Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Var and birth control

jhc005

jhc005

Muscle Princess
Sep 14, 2013
Ok, so I have a question for you ladies. I have ran several cycles before. When on BC and running a cycle I will go months without a Mother Nature and then out of the blue she shows up. So idk if it is even working. I have asked my doctor. They have no idea. Will the hormones from the var effect the BC? I have noticed while off the BC I seem to get way better results. And when running a cycle when taking BC i never really lean out as good.

Bigherm21

Bigherm21

Apr 12, 2012
I mean I'm not a lady and don't know how it effects a females body, but does't bc regulate estrogen? That might be why you do not get is lean.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
The female estrogen cycle is very sensitive to the environment it operates in - i.e. the female body. The body will regulate such that it is only operating while there is a perceived "safe" environment for conception. So examples of when it may disappear are when bodyfat is very low, like during a contest prep (for me, typically around 11% bodyfat), too low for "safe" carrying of a fetus, or when there's a lot of stress (also had mine disappear for the first semester I moved away for college - very high stress). Similarly, the presence of hormone manipulators like AAS. So not knowing if you were dieting down during your cycles, it would either be from low bodyfat or presence of the AAS.

Also use of birth control regulates, and sometimes "promotes" estrogen (but in a controlled manner) - depending on your BC, it promotes estrogen effects such as water retention and estrogen-pattern fat depositing. So the combination of a cycle + BC is like two opposing forces trying to operate at the same time - they don't directly interact, but rather while the AAS is promoting lean bodymass (and depending on the substance, possibly also dryness like winstrol does - has an anti-estrogen effect to it) while the BC is promoting those estrogen things like water retention & bodyfat - so the end result is not as great leaning out of body mass etc.

This is why many competitors opt for an IUD as a non-hormonal method of birth control. (Technically Mirena has a slow-release progesterone in it, but otherwise is non-hormonal).

jhc005

jhc005

Muscle Princess
Sep 14, 2013
Thank you!!!!! Yes, I defiantly have seen a lot more water retention & my bf has went up. I keep my diet pretty clean. I was off of the bc for about two years. But, with recent stress I have backed off on training & I stopped meal prep. I am now getting back to normal w/ trading & diet so planning on getting back to being lean. I have tried the non-hormonal IUD but I had a bad allergic reaction to it.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
i think Sassy nailed it... if you are dieting, stressed and "ON" this could be the main cause. IMO you should go with the non hormonal IUD...

jhc005

jhc005

Muscle Princess
Sep 14, 2013
Yes, I agree. Very thankful for the help

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Yes, I agree. Very thankful for the help

Speak w/ your OB/GYN about this - generally they recommend the Mirena because of the bleeding related to the std IUD - the little bit of progesterone helps manage that and it's very slow release / low dose.

Interesting comment I got from Charles Poliquin trained naturopath is that that little bit of progesterone in my Mirena may also be helping manage any peri-menopause-related hormonal wackiness. No complaints there :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic