jacobss
What's New?

UFC Fight Night: Almeida vs. Lewis ---11/4

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011

UFC Fight Night: Almeida vs. Lewis in Sao Paulo Brazil on 11/4.

Main Card:
Jailton Almeida (19-2) vs Derrick Lewis (27-11-1)
Gabriel Bonfim (?) vs Nicolas Dalby (22-4)
Rodrigo Nascimento (10-1-1) vs Don'Tale Mayes (10-5-1)
Caio Barralho (14-1-1) vs Abus Magomedov (?)
Rodolfo Vieira (9-2) vs Armen Petrosyan (?)
Ismael Bonfim (?) vs Vinc Pichel (14-3)

Some pretty good fights.

Almeida vs Lewis is the typical wrestler/JJ vs Striker. Both are savages. Lewis looked invigorated in his last fight. Almeida has been tearing through everybody. His only 2 loses were when he was just starting, or rather back in like 2018. He is undefeated (6-0) in the UFC and has a lot of hype behind him.

I can't remember which Bonfim is which, lol. IIRC, I think Garbiel is the more talked about brother with a better record?

Caio Barralho has got a lot better, awkward style, but a big athletic guy. I think Abus is the guy that Sean Strickland beat prior to the fight he had for the title. Abus had a super strong round against Strickland, then he came out in the 2nd round gassed and Sean poured it on him. He had a lot of hype prior to that fight. If he can pace himself and not dump his energy, he seems to be really good.

Vieira/Petrosyan is another JJ phenom vs a striker. Viera will strike, but he is a ground guy form sure. If he does not utilize his ground game, he could lose. I can't remember how versed Petrosyan's ground game is, I want to say it is not very good. I'd have to look that up though, and he does not have a wiki entry.

Bonfim/Pichel should be a banger. Pichel is super cocky and pretty damn good.

THOUGHTS?

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
Damn I gotta get back to watching/following mma again. I only recognize three names on that card. I used to be able to talk about every fighter on every card.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I am gonna try to get home to watch it.

I wonder if Gabriel and Ishmael Bonfim are brothers?

Gabriel is a submission ace Ishmael is more of a striker. Both are real tough and a lot of wins at the lower levels. I think Gabriel might have just 1 loss and he is fighting Dalby who is a really well rounded gatekeeper type fighter. Very skilled and tough. Would prefer to stand.

Ishmael is facing Pichel who reminds me a lot of Sean Strickland with a boxing attack. This one should be good.

I do not know Armen Petrosyan or a few others on the card.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
@jipped genes, Yea, they are brothers.

The Ismael Bonfim vs Pichel fight was cancelled. Bonfim came in at 155.9#, so 3.5# over the limit. Pichel decided to call the match and cash in. I was looking forward to that fight too, so it sucks.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
@jipped genes, Yea, they are brothers.

The Ismael Bonfim vs Pichel fight was cancelled. Bonfim came in at 155.9#, so 3.5# over the limit. Pichel decided to call the match and cash in. I was looking forward to that fight too, so it sucks.
So Bonfim came in at 155.9 lbs? At lightweight where the limit is 155+1 so 156? I do not get it.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Some good fights tonight.

Fukk yea, Dalby humbled Bonfim. Dalby is a badass. He withered the storm of round 1, got taken down in round 2, but got back to his feet and kept constant pressure on Bonfim and tired him out. He went to town on Bonfim for like 1-1.5 minutes and caused Bonfim to drop down and curl up. Huge fan of Dalby. I forgot I had watched him fight prior. Totally shut down the Brazilian fans, LOL!

The Borralho/Magomedov fight was pretty good. Both came out slow in the first round, not sure who won it personally. Borralho got stronger as the fight went on to later rounds. He stopped Magomedov in the 3rd round. Borralho is a good fighter, kind of weird in a good way, but he is overdramatic like the Brazilian women. Should be interesting to see who they give him next.

Main fight coming up next....Almeida/Lewis!!!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Almeida won all 5 rounds by take down and lay-n-pray pretty much....from the full mount. What a snooze-fest. Almeida is NOT going to do well against more rounded fighters, in my armchair opinion.

I actually give more props to Lewis not taking any damage and not getting submitted. Lewis did not look winded at all, but Almeida was sucking wind hard. If Lewis was better in preventing the takedowns, it could have been interesting. Lewis took this fight on 3 weeks' notice. He was in good shape though.

Almeida called out Ciryl Gane.

He will probably beat Gane by the same manner since Gane is horrendous on the ground.

He is young, but he needs to improve a lot. Definitely not the phenom with the hype he has behind him.

He will get decimated by Jon Jones, even a young Jon Jones. I think Curtis Blades may have been a more interesting fight since he has a better wrestling background than Lewis.

We'll see...weird fight though, lol.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Agree with all you have said bro. I become a HUGE Dalby fan with that one. When you look up "hard nosed" in the dictionary you should see a pic of Dalby.

I was less impressed with Almeida's win than I was Lewis's ability to survive 5 rounds against a BJJ monster. He has really evolved, even his TD defense was better. Still not good but dammit, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

• Fight of the Night: Nicolas Dalby vs. Gabriel Bonfim
  • Performance of the Night: Elves Brener and Vitor Petrino

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Agree with all you have said bro. I become a HUGE Dalby fan with that one. When you look up "hard nosed" in the dictionary you should see a pic of Dalby.

I was less impressed with Almeida's win than I was Lewis's ability to survive 5 rounds against a BJJ monster. He has really evolved, even his TD defense was better. Still not good but dammit, you can teach an old dog new tricks.

• Fight of the Night: Nicolas Dalby vs. Gabriel Bonfim
  • Performance of the Night: Elves Brener and Vitor Petrino
Yea, I really didn't know how to word everything in that last post, lol. the commentators (Bisping et al) I could tell were the same. It's weird saying something negative about a guy who wins all 5 rounds, yet was kind of a disappointment. BUT then, maybe it was because of Lewis. Lewis was super calm on his back, it was really cool to see that. I think it helped him conserve energy for all 5 rounds....well, that and I know he's been losing weight and taking care of himself better and exercising. I thought the fight was over so many times in the 1st and 2nd rounds, but then I noticed that Almeida was frustrated he couldn't do anything, so he just layed on him. I know he was worried about Lewis throwing him off, but damn, at least throw some elbows in that position:(

Even with such a boring fight, I am always at the edge of my seat when watching Lewis, he can end it at any time. I was hoping the ref would have stood them up one last time in the final round when Almeida wasn't doing anything.

Dalby is a straight up warrior! I thought Bonfim was gonna take him, but he kept calm on the ground similar to Lewis. That's good to see they got FOTN!

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Yea, I really didn't know how to word everything in that last post, lol. the commentators (Bisping et al) I could tell were the same. It's weird saying something negative about a guy who wins all 5 rounds, yet was kind of a disappointment. BUT then, maybe it was because of Lewis. Lewis was super calm on his back, it was really cool to see that. I think it helped him conserve energy for all 5 rounds....well, that and I know he's been losing weight and taking care of himself better and exercising. I thought the fight was over so many times in the 1st and 2nd rounds, but then I noticed that Almeida was frustrated he couldn't do anything, so he just layed on him. I know he was worried about Lewis throwing him off, but damn, at least throw some elbows in that position:(

Even with such a boring fight, I am always at the edge of my seat when watching Lewis, he can end it at any time. I was hoping the ref would have stood them up one last time in the final round when Almeida wasn't doing anything.

Dalby is a straight up warrior! I thought Bonfim was gonna take him, but he kept calm on the ground similar to Lewis. That's good to see they got FOTN!

Yeah, when Dereck was able to stand up or the first of the round he is always dangerous. I think even in a slump he will have a job. Just feed him stand up guys. It puts butts in the seats.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic