jacobss
What's New?

Variability in diet

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi guys.
Been watching for a lil bit but I can't find an answer to something I've been thinking about for while, so hope ya'll can help.
If you are doing a IIFYM protocol, and say you are aiming at a generic 40/40/20 split and you're tracking using one of those nice handy apps, how close is good enough for you? Would you think you had a good week if it averaged to 42/35/23? Obviously calories is gonna make or break it, but getting exact is nigh-on impossible, so how far different is ok?
Cheers

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I don't do IIFYM, but I am dieting Ketogenic. It is more important to meet your Kcalories, than it is to get the macros right on a traditional diet. Even on a ketogenic diet, so long as you keep to the caloric defecit, you will ultimately be fine, even if you get too many carbs (it might affect the ketosis, but you'll still be in a defecit).

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I don't do IIFYM, but I am dieting Ketogenic. It is more important to meet your Kcalories, than it is to get the macros right on a traditional diet. Even on a ketogenic diet, so long as you keep to the caloric defecit, you will ultimately be fine, even if you get too many carbs (it might affect the ketosis, but you'll still be in a defecit).

Pretty much agree with this. You're naturally going to be off by a bit on your macros every day if you arne't eating the exact same thing every day. What counts is, how far off your total cals are. I will fluctuate about 100-150, give or take, on average on any given day. Some days I nail it, but that's by luck. In the end, I am still in a deficit, which will still continue giving me the desired results.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Cool. I don't go over on calories unless it's a planned refeed or carb loading pre contest. So what you guys are saying is that calories are the main thing and the macro break-down is quite secondary?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Cool. I don't go over on calories unless it's a planned refeed or carb loading pre contest. So what you guys are saying is that calories are the main thing and the macro break-down is quite secondary?

Yes, that is 100% true. It is more important on a traditional diet to get Kcals right than perfect macros.

On Keto, it is important to keep carbs low, but if you go over on carbs but don't go over on Kcals you will still be losing weight, though you may come out of ketosis and are likely to feel like crap for a day or two.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Thank you. This is good to know as my partner is trying a keto diet for the first time and I wasn't 100% on how specific the carb part of that needed to be. And it stops me being a macro nazi just generally. ;-)

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Remember, carbs are muscle sparing as well as fats. It's argued that carbs are even more muscle sparing than fats too. I Personally don't care for keto simply because, well, honestly, I realized you can get just as ripped with carbs in your diet without the shitty feeling you get going in and out of ketosis. I am not putting down WW or anyone that uses keto, but to me, it's not worth the headaches...literally.

A

Abram

Apr 1, 2014
That's a good highlight mate basically these things are necessary for us to make a bother especially when it comes to diet we gotta learn that how i should be done it should have all those elements that can help the person in achieving their goal,This is how it should be and i guess your getting the right answers.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic