle aged ladies that sit in front of the TV all day he is a scammer just like DR Phil.................ha!

Drink at least a gallon per day and you will be much better off I assure you although I don't have a TV show.
It helps overall health, blood, kidneys, skin etc.
good luck in your endeavors

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Half a gallon wouldn't be near enough. I drink 2 gallons ED to perform optimally.

Last edited:
tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I don't drink more than a gallon of water most likely, but I think that carrying around a gallon jug of water in the gym makes me look hardcore. At least it balances out the look of my fanny pak and my MC hammer sweats....

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Ha, ha, I like adding MOI to my water. I used to drink water without it and was fine until I tried it.

I don't drink it at the gym though cuz I don't want to look like a pu$$y :D

H

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would wager that a lot of injuries happen b/c the individual is dehydrated.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic