Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Unusual and Delicious Foods You Have Tried

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I have been lucky to try a lot of foods most people won't ever have the opportunity to try, simply because they were prepared differently than the normal way we eat them, were from a plant or source that is not commonly available, or were simply so fresh you could never compare them to what you buy at a store or anywhere else.

Here are a few of my more memorable ones.

1. Back in the early 1980's my grandmother made Concord Grape Compote from her own Concord Grapes, that she ground (seeds and all) in a food mill, then after cooking butter, sugar and cinnamon together, mixed in the grapes and chopped walnuts. She spread it on a yeast bread that she had flattened, then rolled it into a loaf and baked it. This was probably one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted. Synergy refers to when the result of things together is greater than the sum of the parts, meaning there is somehow a multiplier effect. That was true here, as the end result was more delicious than you would imagine, considering the separate ingredients.

2. Around the same time, I experimented with a hand grain mill and ground some flint corn (we called it cow corn because we fed it to our milk cows). I made a rough corn flour which I used to make a porridge by boiling it in milk with salt to taste, then put butter and maple syrup on it. Spectacular. Most of you are thinking "yawn, corn flour" but this was as similar to corn flour you buy in the store as a candy bar is to unsweetened chocolate. There was no comparison.

3. Again, around the same time, I took some of our home raised beef hamburg, and made hamburger pattys that I cooked on an open wood fire. We made a fire pit with a grate over it and cooked on the grate. These hamburgers were juicy, had a nice mild smoke taste, and were the best burgers I have ever had, even to this day, even compared to any burger I had at a fancy restaurant.

4. For a number of years, we raised our own turkeys and butchered them just before Thanksgiving. They were always delicious. Surprisingly, if we butchered them the morning of Thanksgiving, they took only about 2 hours for a 14 plus pound bird to cook in the oven. That is because the bird was already warm inside and out! One time friends of ours cooked a bird we raised, in front of a fireplace. They hung the bird by its legs from a thick stand of yarn. They spun it in circles in front of the fire and basted it as it cooked. They kept a small dish beneath it to collect the juices. Again, slightly smoky, tender and delicious. And again, took only a couple hours to completely cook.

5. Home raised chicken is better by far than the best store bought chicken. We raised chickens for a number of years too and they always tasted so much better than storebought it made me wish I could always eat birds I raised myself. Unfortunately I stopped. Maybe someday I'll start up again....

6. My brother raises pigs on his dairy farm and feeds them milk daily. The bacon from those pigs is the best bacon ever. Hard to describe, it just has a full flavor and was delicious. I have never had bacon even close to that good from anywhere else.

7. Fresh caught lobster from Maine. Need I say anything else???

8. Squid caught off the dock in Maine. Steeped in lime juice and garlic then lightly grilled. Amazing.

9. Swordfish caught in the Atlantic off the Brazilian coast the same day, lightly grilled. Spectacular! Same for fresh sardines, but cooked in italian spices and oil in the oven. Unbelievable.

10. Unbelievable variety of fresh fruit in Brazil, many of which are not commercially available. I don't even know many of their names, but I remember their flavors even now, nearly 40 years later.....

Have any of you had unusual and delicious food experiences?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Another two by my grandmother:

Elderberry slump. It sounds awful. It is amazing!
Collect elderberries and clean them. Cook them on top of the stove in a lot of sugar (because they are fairly tannic, almost bitter). Put biscuit batter on top. It is important that the biscuit mix not be sweet but slightly salty and baking powder that you can slightly taste. Bisquick worked great for this. The first day it was good, but over time it got better and better.

Rice pudding with yellow raisins.
My grandmother made a nice sweet custard, then added rice and raisins. On top, she sprinkled cinnamon. Again when you first ate it on day 1, it was nice, but by day 5 it was spectacular!!!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
My grandmother would make sanguinaccio, blood pudding made from fresh pigs blood, no idea what she put in it besides cinnamon and raisins.

Soffritto - heart, liver, lungs and kidneys fried in a cast iron pan with onions, black pepper and evoo

Capozzelli - baked lamb heads with home made croutons.

Bone marrow flan,

I can go on...

Pooh6369

Pooh6369

Oct 13, 2019
My mom's side of the family is Cajun. Have eaten pig from nose to tails.
Head cheese
Snout
Ears
ECT..... Peasant food is the best food

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Head cheese
Cod Liver paste
fermented shark
hardfishkur or what ever it was called

I've tried allot of weird shit in every country I have traveled to I cant even think of it all

haggis

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
My grandmother would make sanguinaccio, blood pudding made from fresh pigs blood, no idea what she put in it besides cinnamon and raisins.

Soffritto - heart, liver, lungs and kidneys fried in a cast iron pan with onions, black pepper and evoo

Capozzelli - baked lamb heads with home made croutons.

Bone marrow flan,

I can go on...

Yes, but were they delicious? The bone marrow flan sounds a little challenging...... then again "lambs heads"? WTF are those???? hahaha!

Jin

Jin

MuscleHead
Jun 15, 2018
Sweet breads (absolutely love these). If you don’t know what they are google it.
Offal (pretty much everything)

China:
Fried scorpions (delicious)
Fried starfish (awful)
Pig brain
Snake/snake blood/snake bile

Thailand:
Different types of insects (grasshoppers etc)
Grubs

Japan:
Whale
Raw horse
Shiroko (“little white children” aka fish sperm sack).
Natto (I eat this daily and love it)

Korea:
Fermented sting ray (tastes like ammonia). Ok if you eat it correctly.

I’ll try anything at least once unless the smell is so bad I couldn’t get it down (“stinky tofu” in China. No way).

Of these I would go out of my way to eat the fried scorpions and grasshoppers and raw horse meat again. All delicious. Whale is hit or miss depending on how it’s served. I’ve had 6 whale dishes and liked 3 and disliked 3.

You have Long Pork? May I try some?

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic