Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Umbilical Hernia help?

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
I had the surgery without the mesh. The hernia is back in the same spot (right next to the scar tissue)!!!

I'm no medical person and can't offer anything other then ....having had the surgery without the mesh didn't work out for me.

That's a real life experience.... versus brainstorming the topic..

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
I had the surgery without the mesh. The hernia is back in the same spot (right next to the scar tissue)!!!

I'm no medical person and can't offer anything other then ....having had the surgery without the mesh didn't work out for me.

I hear yea. They still use the mesh everyday. If you got a good doc then you will be fine with the mesh.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010

Mine is peaking through the scar area where I had emergency surgery 4 years ago.

The mesh technique my "current" surgeon showed me has the mesh on the outside of the muscle wall -

Thanks for insight, middie.

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
Want to get back to an original question by Crowman: Spoke to a trainer-friend and he said that the "right" belt can help a lot BUT some folks become overly dependent on the belt and never train their mid-section.

Also pushing against the belt and using it as a crutch is a common practice. What should be done is to lift semi-heavy (relative to the person lifting) without a belt while maintaining abdominal integrity. And then lifting the same weight on your next workout with a belt while ALSO maintaining abdominal integrity. In other words keep your midsection tight at all times. (Like if you are expecting to be punched in the stomach at any time;-)

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
Don't want to beat this to death, but one last thing:
Ran into the cat with the previously infected mesh at the gym and he was deadlifting.

I called him crazy.

And he then lifted his sweatshirt and showed me a special shirt he called the insta-slim which was keeping his mid-section super tight. He told me fat-folks use these shirts to keep their six pack in. And that it was a big help in keeping his mid-section under control.
Just FYI...

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
I have an umbilical hernia and 3 years ago I asked my buddy for advice and this is what he wrote below. This guy is a professional powerlifter who holds at least one national record. He's one of the most knowledgeable people you'll ever come across. I followed what he said and within a month I was pain free and everything popped back in. 3 years later I'm still fine.

Well your description does sound like a mild umbilical hernia. I've seen and treated a few and even have one myself. From all I have seen and heard, I would avoid the surgery and mesh if the tear is small. I do think that your body can repair the area better than the mesh given the chance.

That is what I chose to do and at this point have had zero pain for several years. Initially my tear was about the size of a pencil eraser and there was a good amount of tissue coming through that I could poke back in with my finger. Pretty gross feeling. BUT I was careful with the area and treated it right. I would say it took about 2 months to stabilize, scar over and become pain or sensation free.

If you wait and it gets worse will the recovery time be longer? Well, depends how bad it gets. The potential is that the tear becomes larger and you get some bowel entrapment or some other dying tissue. IMO the risk waiting for you is very small. You know your body and would recognize the increase in pain/change in size shape etc long before any serious complication could arise.

Some suggestions

Cotton ball in belly button (I soaked mine in a herbal liniment to speed healing) Tape it down. This will keep the area warmer, increasing blood flood and provide some support.

Wear a belt but NOT tight.

I would not do anything that puts the ab's on stretch of a while. I suggest dropping all overhead pulling movements for a little while esp chins.

If it scars over right it will be stronger than before!

Last edited:
Z

zedhed

Oct 4, 2010
Ive had one for the last 3 years now. Since that happened I use a belt when every I lift specifically for the purpose of holding it in. It is still the same size as it originally was. So I would say in my case the belt has done exactly what I was hoping it would do and thats keeping it from progressing.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic