Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Umbilical Hernia help?

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
My kidney Doc told me i have a minor hernia. i don't feel it, it doesn't hurt. He said he found it near my belly button or in it i guess. I wear a belt while training. is there anything i can do to help prevent this from further progressing? Will crunches help?
i have good abs so i never work them but id be glad to start to avoid this from getting worse. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I had an issue with this and had heard belts can further weaken your stomach. But I'd like any info people have as well.

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
If the doc said this "minor hernia" behind belly button I dont think that is very uncommon.
We all know a hernia is a tear in the ab wall ever so small. As it gets bigger it can become a
problem. I believe all you can do is keep that ab all strong and tight. This might never become
any issue that needs addressed.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I had a more major one in that very area, and while it was not painful, after a while it would no longer stay in, and would keep coming out. Eventually had to have the surgery with the mesh. It did the trick and I haven't had any issues since, despite my lifting.

If a minor hernia means the tear is small, but all the way through the diaphraghm wall, I'm not sure you can do too much. The tear is already there. It's going to want to grow slowly over time, I suspect.

Wheyrage

Wheyrage

Jun 26, 2011
I had a more major one in that very area, and while it was not painful, after a while it would no longer stay in, and would keep coming out. Eventually had to have the surgery with the mesh. It did the trick and I haven't had any issues since, despite my lifting.

If a minor hernia means the tear is small, but all the way through the diaphraghm wall, I'm not sure you can do too much. The tear is already there. It's going to want to grow slowly over time, I suspect.

Same issue. It will not repair itself. They get worse.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
There are three cases in which we worry about hernias.

1. Strangulation
2. Incarceration
3. Pain control

Strangulation is when bloodflow is cut off from the herniated area. Incarceration is when the bow is cut off so that nothing can move through that section of the bowel and it becomes impacted. The third can happen from inflammation but not necessarily be strangulated or incarcerated. Strangulation and incarceration are both considered emergencies and need to be fixed urgently. Usually if none of these three things are the issue in the herniation appears to reduce itself then typically you can just leave it alone and continue working out as you normally would. The only thing I might worry about a little bit is using a belt. Sometimes having a lot of pressure over hernia and then exerting force can actually cause more inflammation and exacerbate the hernia. You can probably just ask your doctor about that one though and get his opinion

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
There are three cases in which we worry about hernias.

1. Strangulation
2. Incarceration
3. Pain control

Strangulation is when bloodflow is cut off from the herniated area. Incarceration is when the bow is cut off so that nothing can move through that section of the bowel and it becomes impacted. The third can happen from inflammation but not necessarily be strangulated or incarcerated. Strangulation and incarceration are both considered emergencies and need to be fixed urgently. Usually if none of these three things are the issue in the herniation appears to reduce itself then typically you can just leave it alone and continue working out as you normally would. The only thing I might worry about a little bit is using a belt. Sometimes having a lot of pressure over hernia and then exerting force can actually cause more inflammation and exacerbate the hernia. You can probably just ask your doctor about that one though and get his opinion

im not sure why but reading this made me squeemish. Something about hernias always scared me. so a belt makes it worse? dman i would have thought the opposite. Well on a good note all my heavy weights are about to go out the window when i start working with meadows this month.

Times Roman

Times Roman

MuscleHead
Oct 27, 2012
My kidney Doc told me i have a minor hernia. i don't feel it, it doesn't hurt. He said he found it near my belly button or in it i guess. I wear a belt while training. is there anything i can do to help prevent this from further progressing? Will crunches help?
i have good abs so i never work them but id be glad to start to avoid this from getting worse. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this.

I have one. and all this time, I thought it was just an "outtie". doesn't bother me in the least.

if it's not bugging you, and is a result from birth like me, I'd just forget about it. unless this is a recent development?

B

Bigwhite

MuscleHead
Mar 20, 2013
I have read this is very common with weight lifters because the belly button is a weak point…

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
im not sure why but reading this made me squeemish. Something about hernias always scared me. so a belt makes it worse? dman i would have thought the opposite. Well on a good note all my heavy weights are about to go out the window when i start working with meadows this month.

There used to be a time when compression on the hernia was used to attempt to keep it pushed in during activity. Year later, we know that that actually causes more inflammation and has a higher liklihood of strangulation, and, it could also be weakening the muscle around the supported hernia. However, in this situation, I would ask your doc, because for a very small umbilical hernia, I am not 100% sure on this one, only sharing what I know. I could actually be wrong in this circumstance, so I don't want to lead you wrong.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I was told mine is "minor" but it's when not if having the mesh surgery is going to happen. My dr said it could be 6 months it could be ten years.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012

I had one for five years or more. I held it in when pooping cause I was worried about putting pressure on it, but otherwise did nothing with it, even when squatting and it didn't get much worse for a very long time. The last six months, though, it started to get a little bit larger. I had it fixed last summer and after a six week recovery I went back to the gym. Now I'm as good as new.

My doctor told me if it got painful, to get right to an emergency room because it is possible to strangulate your intestines in it, and gangrene can set in in a matter of several hours.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic