Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

The Relationship between height and maximum strength

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I know I am stating the obvious here, but it is interesting when I am just talking in the gym how shorter guys always seem to have the advantage of short levers and are therefor better powelifters (and in the bbing world the appear to get bigger faster). Now, I am not here to rag on shorter guys or brag on taller lifters, but there seams to be a turn around point where the shorter lifter maxes start to stall while a average say 5'10'' guy continues to climb. For me I am surrounded by guys who are shorter 5'5" or so, while I am 5'11" who seamed to sky rocket to sqauting 405 well before me. I think it took me 5 years to hit 405 for one ugly rep while my shorter counterparts hit that after 3 or so years of hard training.

But, know after 10 years it seams like most of those guys have stalled with 405 for reps and I have countinued to cruise right on past 500lbs. So, what I am saying is that maybe in gym conversations I may hesitate next time someone says, well look how short his limbs are, he has a real advantage. In truth, I guess "he" does untill a point, just like a shorter bber, but then the advantage goes to the guy with a larger frame who can support more muscle and weight.

I wonder if anyone has found a height to max ratio as I would be interested on when that turning point is. I know for me I still have room for improvement and growth, while I think a few of my short tank like bro's have reached the end of the line...

Hawk

blubbard

blubbard

TID Lady Member
May 31, 2012
Donnie Thompson is 6 '2" with a 3000 lb total. Konstantinos is 6'3" with a 2200 something raw total. Lots of tall guys are at the top of the sport.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Short guys definitely can get some great leverages... look at lifters like Jason Coker , Sean frankl, or Ed Coan....

On the flip side Donnie is 6'2", KK is 6'3", Malanichev and Koklyaev are also tall, Andy Bolton, Benni Magnusson, and other 900+ pullers are all tall too....

but if you do the work it'll come regardless of height. I was a beanpole when I started. Couldn't even bench a plate. But as I kept working I kept progressing even though I'm tall as fuck.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Its not just about height. Its about appendage length, torso length as well. Look at Benedikt Magnusson.... His arms damn near reach down to his knees. Not a huge ROM even with his height.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I think height is only a small factor in lifts. It depends on the lift too. My overhead is decent but I have a short range of motion due to short arms. I have short arms and short legs but my deadlift is decent too however my squat sucks. I am only 5'5 .

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic